We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Comments

• Why stop at just saving on oil. In our oil syndicate we also group together and save on boiler servicing. We can save about £35 each service. Make sure the service person has all the relevent details, i.e. boiler make, model number etc. Also saves them money and reduces fuel costs visiting each household. Bob
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    Brilliant tips here, we're aiming for a move back to rurual life. Both grew up in villages so we do have some idea of what we're letting ourselves in for. One thing made me laugh though in the OP, the part about 'having' to pay for additional channels. We live in city centre at the moment and don't even have a TV licence to save money!
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• Mister_D_2
    Mister_D_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    BMcQueen wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone know what the regulations are re. selling free range eggs ? I have often though about keeping a few hens & selling the eggs, but was told by friends that I couldn't unless I had food hygiene certificates, insurance, etc. in case someone gets salmonella, etc. ?

Thanks

Barry
    :confused::confused:

Currently the law states you can sell as many as you like from your gate/house or at farmers market.
    You cannot supply someone to sell to a third party though without a licence. IE you cannot sell to your local butcher to re-sell.

If you keep over 50 chooks you must get defra regged as well. I make and sell poultry housing and this year has been my busiest ever, lots of people realising that even in the smallest garden you can keep hens. Most organic stuff I can't tell the difference but once you have tasted a FRESH free range egg you will be amazed. Free range eggs in your supermarket can be up to 30 days old before hitting the shelf!
    Get a grinder/mincer and put all your food waste through it for the chooks, fresh eggs for food waste sounds good to me:)
  • Mister_D_2
    Mister_D_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Also if you have a bit of room why not grow your own table birds?
    Fertile hubbard eggs can be had for as little as 35p each and from hatch to oven can be 10 weeks. These can be raised on peelings/kitchen waste and they will also graze for a third of there diet.
    A free range chicken will cost you at least £7 you can grow your own for a LOT less, maybe grow a few extra for swapsies, free range chicken is in huge demand now.
  • alis0n1976
    alis0n1976 Posts: 17 Forumite
    A few years ago my partner decided to change his heating from a log burner to oil heating.Now the price of oil is that much he is going back to a log burner to heat the water and radiators as he has plenty of trees on his land so wont cost him anything.The goverment have given him half the money for this new log burner,something to do with eco fuel i think? Any way my point being it might be worth enquiring about if any one was thinking of doing this
  • If you do buy from the feed merchants ask for the working dog or cat food, because the animals that eat this are 'working' and not pets you dont pay any VAT these are really cheap compared to the brand names, our dogs and cats love them!
    I don't have a dog, but I have noticed that the local feed merchants sell dog & cat food. I would imagine that this is a lot cheaper than city pet shops, but they all come in 20kg bags from the look of things. I do, however, buy my chicken food there (which has gone up from £6.50/20kg to £7.53/20kg in the space of 6 weeks!!!) which is a lot cheaper than the pet shop in town.

Sawmills will often sell dust extracted wood shavings by the shrink-wrapped bale. These are really cheap (~£6 each) and they last me over a year with my 2 chickens in a coop which is ~1m square. I've seen the pet shop get exactly the same stuff delivered, and they then divide it up and sell it on for about 20x that price!!!
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    BMcQueen wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone know what the regulations are re. selling free range eggs ? I have often though about keeping a few hens & selling the eggs, but was told by friends that I couldn't unless I had food hygiene certificates, insurance, etc. in case someone gets salmonella, etc.
    :confused::confused:

What Mister_D said - I remember the same thing. However, bear in mind that you will probably lose money. At this time of year, we are getting 2 eggs a day from 2 hens (and we can barely keep up, being a 2 person family :D ) which is a massive saving on shop bought eggs. However, from October to February (although it was Jan this year, after we changed from "Smallholder" feed to Farmgate - cheaper and better - thicker egg shells which was a problem, and more eggs :D ) we can expect to get no eggs.

You will also need to factor in the costs of a coop and other start up costs, which will run into the hundreds, and unexpected costs such as vets fees - I have spent 7.5 times as much as the original purchase price of one hen on vets fees for said hen!

All in all, fine if you really have a passion for keeping chickens, just don't expect to turn a profit . . . or break even for that matter.

www.allaboutchickens.tk (shh . . . it's my website on keeping chickens)

Mister_D wrote: »
    Also if you have a bit of room why not grow your own table birds?
    Fertile hubbard eggs can be had for as little as 35p each and from hatch to oven can be 10 weeks. These can be raised on peelings/kitchen waste and they will also graze for a third of there diet.
    A free range chicken will cost you at least £7 you can grow your own for a LOT less, maybe grow a few extra for swapsies, free range chicken is in huge demand now.

I don't raise table birds (being a vegetarian) but I have read that the plucking, evisceration & packing side of things is more trouble than it's worth if you are not doing it just for the family.
  • We buy sacks of carrots from our local feed merchants or shop, they are mis shapes that the supermarkets dont take, its usually £1 for a sackful. They are sold for horses but are fine for us to eat as its just the shapes that make the rejects. We bulk buy wines/spirits from supermarket sites, well cheap prices and if you get together with friends you can split the £5 delivery fee.
    Finally get to know your local gamekeeper, they are usually looking for help and will give you game in return, or you can just buy cheap game from them (in season)
  • the_jogger
    the_jogger Posts: 11 Forumite
    Can I also recommend YOBCO www.yobco.co.uk They are cheaper than BoilerJuice. The web site does not show a price, but the last couple of times they have been cheaper.
    Taichi_Bob wrote: »
    Why stop at just saving on oil. In our oil syndicate we also group together and save on boiler servicing. We can save about £35 each service. Make sure the service person has all the relevent details, i.e. boiler make, model number etc. Also saves them money and reduces fuel costs visiting each household. Bob
  • Hi all

moved both north and out into the country last year.

Best thing we ever did, the local school is great, years 4 and 5 are combined and still only have 17 kids :)

pity we have no gas supply but cooking on propane has been surprisingly cost effective, 2x 47kg tanks lasted over a year!

but the cost of oil is getting really painfull, we were charged 47.95 pence per liter and add the vat on to that for 2000l it comes to £1006.95

Have been looking at converting the oil boiler to burn waste oil or getting a wood burning boiler to suppliment the oil one

does anyone have any ideas or tips for rural scotland?

thanks

Andy
    if at first you don't succeed then sky diving is not for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure