🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ripped off in local Restaurant

Options

Comments

• loulou2702
    loulou2702 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which La Rioja is it ? There is a newly opened one in West Wickham but I had a very good experience there with 3 friends and they have since gone back and had a lovely meal.
    Please clarify - just so we dont avoid EVERY restaurant called La Rioja!
  • ben_and_elly
    Options
    mymatebob wrote: »
    Local paper? Has the place been reviewed in the press?

Local websites which review restaurants.

Watch you don't say anything libellous
    Thanks - good idea. Have left a thread in our local paper.
  • ben_and_elly
    Options
    loulou2702 wrote: »
    Which La Rioja is it ? There is a newly opened one in West Wickham but I had a very good experience there with 3 friends and they have since gone back and had a lovely meal.
    Please clarify - just so we dont avoid EVERY restaurant called La Rioja!
    Hi. Yes, it was the newly opened one in West Wickham called La Rioja. I do agree that the meal was nice, it was the unfortunate business with the bill at the end of the meal. I have since heard from a couple of others that they had quite high bills at the end of their meals, but did not check the bill. I would just say that if/when you do go back, just check the bill very carefully before you part with your cash!
  • ben_and_elly
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    tab mistakes happen espesh if its table 02 and table 20 being used at the same time.

or sumtimes u log onto the till and see a tab sitting there that was previously 02 when ur serving 20 and u see one item there thats the same so just add to that tab without realising ur adding it to the wrong tab.

easy mistake. nothing to scream to the TC's about.
    Thanks. Yes, I do agree that these mistakes can happen quite easily, but when they had four different table numbers - that's what made us think it may not have been a genuine error.
  • ben_and_elly
    Options
    It's not THIS ONE is it?

South Manchester area?
    NO NO NO NO NO. Please don't panic. It is in the Kent area! I always like to give a fair go, so don;t tar them all with the same brush! You may relax.
  • starjumper
    starjumper Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    This happens everywhere if you go in a large group, I'm always finding places trying to rip me off.

Spread the word, it's the only way. A crappy tapas bar near us has just shut down due to a terrible reputation!
    :staradmin
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    tab mistakes happen espesh if its table 02 and table 20 being used at the same time.

or sumtimes u log onto the till and see a tab sitting there that was previously 02 when ur serving 20 and u see one item there thats the same so just add to that tab without realising ur adding it to the wrong tab.

easy mistake. nothing to scream to the TC's about.

In that case, the staff should have realised the error and refunded without fuss.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • chuckles1066
    chuckles1066 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    starjumper wrote: »
    This happens everywhere if you go in a large group,

Yeah, true; most large groups decide in advance to split the bill because it's easier, so if it's £180 and there are 12 of you then everyone coughs up £15 and it's a done deal.

Very easy for the restaurant to add another £25 on a bill of that size as it only costs another £2 per person; hardly noticeable, particularly if the wine has been flowing :rolleyes:
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, true; most large groups decide in advance to split the bill because it's easier, so if it's £180 and there are 12 of you then everyone coughs up £15 and it's a done deal.

Very easy for the restaurant to add another £25 on a bill of that size as it only costs another £2 per person; hardly noticeable, particularly if the wine has been flowing :rolleyes:

yes, particually if everyone has been drinking!!:beer: :beer: customers are less likley to notice. another trick is ordering drinks that never turn up another waiter(ess) comes round and writes it down again and brings it - one drink 2 order slips goes on the bill twice:mad:
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - good idea. Have left a thread in our local paper.

You've already done something far more effective by posting it on here!

Type "La Rioja West Wickham" into Google..... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport