We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Comments

• V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    We do have dogs and chickens and get our bakers dog food for just under 20 pounds and our layers pellets and mixed corn are both 5.99 for 20kg from our local pet foods cash and carry in Marks Tey in Colchester. We only got our chickens three weeks ago, but the prices don't appear to have gone up here yet. SG
    It will ;)

Just to give you an idea of how fast it has gone up, when I first started keeping chickens in Spring 04, it was about £5.40/20kg. It then gradually crept up to £6.50 or so, and then shot up to £7.53/20kg. And I've gone down a brand (from Smallholder Range to Farmgate . . . which I am getting better results with) in that time.
  • sunset_gold
    sunset_gold Posts: 230 Forumite
    The prices of chicken feed do seem to have gone up a lot in a short space of time, what's driving the increases? More people getting hens like us or something else? SG
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the post, I have often wondered what horse carrots were and whether we could eat them too, I love juicing carrots with ginger and celery so could easily get through a sackful. Is there anything else like this that humans can eat that is sold for animals does anyone know? SG

Sunflower kernals sold in petfood shops are bakery grade and therefore suitable for humans. My local petfood shop was selling them for £1 a 1lb but we are by no means rural and they could well be cheaper elsewhere.
  • I was wondering the same about animal foods for humans. Could we eat the sort of oats or barley that horses do, for example?

• vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seakay wrote: »
    Sunflower kernals sold in petfood shops are bakery grade and therefore suitable for humans. My local petfood shop was selling them for £1 a 1lb but we are by no means rural and they could well be cheaper elsewhere.

They may well say bakery grade, but most packs I have seen also state NOT for human consumption !
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I ran a wholesale & retail pet supply company and can assure you that many of the grains bought in for pets and animals are not the same quality as those bought by food shops for humans. It is priced accordingly and if you imagine a huge pile of grain/peanuts/seeds, top price relates to top of the pile, the lower down the stack, the lower the price, so to speak. That's why kernels and split peanuts in pet shops can be sold cheaper - they have been burst/crushed from the shells rather than split by machine or hand and possibly swept up rather than lifted. I'm not saying that this is a hard and fast rule, I'm just pointing out that this is how prices worked when we were wholesaling and that selling for human consumption was illegal as no insurance policy for a pet shop would cover human consumption in the event of poisoning. And lets not forget the vermin that can have access to mills and grain stores.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • sunset_gold
    sunset_gold Posts: 230 Forumite
    Thank you nykmedia for giving us the low down on pet food vs human consumption, I for one needed it pointed out that clearly, it's easy to get carried away on a notion. I guess it might be similar with horse carrots, but as they are washed, scraped or peeled it probably is still ok for us to eat those but not dried foods? I have wondered about monkey nuts thou? Any inside info on those? SG
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    It will ;)

Just to give you an idea of how fast it has gone up, when I first started keeping chickens in Spring 04, it was about £5.40/20kg. It then gradually crept up to £6.50 or so, and then shot up to £7.53/20kg. And I've gone down a brand (from Smallholder Range to Farmgate . . . which I am getting better results with) in that time.
    I have been keeping hens for 5 years now and the cost of feed hasn't increased by more than 50p in that time. I am now paying £6 for a 25kg bag. The bags have increased in size from 20-25kg recently.

Like many who have posted already we have our own form of bartering here. We swap jams, chutneys, excess fruit and vegetables from our gardens. We give time in exchange for other services, eg cat feeding, for loan of chimney sweeping equipment. etc.

We moved from semi rural to 'back of beyond' rural 15 years ago and have never been happier. We bulk buy as much as possible and share costs with neighbours to bring costs down. We don't have a supermarket delivery here so any trip to a town is carefully planned to include as many things as possible to cut down on unecessary spending on petrol.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have wondered about monkey nuts thou? Any inside info on those? SG

Monkey nuts are sold in the trade as 'groundnuts' but many still just call them peanuts. The cheapest are sold as 'splits' and you don't want to eat them. In my opinion, I'd think it was far safer to stick to those products that are available for sale through normal suppliers and not pet shops. It just isn't worth the risk.

PS: I know people who won't even feed their parrots pet shop bought peanuts/monkey nuts/groundnuts so that may say something.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • I quess its all about " Can you be bothered- and more importantly do you have a chimney?" Living reasonably near a beach naturally has its advantages..firstly our children and now our grandchildren love/d to pick-up the endless free driftwood ( On a reasonable day of course!) and get the benefit of "The two warms!!!" One whilst collecting. the second whilst burning.....and on a woodburner in the middle of winter, its something else. Gives a much wider smile on current Gas prices honest!....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure