🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ripped off in local Restaurant

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why would anyone book a restaurant after checking it out and reading all the bad reviews. If you are going to do that why bother even checking it out?
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • joroma
    Options
    Purely because we fancied Tapas! We live locally and when we've driven past it looked busy. So, as I said, there were reviews both bad (as per this forum) and good (as per other sites) so we decided to give it a try.

I will admit that I double checked the bill before paying though based on what was said before.

There are businesses that change and we were lucky on this occasion that the experience was positivie. That is not to say it won't be the next.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 January 2010 at 9:31PM
    Options
    All they have to do is stop overcharging big groups with extra bottles of wine

They could have called me in and I'd have given them my advice for £50
  • TheSaint_2
    TheSaint_2 Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Joroma - Were you in a large group? If not, based on the experiences of everyone else you would probably be fine.

Try going again, and take 10 friends with you - then post again :P
  • joroma
    Options
    Hi TS,

We went as a couple although there was a largish group of about eight in there. Most of the other tables were of twos and fours but it was packed and there were at least two sittings.

I've been to a few places where larger groups don't fare as well as smaller ones so you are perhaps right. I've been up to a few places up in London where you get charged for bread and serving tap water!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You never know, they may have actually learnt their lesson.
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few people have suggested contacting the local papers - this usually does not bear fruit as restaurants tend to advertise fairly heavily in local newspapers, and the newspapers do not want to lose valuable advertisers.

This problem with overcharging is just typical of "rip-off" Britain. Whenever we go out in reasonable sized groups, we always make a clear note of how many beers/wines we are ordering. We tell the waiters that its so we can split the bill correctly so not to offend them, but they then know full well they cannot pull a fast one.

I'm in the Wickham area on business next week. Can anyone recommend a decent tapas bar?
  • pam1970
    Options
    We went here as a large group last week and after reading reviews,thouroughly checked the bill-it was fine. Food was Amazing but service wasnt so(couple of them couldnt understand us-and was very slow) but would definitly go back!
    When it comes to overcharging I think almost all places do that now,which is a real shame. Even The Blue elephant which is a very well known Thai in London-on all 3 occassions that I had been for dinner,we were charged for either cigars or drinks that we didnt have. Now we go there for brunch on Sundays only which is well worth it.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How thick are these newbies who keep coming on here to make one post and praise this restaurant?!

Nice work in the fact that this has now been bumped for lots more people to read how shockingly bad the place is :D
    Nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family