We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Options

Comments

• shefford53
    Options
    We moved to Ayrshire nearly 2 years ago. We checked everything out by spending weekends etc up here prior to buying. By moving into rural area property it was also agian a lot cheaper and one definatly got more for their money than in England. What we bought in Scotland our estate agent priced from plans and quoted nearly 5 times more if our new property was in Bedfordshire.
    Since moving up here our car runs on lpg @ 46p a litre, and we also get 30% grant off up to three items of renewable energy. So we now have 3 solar panels and wind turbine. The move was on medical grounds as my Bedfordshire house was no longer suitable. We enjoy a great local bus service running every half hour during the day and once an hour up to midnight approx. I can also take one of the buses each hour and it stops at main hospital on way into town. The hospital and Shopmobility also offer free transport but bookable in advance. Whilst living on a small estate of about 24 house our rear views of valleys and hills is spectacular. All familys around us look after and care for their properties along with a small childrens play area. We also have several public footpaths close by for those who are energetic or ones wanting to lose a few pounds, along with superb doggie walks. We also have a town within 10 miles with a superb beach with unspoilt surrounding areas, no noisey attractions etc. There are also 2 nearby airports and main line trains are accessable and cheap. These are only a few of the benifits of living rural without mentioning very little crime etc. Finally I have to say i could not live with the noise and problems of towns/cities ever again. YES I AM ENGLISH BUT WITH THE WAY ITS GOING NO LONGER WISH TO LIVE THERE!! THE SNP HAVE MY VOTE AND THE QUICKER WE CAN GET RID OF OVER PAID PENSION GRABBING CORRUPT GOVERMENT OFFICIALS IN PARLIMENT AND SPEND THE MONEY WHERE ITS NEEDED THE BETTER.
    ALSO ALL THOSE MILLIONS OF £'S SO CALLED EXPENSES BEING CLAIMED BY M.P's AND THEIR FAMILYS WITH THEIR EXTRA HOMES COULD GO TO NEEDY HOSPITALS AND BUILD PRISONS FOR THOSE REPEAT OFFENDERS INSTEAD OF LETTING THEM OUT AND AGAIN ONLY TO RE-OFFEND AND PREY ON GENUINE HARD WORKING PEOPLE. THE ONLY DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE SADDAM GOVERMENT AND THE BRITISH IS THAT SADDAM OPENLY ROBBED THE PEOPLE, THE BRITISH DO IT UNDERHANDED!!
    I AM RURAL NOW AND RURAL WILL STAY!!
    NO THANKS TO ALL THE TOWNS AND CITIES PROBLEMS!!
  • gettingricher
    Options
    Whilst burning logs seems like a good idea I would like to warn people of the problems associated with burning wet or damp logs as this could cause damage to solid fuel stoves - much much better to let the logs dry out
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Moneysaving in the country - don't miss your annual agricultural show. Always loads of moneyspinning ideas and local produce for sale and usually with a really good price for the day. Just back from ours and got my seriously strong, made locally, cheddar cheese for £5 per kilo!
    Happy with my haul.

On the log burning - most people stack them outdoors or in a shed for a year in advance and then have a smaller stack indoors near the fire to dry them out fully before burning. Worked for us :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Wigalike
    Options
    This year for the first time I made elderflower cordial for the price of a bag of sugar and a couple of lemons - compared with nearly £3 a bottle in the shops, it tasted better too.
    Sorry if anyone's already posted this, I'm new and still getting used to the site.
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    Well done, Wigalike! And welcome to MSE :)

• welshblackhorse
    Options
    taking up the thread of burning cow pats.I have just started drying my horse's droppings with the idea of burning on the wood burning stove.Not sure what the smell will be,hopefully none , I dont fancy the house smelling like a Tuareg campfire in the interests of economy.
    If successful I'll report back.Silence = failure!
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Has anyone tried making newspaper logs using a log maker? We have bought one recently but are having huge problems getting them to dry out.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    welshblackhorse plz keep us updated about burning the manure, I have 4 horses............'nuff said!
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making newspaper logs using a log maker? We have bought one recently but are having huge problems getting them to dry out.

I have a logmaker and have the exact same problem. We have nowhere warm and dry to dry them. what I really SHOULD do is make them during summer months and then dry them outside but they really do take ages. I thought I was doing something wrong, as mine didn't have any 'dummies guide' of instructions with it. One thing I did find was that if you have access to dry leaves in autumn, these mix in with the newspapers. My worst problem is lack of newspapers as we don't buy them! :rotfl: Would it be PC to claim them FROM the waste paper recycling point rather than deposit them there?

• skull
    skull Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No broadband here but did have Sky for a while about 5 years ago, then we realised we were watching only a few channels and programmes which later came out on dvd/video. So we saved several hundred pound a year by ditching satellite and with a little patience (not a good idea if you have teens wanting to be up to date with the latest tv gos) we bought the dvds at sale prices on/offline and then once watched resold them for close on what we paid for them or even more.
    Also less tv time gives more time to clean out the open log fire and use the ash on the veg plot or put in the hens dustbath (not coal ash or soot which is poisionous to hens/cats etc). Hybrid hens are usually good layers, our black rocks give up to 300 eggs a year each. Saves on alarm clocks as they wake us early in summer (you can burn around 80 calories per hour, each hour you get up earlier).
    Potatoes we stored in sacks (once thoroughly dried after harvesting) in the cupboard under the stairs on top of a cut down pallet that the freezer arrived on. Some we cooked up and froze as shepherd's pies, cheese & onion pies meat & potato pies, pasties etc for the winter.
    3 year waiting list for the nearest allotments - 7 miles away, so dug up our front lawn for veg plot (south facing) and use the back garden for the hens, though they are not free range as numerous dogs cats etc on housing estate, so in an enclosed run moved around the garden to keep them safe - also know where to look for the eggs if they didn't lay in their nest boxes before they went outside.

Ask local farmers if they have any fallen trees you can remove for them, or trees they need felling (providing you are competent to do so) to use for firewood. In case of power cut cook on open fire, carefully, and use suitable cookware (not all is). Try using a small, old, firebasket as a trivet inside a larger one to put pans on over the embers, boil water, cook stews, roast potatoes, onion, garlic, other veg and apples in foil in embers, also buy a proper (not decorative) toasting fork. Hmm can't wait for winter. Ok going now, byee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport