We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great Rural MoneySaving Hunt

Comments

• cornishlad wrote: »
    If you do buy from the feed merchants ask for the working dog or cat food, because the animals that eat this are 'working' and not pets you dont pay any VAT these are really cheap compared to the brand names, our dogs and cats love them!

Here`s my first go @ this........ so...I`ve responded to this as I was very amused @ the thought of "working cats", please dont take offence I have 5 cats & I expect they think they work. though thinking about it I often pick up road kill rabbits /hares & pheasants, to feed to the dog and cats. I dont bother to cook either, as that would waste money! I do however freeze then defrost , as this kills the things that turn into parasitic worms. I believe its a well known exta for hens, to grow jerusalem artichokes and sunflowers ,both are easily grown, hens like the seeds from sunflowers. you get flowers, they their dinner. I`ve never known tho what part of an artichoke they like ,maybe just slugs from tubers!!
  • Bikes make sense when you live in the countryside. After the initial purchase, they are free transport, non-polluting, good exercise and you don't take your life in your hands every time you go onto the road!
  • sunset_gold
    sunset_gold Posts: 230 Forumite
    I don't have a dog, but I have noticed that the local feed merchants sell dog & cat food. I would imagine that this is a lot cheaper than city pet shops, but they all come in 20kg bags from the look of things. I do, however, buy my chicken food there (which has gone up from £6.50/20kg to £7.53/20kg in the space of 6 weeks!!!) which is a lot cheaper than the pet shop in town.

Sawmills will often sell dust extracted wood shavings by the shrink-wrapped bale. These are really cheap (~£6 each) and they last me over a year with my 2 chickens in a coop which is ~1m square. I've seen the pet shop get exactly the same stuff delivered, and they then divide it up and sell it on for about 20x that price!!!

We do have dogs and chickens and get our bakers dog food for just under 20 pounds and our layers pellets and mixed corn are both 5.99 for 20kg from our local pet foods cash and carry in Marks Tey in Colchester. We only got our chickens three weeks ago, but the prices don't appear to have gone up here yet. SG
  • sunset_gold
    sunset_gold Posts: 230 Forumite
    cubleywood wrote: »
    We buy sacks of carrots from our local feed merchants or shop, they are mis shapes that the supermarkets dont take, its usually £1 for a sackful. They are sold for horses but are fine for us to eat as its just the shapes that make the rejects. We bulk buy wines/spirits from supermarket sites, well cheap prices and if you get together with friends you can split the £5 delivery fee.
    Finally get to know your local gamekeeper, they are usually looking for help and will give you game in return, or you can just buy cheap game from them (in season)

Thanks for the post, I have often wondered what horse carrots were and whether we could eat them too, I love juicing carrots with ginger and celery so could easily get through a sackful. Is there anything else like this that humans can eat that is sold for animals does anyone know? SG
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Bikes make sense when you live in the countryside. After the initial purchase, they are free transport, non-polluting, good exercise and you don't take your life in your hands every time you go onto the road!

Sadly, not around these parts.....for , unless well off the ''beaten track'', most of the roads in this county are home to drivers who have an overdose of ''motorway syndrome''.....getting ploughed into by an unthinking/uncaring drive is a very real threat.

Too many rural communities are in fact, those motley collections of houses one flashes past when on one's way from connurbation A to likewise B...major roads seem to spell the death knell for many rural villages.......

I have recieved tacit praise from new neighbours for having the ''cojones' to park my large old swedish [nee belgian] estate car outside my roadside front door...which causes all passing traffic to have to slow for a ''give way'' situation....fear of the odd dink means other villagers prefer to hide their motors away up laybyes, etc.....which in turn leads to faster through-traffic speeds, etc......

maybe I should hide a webcam outside the bedroom window, just in case????:A
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • carebabe
    carebabe Posts: 225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Bikes make sense when you live in the countryside. After the initial purchase, they are free transport, non-polluting, good exercise and you don't take your life in your hands every time you go onto the road!

sadly not always true regards safety of bikes and rural roads. last time i cycled on a quiet country road i had to launch myself into the ditch to avoid being struck by a car coming round a bend at high speed on the wrong side of the road.
    Teamwork means.......never having to take all the blame yourself ;)
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    alastairq wrote: »
    Sadly, not around these parts.....for , unless well off the ''beaten track'', most of the roads in this county are home to drivers who have an overdose of ''motorway syndrome''.....getting ploughed into by an unthinking/uncaring drive is a very real threat......

:T Well said! Our local area is a complete and utter nightmare! Between teenagers who see any straight bit of road as a race track and the high volume of motorbikes that visit the area, there have already been several deaths. Our nearest 'main' road is the A75 - I'm sure many would have seen the news footage of the recent court case involving teenagers racing and the deaths of those involved in the subsequent crash.

Sadly, a car is a relatively cheap piece of equipment for a youngster to own in these rural communities. It doesn't matter that insurance can cost £2000 per year for first time drivers, these kids have absolutely nothing else on which to spend their cash. With many of them earning around £200 per week, the cost of a car is minimal when living at home with parents and having no other financial responsibilities. On the plus side, there are very few criminals risk living here because everybody knows who, where, when and they usually get caught. (Not always by the police, I suspect.) I guess that's why it can be cheaper to insure property and cars, less chance of theft.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Bikes make sense when you live in the countryside. After the initial purchase, they are free transport, non-polluting, good exercise and you don't take your life in your hands every time you go onto the road!

Err no..... they make sense in london where the average speed trafic can move at is
    10 to 15 mph
    Not on rural roads where the average speed is whatever the idiot driving thinks he can get away with
    if at first you don't succeed then sky diving is not for you.
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    alastairq wrote: »
    <snip>
    I have recieved tacit praise from new neighbours for having the ''cojones' to park my large old swedish [nee belgian] estate car outside my roadside front door...which causes all passing traffic to have to slow for a ''give way'' situation....fear of the odd dink means other villagers prefer to hide their motors away up laybyes, etc.....which in turn leads to faster through-traffic speeds, etc......

My dad always advised me not to 'half park' on the road as it encourages people to try and squeeze past both in cars and on foot. This is still true in a village where minor traffic jams do occur :)
  • Many of us that live in the countryside do not have access to natural gas therefore more homes are heated using oil and delivered gas. There are comparison sites for these, I use two oil ones: boilerjuice.co.uk and oilfuel.co.uk. Others probably know of more/better and for gas. Log suppliers would be good too.
    Clarendon:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport