PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Mr weezl
    Weezl wanted me to independently verify that:
    a) I am alive
    b) I am not wasting away
    c) I am actually enjoying my life and not constrained to exist on Gruel in an Oliver kind of way.

:o

Nice to meet you (virtually) at last my hubby wouldnt even know how to get on the site nevermind create a online persona

pleased to hear that you are a,b and c some of us were wondering???

good to have you on board now remember you two

NO ARGUEING IN PUBLIC...LOL:rotfl:

Shaz
    Shaz
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: Acetate Monkey...your sausage casserole is definately going to be attempted in BigMumma's house in the very near future. One of the offspring will give it a go NQA; one will moan till enough hot air is expelled to cook the damned thing without an oven & the third falls twix either camps dependant on current mood swing velocity:D

I had to smile at the suggestion of using doc leaves as TP; may be more appropriate after a feast of nettles, given the remedial effects of using said leaves after being stung by said nettles:eek: [Did anyone else's botty just twitch then:o] Have to say that top of my list of must-haves if stranded on a desert island is a flushing loo, closely followed by a good knife & equally good sharpener for it; think I could cope with everything else as long as I had those......

I'm on the cadge again--:idea: the theme for your next challenge Weezl!--for natural products to replace things like air freshner & fly killer. Three of us are sensitive souls so highly perfumed products are a no-go here anyway & I've just been round the shoe cupboard with an own label 'neutralising' spray. I put bicarb in the trainers but it doesn't seem to make any difference, so what would you good folk suggest?

We keep a box of matches in the loo for the more nifty numbers;) & I use the white vinegar/bicarb/water mix for anything that stands still, but it would be nice to have a little whiff of something other than BO & damp dog occasionally:undecided

Look what you've started now AM, with you're record-breaking u-bend log:doh:Perhaps this thread should be renamed the Budgeteers Confessional:rotfl:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    Hi all been baking today

baking007.jpg

i studded some honobs with choc chips before cooking and they worked out well i mixed the chips int the mix last time and they melted on contact

the bran loaf is now dairy free i replaced the milk with apple juice and used half the sugar

i made the loaf in a cake tin it is my new fave shape

the lemon poppy seed muffins are for a poor deprived uncle who's wife never bakes:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

and before anyone says how tidy my kitchen is .........................all the junk has been pushed out of shot!!!

college tonight so tata for now

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    :hello: Acetate Monkey...your sausage casserole is definately going to be attempted in BigMumma's house in the very near future. One of the offspring will give it a go NQA; one will moan till enough hot air is expelled to cook the damned thing without an oven & the third falls twix either camps dependant on current mood swing velocity:D

I had to smile at the suggestion of using doc leaves as TP; may be more appropriate after a feast of nettles, given the remedial effects of using said leaves after being stung by said nettles:eek: [Did anyone else's botty just twitch then:o] Have to say that top of my list of must-haves if stranded on a desert island is a flushing loo, closely followed by a good knife & equally good sharpener for it; think I could cope with everything else as long as I had those......

I'm on the cadge again--:idea: the theme for your next challenge Weezl!--for natural products to replace things like air freshner & fly killer. Three of us are sensitive souls so highly perfumed products are a no-go here anyway & I've just been round the shoe cupboard with an own label 'neutralising' spray. I put bicarb in the trainers but it doesn't seem to make any difference, so what would you good folk suggest?

We keep a box of matches in the loo for the more nifty numbers;) & I use the white vinegar/bicarb/water mix for anything that stands still, but it would be nice to have a little whiff of something other than BO & damp dog occasionally:undecided

Look what you've started now AM, with you're record-breaking u-bend log:doh:Perhaps this thread should be renamed the Budgeteers Confessional:rotfl:

heres a basic green cleaning site how about oil burners or incense cones for adding smells or just a bowl of water with essential oil in placed in the room citronella my fave at the mo i also put used tumble dryer sheets in airing cupboard and stuff them behind radiators in winter how about making lavender bags and pot pourri too

Shaz
    Shaz
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That all looks yummy Shaz!! I might have to bake something now.........

