PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Weezl

Well - thanks again for all your efforts indexing on our behalf - have duly located the ones I want.

Right - I'm gearing up for the korma recipe - have been out today and bought most of the ingredients - just gotta have a looksee tomorrow re a couple of bits and hopefully it will be all systems go for dinner tomorrow. I noted you used leeks, cauliflower and carrot for the veg. Well - with shopping as organically as possible (ie not perfect - but the best the local shops will provide) - I've got my organic leeks and I picked up organic mushrooms (reduced to 49p - figured I could use them anyways) and organic tomatoes (reduced to £1.29 - also figured I could use them anyways). Will scout elsewhere tomorrow and should be able to get carrots and might get cauliflower if I am lucky. It is much more a question of what one can get when shopping organically as poss. (rather than setting out with a fixed list of ingredients). Though I do "cheat" if I am determined to have a particular ingredient or two - and get the best I can (which may or may not be organic). I couldnt find thick type organic yogurt or organic single cream in the supermarket I was in - so I bought thinner type yogurt and half-fat creme fraiche - and thought maybe between the two I would get the texture I want, without the "sourness" of the creme fraiche changing things for the worse - but again - I will see if I can get nearer to the original ingredients in tomorrow's "shop" (they say one cant freeze creme fraiche on the container - but am inclined to think it would go mushy - but still "do" if need be). Cardamom - hmm....never actually bought them before...vague idea I've only had them before in Middle Eastern type coffee - oh well, in the basket those cardamom pods went, with me thinking "one learns summat new everyday".

Speaking of learning "summat new" two thoughts:

- have you seen the newspaper articles recently regarding eating insects: red ant, small grasshopper, giant water beetle, cricket and silkworm pupae for instance? Hmmm....:p ..the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation is officially trying to tempt us into trying them - as it would contribute to sustainable development.:cool: Well...I see their point (though - being a bit of a political animal like I am I would be making a few points back;) )....but that rates as a heavy-duty yuk factor in my book. Of course - if you are feeling adventurous - then I do recall a favourite pop singer of my youth (ie Cat Stevens) stating in an interview that he liked chocolate-covered ants! Errrmmm...maybe I shouldnt have said...one never knows what weezl may try:eek: .

- the other thought - well a certain book that shall be nameless (but the author was telling us that the leaves of tomato plants are edible:eek: ) - said one can use dock leaves as a substitute for loo paper in certain "necessary activities"...hmmm....well, in the name of research, I have picked a handful of them today and they are sitting there whilst I debate whether I have the nerve to try them or no;) Just got this feeling somehow they might just bung up a conventional plumbed-in loo like I have.....(now how would I explain that to any plumber I had to call out?).

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Regarding the index - and any idea of extending it to accommodate new recipes - I was wondering whether you might follow the lead of a poster on another thread on this Board (ie the cider-making one) and put in a post or two to just "reserve a space" so to say for further indexing purposes and then put a line in the first post referring people to post xyz for the rest of the index? Just a thought..
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! Busyish day here! Love the recipe Shaz!! As for dock leaves I suspect poor Mr Weezl would be ut the door quicker n you could say jack flash! I mean poor bloke has to put up with wifes madcap ideas but wiping your **** with local greenery is asking a bit much dont you think...as is nicking it from work before anyone suggests it!!
    Am more than happy to donate some bog roll as necesary and there is pleanty of digging in exchange for goods!! (or bads depending on how you describe my cooking!!)...just about to order some potatoes!! I managed to scavenge a few today (for 50p!!) but they were looking past their best to say the least so thought I would order some instead...should be ready in time for Christmas!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I was cooking dinner tonight I thought you guys might like it too but I cant keep it warm 'til you are all here so here is the recipe instead.
    Swedish Pyttipanna

approx 6 big servings

1.4 kg potatoes 300g leftover cooked meat (roast, sausages, ham etc) (or 250g mince and hotdogs)
    1 large onion
    2-3 tbsp oil
    salt
    black pepper

1-2 eggs/person

Cut potatoes in 1cm cubes. Put in a saucepan and bring to a boil, drain and rinse in cold water.
    Chop the meat finely or fry the mince.
    Chop onion.
    Toss all of the ingredients in the oil and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
    Put it all in a non-sticklarge roasting tin and cook on 200[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]C [/FONT]until the potatoes are done.
    Stir once halfway through cooking time
    Serve with panfried eggs on top and pickled beetroot (traditional)

Sometimes I substitute some of the potato for diced swede or carrot and I usually serve it with gherkins rather than beetroot.
    We also have ketchup with it.
    To make it healthier you can serve it with poached eggs thus cutting out extra fat from frying.
    Smoked meats add more flavour.
    )h, and it all tastes great washed down with a beer (for the vitamin B of course! :D)

Hope someone finds this useful.
    Maybe Weezl will cost it as I have always regarded it as a cheap meal but that is just a guess.

