We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I have a logmaker and have the exact same problem. We have nowhere warm and dry to dry them. what I really SHOULD do is make them during summer months and then dry them outside but they really do take ages. I thought I was doing something wrong, as mine didn't have any 'dummies guide' of instructions with it. One thing I did find was that if you have access to dry leaves in autumn, these mix in with the newspapers. My worst problem is lack of newspapers as we don't buy them! :rotfl: Would it be PC to claim them FROM the waste paper recycling point rather than deposit them there?

you could go to neighbours and ask

we have the box recycling scheme we went around all the neighbours one morning after all the boxes were placed outside and knocked and asked if we could take wine bottles everyone said yes and now they leave them at our door :rotfl: :rotfl:

Our local tip is very anti-take-anything-away they say once it's in the skip it is their property i think this is due to staff wanting the rich pickings especially as scrap metal prices are so high at the minute

Shaz
    Shaz
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    skull wrote: »
    cook on open fire, carefully, and use suitable cookware (not all is). .

Anyone know where i can buy a cast iron dutch oven suitable for use on an ope fire??

Shaz
    Shaz
  • Lelc
    Lelc Posts: 558 Forumite
    Options
    For those asking about burning potato peelings

http://www.royalchimney.com/faqs.shtml

Hope that helps (hope the link works too).
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts - DFW Nerd 323
    Debt free date - January 2012
    Mortgage free date - November 2013
    Cross stitch cafe challenge member no 16
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I have a logmaker and have the exact same problem. We have nowhere warm and dry to dry them. what I really SHOULD do is make them during summer months and then dry them outside but they really do take ages. I thought I was doing something wrong, as mine didn't have any 'dummies guide' of instructions with it. One thing I did find was that if you have access to dry leaves in autumn, these mix in with the newspapers. My worst problem is lack of newspapers as we don't buy them! :rotfl: Would it be PC to claim them FROM the waste paper recycling point rather than deposit them there?

I would ask at the recycling place if you can have some for log making.

Thanks for the tip about leaves, we don't have many but if I can use them in the logs I will give it a try. We live in Cumbria and even in summer we have to keep watching the sky for rain so that we can bring the dratted things back inside. They are a brilliant idea if you live smewhere really warm and dry.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just bumping this thread back up as we're going to be even more rural when we move house again... regarding the paper logs, I have come up with a kind of solution - I have a plastic greenhouse and guess what's going to be in there over winter? :D Cheap and cheerful log store, shelves for drying paper logs and under cover for splitting logs - don't know why I never thought of it before now!
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Won't the flying log chips damage the plastic?
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    Won't the flying log chips damage the plastic?

Perhaps I'll rephrase, as it does sounds like a big, axe-wielding muscleman splitting tree trunks when, in actual fact, I meant chopping up the little bits and pieces for kindling with my tiny hand axe and a hack saw. :o:D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • joan_brennan
    Options
    i have just read this thread from start to finish so my comments may be a bit disjointed. firstly i also look at a website called selfsufficientish ( just google it) i dont know how to do the pointy thing. They are offering a deal on foraging it looks quite impressive as they will do the research in your area first. I think the costs are about £200 but that is not much if you get 20 people in your group. Also on the cheap side is i supply my friends guinea pigs and rabbits with hay. I pay £1 a bale for hay and i give then just a single slice possibly 10p to me and get stuff in return. the only negative feedback i have had is that there might be mites or nasties in the hay and a vet is a vet and the vets bill for a scratching rabbit may be offputting.
    finally road kill anyone not pick up dead pheasants or rabbits? just a thought..
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    i've just exchnged my landrover for a more fuel efficient make of 4x4
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing I can add to this is.Plan your shopping trips is like we once were nipping out to get a pint of milk was an hour round trip
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport