We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Options

Comments

• DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Aparrently squirrel is similar to rabbit, but not much on a squirrel. I'm due to have some delivered fairly soon, looking forward to helping out both my budget and the red squirrels at the same time!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I'll give the grey squirrels a miss, if that's alright. Guess that's why I could only ever be semi-self-sufficient because I couldn't kill my own food, although I don't mind rearing it, growing it or gathering it. On that note, I wonder how long it will be before we see the singles ads with titles like, 'Hunter seeks gatherer' and vice versa? :rotfl:
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • smitty2702
    smitty2702 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Im not sure I could eat squirrel, well maybe if someone cut it up so it didnt look like one (the only way I can eat rabbit) but Id love to pick some wild food, I love HFW so Ill have a hunt for his book. Thanks
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    "Hugh Fearlessly Eats it All" - Is reputed to have cooked and eaten afterbirth.
    Beat that for moneysaving.
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    mmm, mmmmmaybe not!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • GraciesGran
    GraciesGran Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Works in town too, have just made patchwork quilt in exchange for kitchen units, including cooker and fridge and bathroom suite (about 2 years old) that are now being installed in my youngest sons house - better quality than he could have afforded to buy. Took me about 35 hours, also got a garden shed thrown in. BARGAIN
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I know this may not help a lot of people out there, but we have a electircity pole in our garden. Recently the elec people had to come and chop down the trees as they were to close to the pole and wire. We asked them to leave the stuff where it was and we have cut it up ourselves and now have free firewood! Normally it would cost us about £50 a tree to have it cut down.

I hope the electric people are paying you decent ground rent for that pole?

If not, write and suggest they offer to bury the cable free of charge?

If agreed upon, then they will simply scrap the pole.....which you can offer to do for them?

Mind, creosoted pole really does stink when burnt......[you might also get to keep the masses of earthing cable normally associated with poles.....again, scap values being what they are, probably worth a year's mortgage??]
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    You won't get it if the pole is supplying you with electricity?!
    [There was a redundant pole left on some waste land near me, while I was still thinking of a way to jack it out of the ground, my neighbour with a chain-saw got there first - mind you he left behind the top with the brackets and insulators on it. The brackets came in really useful, thick galvanising on chunky metal, used them to strap my grandmother's garage gate posts to the brickwork.]
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    Yes, you will. My poles bring in me very little, but every bit helps. The wiring is usually taken away and the pole left if they are replacing it and you ask for it - saves them the fag of schlepping it. Though they do smell dreadful [not surprising really!] they make excellent firelighters! DON'T USE THEM AS BURNING WOOD! Seriously, your chimney could go up with it!

If you're near a town, scything your lawn, letting it wilt and then dry - pack into carrier bags and sell as Hamster Bedding/Rabbit Food? LOL Really did see someone doing that though at a car boot sale. They were selling it hand over fist, £1 a bag!
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just giving this thread a little bump whilst searching for a few more hints and tips. For instance...

1. Does anyone burn dried cow pats, or has Health & Safety put a stop to that now? :rotfl:
    2. Is it legal to gather pine cones from the forest?
    3. Did we ever find out if burning potato peelings really does help clean a chimney?
    4. Does anyone use fresh goat's milk or unpasteurised cow's milk for making yoghurt?
    5. Is anyone on here completely (or as close as is possible) self-sufficient?
    6. How does everyone store their surplus potatoes from the garden to make them last all year?
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family