Shaz(or anyone with the answer): What is continental lentils???
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Now I've been thinking (dangerous - esp at the same time as ordering potato plants!!) about the end of the challenge and would like to propose a knees up on the last weekend of the challenge which is (uness I am mistaken!) on Sat 28th June. Now bearing in mind we all live at other ends of the country I propose to feed Mr & Mrs Weezl top nosh here with copious amounts of alcohol while having virtual party with the rest of you which I hope will be great fun & include copious amounts of dreadfully unhealthy food, no nettles, [strike]rhubarb sticks [/strike] japanise knotweed or lentils and loo paper that has neither been counted or squashed!
    What do pepys think?! I think this challenge has been an inspiration and great fun to many and would like the formal ending to go with a bang! Weezl you up for it? I know that some would be interested but as you would be guest of honour with Mr Weezl you have to reply first so ask Mr Weezl (never one to turn down food in my experience!!) and let us know your thoughts! May also bribe you with the mention of CHOCOLATE and no digging required!:rotfl: :rotfl:
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I dont suppose you fancy costing it weezl

Shaz

I make it £1.93 the lot, did you use butter to mash the spuds? I'll add some on for that... How many servings d'you reckon it makes?

Losing the Leeks, and adding extra onion would make it even more frugal mcDougal, as leeks are 5 times the price by weight of onions at the mo, but a very similar flavour when cooked down!

It'd only make a few pence difference per serving tho shaz! Just me with my ultra-thrifty head on... (have you seen my sig? Less than a pound a week!!!:eek:)

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi germish

Well - I'm a vegetarian myself..thinking of your recipe you have shared..

BUT...do you have any nice cheap veggie Swedish recipes for us purlease?
  • weezl74
    Options
    Now I've been thinking (dangerous - esp at the same time as ordering potato plants!!) about the end of the challenge and would like to propose a knees up on the last weekend of the challenge which is (uness I am mistaken!) on Sat 28th June. Now bearing in mind we all live at other ends of the country I propose to feed Mr & Mrs Weezl top nosh here with copious amounts of alcohol while having virtual party with the rest of you which I hope will be great fun & include copious amounts of dreadfully unhealthy food, no nettles, [strike]rhubarb sticks [/strike] japanise knotweed or lentils and loo paper that has neither been counted or squashed!
    What do pepys think?! I think this challenge has been an inspiration and great fun to many and would like the formal ending to go with a bang! Weezl you up for it? I know that some would be interested but as you would be guest of honour with Mr Weezl you have to reply first so ask Mr Weezl (never one to turn down food in my experience!!) and let us know your thoughts! May also bribe you with the mention of CHOCOLATE and no digging required!:rotfl: :rotfl:

Just read your post out loud to Mr Weezl, he laughed and speaks for us both when he says we'd be delighted. He'd also like to reassure you all that he was in no pain whatsoever when the '2 kettler' emerged. Have I shared too much?! :o

Wouldn't it be a fitting tribute to the thread tho' if we did have elderflower fritters washed down with Shaz's dandy wine, and a nettle bhajee?

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Maybe Weezl will cost it as I have always regarded it as a cheap meal but that is just a guess.

Shaz(or anyone with the answer): What is continental lentils???

Sounds yummy!! Priced up with smoked bacon pieces for the meat and 1 egg each (but not from a happy chicken alas!) It's a bargainous 32p per person :money::T

Continental lentils are the green ones, they are fatter and more 'savory' than the red ones, I think. Nomnomnom :D

• germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm, you can always make the pyttipanna with soya mince or other meat substitutes, or use more mixed rootveg and poss. mushrooms instead of the meat.
    Here is another one I really like.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Janssons Frestelse (Jansson’s Delight)
    serves 4
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 6 – 8 (800g) potatoes
    2 medium onions
    2 tbsp butter
    2 cans Swedish anchovies (or sundried tomatoes and vegetable stock for a vegetarian version)
    1 ½ Cups light cream or plain soymilk
    Peel the potatoes and cut into thin sticks or grate. Slice the onions into rings and saut! lightly in 1 tbsp butter or margarine. Drain and dice the anchovies, reserving the liquid for later use ( if making a vegetarian one use stock).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place the potatoes, saut!ed onions and anchovies in layers in a greased baking dish – starting and ending with potatoes. Dot with butter or margarine and pour half of the anchovy liquid and half of the soymilk or cream on top.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bake at 400 F for 20 mins. Pour rest of cream or soymilk on top and bake until the potatoes are tender (about 30 mins).[/FONT]

Apparently capers work well instead of sundried tomatoes in the vegetarian version.

As you can see swedish food is very much about potatoes and rootveg but generally served with meat or fish thogh, if I find any vegetarian ones I'll let you know Ceridwen.
  • weezl74
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Hmm, you can always make the pyttipanna with soya mince or other meat substitutes, or use more mixed rootveg and poss. mushrooms instead of the meat.
    Here is another one I really like.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Janssons Frestelse (Jansson’s Delight)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 6 – 8 potatoes
    2 medium onions
    2 tbsp butter
    2 cans Swedish anchovies (or sundried tomatoes and vegetable stock for a vegetarian version)
    1 ½ Cups light cream or plain soymilk
    Peel the potatoes and cut into thin sticks or grate. Slice the onions into rings and saut! lightly in 1 tbsp butter or margarine. Drain and dice the anchovies, reserving the liquid for later use ( if making a vegetarian one use stock).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Place the potatoes, saut!ed onions and anchovies in layers in a greased baking dish – starting and ending with potatoes. Dot with butter or margarine and pour half of the anchovy liquid and half of the soymilk or cream on top.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bake at 400 F for 20 mins. Pour rest of cream or soymilk on top and bake until the potatoes are tender (about 30 mins).[/FONT]
    As you can see swedish food is very much about potatoes and rootveg but generally served with meat or fish thogh, if I find any vegetarian ones I'll let you know Ceridwen.

This sounds lovely, How many does it serve?:T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family