Also Shaz what curry paste do you use for the potato and chickpea curry?? I never really cooked a curry before and there seems to be an array of pastes out there.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all

Just thought i'd pop by as i have just had my first attempt at making baguettes.... a bit more faff than a basic white loaf but they look and feel lovely -well a bit more practice on the shaping needed :D ... i think that it would easily make 6-8 smaller ones ..the ones i have done -each one is suposed to serve 3
    • 500g bread flour
    • 115g plain flour
    • 2tsp salt
    • 15 fresh yeast and
    • 550ml warm water
    let me know if anyone woud like the method and i will post it ;)

baguetteav3.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    They look good mrs m have you got the special trays??

i got some a while back i just use my basic white bread mix as the french bread recipe was too fiddly so i would be interested to see if yours was better

heres mine

cards011.jpg

Shazxx
    Shaz
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Will be interested to hear about the Swedish veggie stuff.... my veggie dd is going in August for 2/3 months as part of her gap year. She'll be staying with my friends. I love Jansson's Fredelse!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi purpleivy, been searching high and low and there really isn't much swedish veggie food about.
    Most traditional swedish food contain root veg of some kind but just about all of it is served with meat or fish, I even asked a veggie friend in sweden and she eats mostly asian foods and similar stuff that is posted here.
    If you have a look at this link you'll probably understand why....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_food
    As a teenager I didn't eat a lot of meat but I just used to leave that out and have everything else and it was mostly filling enough, also we eat a lot of bread with our meals which helps.

I could offer a rootveg casserole but I'm not sure there would be any surprises with it.
    Or Borstj (russian , I know) or maybe a beetroot stew but I am struggling......
    Let me know if any of those appeal.
    I will try to find more

Where in Sweden will she be staying?? There are big regional differences in food.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi shaz..

No i don't have the trays i used a folded tea towel..... I have just got out of the bath, where i have been trying to convince myself that i don't NEED the special trays:p .. but i don't think i managed it ;) so i may have to be on the look out for those out here :o
    Apparently using less yeast and treble proving is the difference between these and normal bread

The recipe goes like this... a bit more faff than a basic loaf -but they do feel very different:D and im sure it will be quicker now i know what im doing
    • blend the 15g of fresh yeast with 550ml lukewarm water
    • sift the flours (500g bread and 115g plain)and 2tsp salt together
    • beat half of the flour mix into the yeast/water to form a batter
    • cover with cling film/carrier bag and leave for about 3 hours or until about trebled in size
    • add the remaining flour a little at a time -mixing in with your hand (i found i needed quite a bit more flour at this point -think the flour out here is very soft)
    • tip onto a floured worktop and knead for 8-10 mins ... or as long as you can be bothered ;)
    • place in a clean bowl and cover for 1hr until doubled
    • knock back and turn out -cut into 3
    • shape each into a ball and then roll out to about 3"x6"
    • fold the bottom third up lengthways and the top third down and press down to seal the edges and roll out to 3"x6" again.. allow to rest whist you do the other 2 and then repeat each 2-3 times -ending up with an oblong
    • stretch each piece of dough to approx 14" -mine didn't end up that long :p .. i shaped mine by rolling up like a swiss roll and tucking the ends under
    • sprinkle flour on a tea towel and place 1 on... pinch the tea towel to make a wall -place the 2nd on and do the same
    • cover and allow to prove for 45-60 mins
    • pre-heat the oven to maximum
    • place rolls on a baking sheet -slash diagonally
    • place on the top shelf and spray the inside of the oven with water and bake for 20-25 mins
    • you need to spray the oven twice more during the 1st 5 mins
    I think next time im going to make 6 slightly more sensible sized ones ;)
    hope you enjoy them :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family