We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

1353637383941»

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When I give a bottle away I always say - whatever you do don't drink this stuff.:D
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    Nearest pub is 11 miles down the way and 8 miles up the way and there are a LOT of hills here and I'd be a dead body by the time I got there ! Got a bicycle but not fit enough to go anywhere on it, got ME :)
    Got a M/C as well. But the OH wont take me to the pub onnit !

Allthough I have about 3 pubs within about 4 miles I normally drink at one 11 miles away and depending on how much I have had to drink up to a 40 miles return journey (I wish that was a joke). What is an M/C?
  • SD-253
    choille wrote: »
    Someone told me that you should put your demi-johns on top of your compost heat, that way if the blow they don't make too much mess & it's good for the compost - plus it's warm so helps the fermentation.

That is the maddest idea I have ever heard and the first time I have heard it. The aim is to have a constant temperature (which I don't achieve) and clearly the house is the place where that is more likely. Also cider and I assume? Elderberry wine is an autumn production so therefore not a good time to have either outside. The problem with blowing for elderberry wine is the built up pressure which a demijohn cork would easily deal with (an airlock?). Also you could just put it in a box. It would be pretty disastrous if it blow in the house covering the wallpaper. Almost certainly new wallpaper.

PS I mix chain saw chipping with the apple bits left over from the cider production. I am certain this would make quick and excellent compost....pity about the rats eating the apple bit
  • SD-253
    As stated I have not done elderflower wine. If I have racked of to another demijohn (elderflower wine) and am using an airlock at some point in time the lock will show the end of fermentation, if I then bottle it there will be no explosions but will the wine have a fizz to it? And if not adding a spoon of sugar will put the fizz in bye restarting the fermentation (might need to leave some fermentation in the demijohn as it may not start to ferment again when bottled). Anything wrong with what I am suggesting?? I am not worried about the possibility of an explosion if there is only a little fermentation in the bottle the fizz on the other hand is more important.
    I to have never ever had an explosion with my capped cider kept in the house although it did not last long. This year I am bottling near the end of fermentation adding (most times) a spoon or two (experimenting) of sugar leaving it in the house for 2 days then taking out to the garage where, due to the cold, fermentation will stop. When I want to drink it I bring it in leave it for 2 days to get fermentation started again and the put in the fridge. This seems to guarantee a decent fizz to the cider. Although to be honest where I haven’t in the past it is never ever been flat. BUT as it will get warmer I have decided to leave a lot in demijohns so when the weather heats up they will not blow (fermentation starts again). I will also make sure I have a few in bottles to test the explosion view. Today found a tap which fits demijohns so may not even bottle demijohns. All demijohn cider has had a final racking. Anyone seen anything wrong with the any of the latter? As this is this years experiments. JB
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    If you are fermenting in the bottle, use a "champagne" type bottle and wire on the special cork or plastic substitute.

If you want to get really professional you could ferment the bottles upside down, twiddling them each day and then freeze the neck to expel a slug of ice with the settlement in it. The really low temperature tends to suppress the bubbles meaning there are enough left after you have re-corked the bottle.

I've had a few bottles of ordinary wine get too "pettillant", usually the cork blows out, but a couple have burst - the contents just ran away through the cracks in the floor boards in the cupboard under the stairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure