We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with the above post, I always plan shopping trips well in advance and bulk buy bargains.

Re the Landrover exchange, well done! I was amazed when I found out that there are new cars on the road that pay NO ROAD TAX because their emissions are so low. It was even more interesting that some are getting around 100 miles per gallon of petrol. We're going to start saving for one as soon as possible, but it'll need some boot space so I can fit in a bulk grocery shop :)

PS: I wonder if you can get snow chains to fit a Citreon C1? :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My catchphrases for rural living #1: "One can never have too many logs!"
    (:eek: It burned HOW MUCH???)

My top tip for this month: Keep a decent hand axe handy, you're going to need a LOT of kindling. :D

My second top tip for this month: Keep the rechargeable torch charged or else you won't be able to find the hand axe when you accidentally leave it outside at night. :rolleyes:

My third top tip for this month: summer weight double duvets cost £4 each (right now, from Te$co D!rect) - much cheaper than buying extra throws! :T

My suggestion for a seasonal gift: Dear Santa, please could you see your way clear to bringing me an electric saw for chopping logs and, possibly, some blocks to level the unit that no longer has legs. :rotfl:

PS: Word of caution: Don't put boiling water in your hot water bottle and forget to release the air - the rubber seal fails at around 3am!! :o
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Oh, the joys of hot water bottles, eh?!

I agree about the kindling....
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Hello
    Hello Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    taking up the thread of burning cow pats.I have just started drying my horse's droppings with the idea of burning on the wood burning stove.Not sure what the smell will be,hopefully none , I dont fancy the house smelling like a Tuareg campfire in the interests of economy.
    If successful I'll report back.Silence = failure!

Doesn't sound as if it went well then!
    Ciggie free 2am 21/09/06. Debt free 25/06/09.
    'It was such a lovely day I thought 'it's a pity to get up'' W. Somerset Maugham.
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Pine cones are the best and cheapest fire lighters here.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    The big plastic "jugs", that supermarkets use for selling milk, work pretty well with a few dry sticks.
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Just a quick question - can you only use newspapers? Will magazines do the trick? And 'normal' paper? What about envelopes/junk mail?

Sorry if I'm being thick :o
  • poohbear59
    Options
    MoJo wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick question - can you only use newspapers? Will magazines do the trick? And 'normal' paper? What about envelopes/junk mail?

Sorry if I'm being thick :o
    Newspapers are best because they burn well and also will break down into a pulp easily. I found that magazines tend not to burn well and haven't tried envelopes, yet!
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • poohbear59
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    The big plastic "jugs", that supermarkets use for selling milk, work pretty well with a few dry sticks.

I was told that they can cause rust in our multi fuel stove. Also not good for the environment either. They do burn well though.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,582 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I agree with the above post, I always plan shopping trips well in advance and bulk buy bargains.

Re the Landrover exchange, well done! I was amazed when I found out that there are new cars on the road that pay NO ROAD TAX because their emissions are so low. It was even more interesting that some are getting around 100 miles per gallon of petrol. We're going to start saving for one as soon as possible, but it'll need some boot space so I can fit in a bulk grocery shop :)

PS: I wonder if you can get snow chains to fit a Citreon C1? :rotfl:
    ######################
    What sort of vehicles are these please nykmedia?
    I can't imagine ever arriving at the point of having the money for one, but am certainly interested to read of anything that would do such excellent mileage/litre.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure