PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weezl,
    I'm sure it can be done with water but it will taste like boiled rice with cinnamon.
    I don't think it would be very nice honestly. Could use half milk half water, that should be ok.
  • germish_se
    Options
    To make Apple compote use the same recipe and method as Apple soup but halve the amount of water.
    I wouldn't do it with the Rosehip though, don't think it'd be nice somehow.
  • germish_se
    Options
    Swedish Dried fruit "compote"

Serves 4
    250 g dried fruit (one or several kinds)
    1 ltr water
    3-4 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp potato flour

Rinse the fruit and chop into smal pieces. Boil in the water for 10min. Add sugar and boil another 5 min.
    Dissolve potato flour in a little cold water, pour slowly into fruit mix whilst stirring, bring back to boil.
    Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle with sugar to avoid getting a “skin” on top.

The potato flour is essential to thicken the "compote" to a texture of wallpaper paste.

The compote is usually served with milk or single cream over, we used to have it as summer lunches with sliced cheese on ryebread or crispbread but it's also lovely as brekkie or pudding.
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    evening folks!

if anyones watching river cottage spring, he's made dandelion and burdock, thought it could be soomething for AM aka Mr Weezl to try, once it reaches july of course :D
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi weezl

I posted the method :rotfl: post 901 ;)
    I can now confirm that they ARE worth the extra effort :T hubby has had 1 with cheese salad and is taking the same for lunch tomorrow and he has announced that he "would eat them every day -thankyou very much" :D i had a bite to try and ooooooohhhhh they are very nice.
    Even though its a bit more effort -in the long run its easier for me because if i make a big loaf i can't get 3 packed lunches out of it for him... these little babies are that big 1 is enough for his lunch -have to cut it into 3 though -I can imagine the mess he would get in if i left it whole :eek:
    I did suggest making them smaller -but he doesn't think that is a good idea :p
    Don't know what your workings out are..but for me they came in at about :-
    16p for flour 1p for salt and 2p for yeast..19p for the lot :j ...
    Hope you try them and like them:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Well Shaz - I wouldnt have thought of using a sweet tin for baking in - one learns summat everyday (I thought I was being virtuous using the lid as a baking tray - but the thought hadnt occurred to me to use the rest for similar purpose).

Germish - See what you mean about Swedish food not being that veggie-friendly. National cuisines do vary in that respect. Thanks for the offer of those savoury recipes - but I think I might prefer (and perhaps you could share with us) the recipes for rice porridge (I have been known - frequently - to have my version of rice pudding for breakfast - but not sure it would be like that!). One or two fruit soup recipes might be nice as well purlease!:D

Right - will be going off shortly to do finishing stages of korma recipe and see whats what.

I have seen bread baked in terracotta flower pots (new ones) it looks very pretty especially the seeded type of bread

a bit like this

http://www.squirrelspantry.co.uk/recipes.htm

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    Dried fruit compote

Serves 4
    250 g dried fruit (one or several kinds)
    1 ltr water
    3-4 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp potato flour

Rinse the fruit and chop into smal pieces. Boil in the water for 10min. Add sugar and boil another 5 min.
    Dissolve potato flour in a little cold water, pour slowly into fruit mix whilst stirring, bring back to boil.
    Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle with sugar to avoid getting a “skin” on top.

The compote is usually served with milk or single cream over, we used to have it as summer lunches with sliced cheese on ryebread or crispbread but it's also lovely as brekkie or pudding.

i love compote whats the purpose of the potato flour

Ceridwen- you can put whole cardomon pods in pilau rice and you can use in rice pudding too just remove before you serve

Weezl - Now look keeping one hubby in cake is enough for me,besides our toilets not up to Mr W :rotfl:

I am doing a degree start couse,i am going to uni in september and this is an 8 wk ease you in gradually course for "mature students" i dont think hubby realises this will mean the end of baking as we know it....

Just waiting for grant decision now but as far as i can tell i will be a tenner better off than my current crappy part time job???

I have really enjoyed the course even though it been very english lit based and i am doing social science

Mrs M i paid a fiver for my tray its a 2 baton size one i think amazon have them too........yep this is like mine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Collection-Bakers-Pride-French/dp/B0000BVFCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1212655219&sr=1-1

Have a nice day everyone

Shaz
    Shaz
  • germish_se
    Options
    Shaz
    Hmm...... compote is the word i chose as there is no equvalent word in English for the actual swedish word. Compote is the nearest thing to "kräm" that I could think of. Translating is no easy business. ;-)
    The potato flour is essential to thicken the "compote" to a texture of wallpaper paste, you can use cornflour instead but it will make the ready product "cloudy" rather than clear and just don't look as appetizing.
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    I reckon recycled is more appealing in these eco-friendly times!

ISOM does hers for £1.50 a jar, how does that grab you?

Yeah, being self-employed can be quite hassly. What about a barter system or just selling to friends/family?

Or even using them as christmas/birthday pressies, cos they can be costly events eh? :eek:

Just some thoughts, hope they are of use ;)

I know I'm late replying to this Shaz, but a lady I used to work with had her kitchen licenced to prepare food and she used to use recycled jars but put wax disc, then cellophane with a laggy band thens a pretty material circle tied with raffia.

The Licensing people said this was ok as long as the cellophane was put on when jars still hottish so it went taut and formed a seal.

HTH
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    Options
    mama67 wrote: »
    I know I'm late replying to this Shaz, but a lady I used to work with had her kitchen licenced to prepare food and she used to use recycled jars but put wax disc, then cellophane with a laggy band thens a pretty material circle tied with raffia.

The Licensing people said this was ok as long as the cellophane was put on when jars still hottish so it went taut and formed a seal.

HTH

Thanks maisie had thought of this but when you open it you have no lid to put on it...........still experimenting with recipes and waiting for chutney to mature is a killer made some of weezls red onion marmalade and cant wait to try it cost about a quid for £8 of shop bought equivalent

Waiting till summer hoping fruit will be cheaper especially plums .............considering going round green grocers marketstalls at the end of saturdays and asking for their rejects (at a big discount obviously)

have been stocking up on frozen fruits though asda been doing blackberries for £1 and the same at mr ts for black forest fruits we are down to one jar of jam so might do that this weekend

The soap i made wont be usable for another two weeks ...the suspense is killing me

Take care

Shaz
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills