We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Ampersand,

The above relates to 'Cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 (based on fuel type and CO2 emissions)' as per the Government website here

You'll also find some good advice / recommendations at www.whatgreencar.com

If/when we invest in a better car it will be with one that costs maximum £35 per year road tax but it still needs a big enough boot to fit in groceries, logs and/or whatever else. Something like the Ford Fiesta (Diesel) where I could fold down the back seats to make loads of space for collecting free wood etc. I also know I can happily fit a couple of bales of hay and some feed bags into the back of a Fiesta and still get good mileage. :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Newspapers are best because they burn well and also will break down into a pulp easily. I found that magazines tend not to burn well and haven't tried envelopes, yet!

I thought magazines might not be so good, they're rubbish for starting fires so I guess it follows on. I'm just waiting for my log maker to arrive and have plans to use the stuff from my shredder (which is a lot) as well, after allotting some for the compost heap first :-)
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    I was told that they can cause rust in our multi fuel stove. Also not good for the environment either. They do burn well though.

You always get some moisture on lighting, from the sticks and logs. Until the stove is hot enough to vaporise it up the chimney.

The "jugs" are polyethylene.
    It is the second one in the methane ethane butane propane .....family of natural gasses.
    The "hot" mains natural gas is mostly methane. 4 hydrogen and one carbon atom burning (oxidising) to carbon dioxide and water. Polyethylene has more carbon and less hydrogen as it is the carbon that forms the chains to make a plastic.

On the pollution front you may be thinking of PVC - his contains chlorine that some would call the "devils element" as, when burnt it can produce dioxins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride#Health_and_safety
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to sound daft, but is it ok to burn the plastic milk containers then?
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot see how they would be any more dangerous than lighting a candle on a kid's birthday cake.;)

You would not want to run the fire on them but as fire lighters, they should be purer than the ones sold in the hardware shops.
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    pheasant190109.jpg

We have several regular visitations from local wildlife, game and creatures of the night. Here's one I photographed this morning. What I'm wondering is, if this bird had been shot and fell into my garden, I could claim it as my own (not that I'd want to, but I could if I so wished), but when they simply walk/fly in, where does the law stand on catching them and keeping them safe from the shooters (or keeping them for eggs/meat if one so desired)? :rotfl: Why do I need a gun license and a day's hunting to bring one down when a handful of grain works just as well?

• muddy_fox
    Options
    Beating is a good way to earn some extra cash, you can get paid £10-30, maybe the chance of some cheap game and the possibility of a beater's shoot day at the end of the season:

https://www.nobs.org.uk

For free entry to agricultural shows try volunteering with some of the rural organisations such as the Countryside Alliance, Union of Country Sports Workers etc. Volunteers supplement their paid staff and are always welcome extras. Plus you get free entry to all manner of events. As you work your way up you can save a fortune on tickets to major horse trials and the like.
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Just another little gem I've learned - if the rain is light but the winds are high, the washing still dries when you hang it outside - just make sure it's pegged up really securely. :eek: Even if it's still a little bit damp when brought back indoors, it takes very little time to dry out completely. Also, there's no need for the added expense of fabric softener as the constant battering by the wind ensures fluffy, soft towels. :D

Windfallen twigs and branches at this time of year provide a constant supply of free kindling sticks if you have a log burner, range or open fire. The wind blows them dry quite quickly too.

• DdraigGoch
    Options
    also, if the weather is blowy and cold it predisposes one to stay indoors, thus saving petrol and budget from being blown on going to the shops! :rotfl:
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    ar yes, but you can shop on-line..........................................................
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport