TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    What WE already knew, but if it weren't for the internet I'd have missed it (because I'm LLF and therefore don't watch any news, and I also don't read newspapers and rarely listen to the news on the radio either - I love the 'little bubble' one person on another forum accused me of living in), so I can readily accept that a reasonable percentage of these older people won't have seen/heard - and even more won't have fully taken it on board. Surely it's better to be sure they've all got the information so they don't assume they're still covered by a free licence and end up with a huge fine they've even less chance of being able to afford??

I await the first oap landed with a "huge fine" because they "didnt know"
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    I will have to warn the kids against clicking on any live feeds on youtube then. How would tvl find out if they did accidentally watch something, or am I just overthinking this in a bid to stay on the right side of the law? :sad:
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I await the first oap landed with a "huge fine" because they "didnt know"

I can't imagine that they will be prosecuting 80 year olds.
  • Britannia12345
    Options
    Aah, just reread your post Cornucopia - so they have no way of detecting if live tv had been watched, it's based on an honesty system.
    I doubt the kids watch anything live anyway, they haven't watched our freesat box in years, but I'll warn them just in case.
  • Cornucopia
    edited 29 June 2019 at 8:43AM
    Options
    I will have to warn the kids against clicking on any live feeds on youtube then. How would tvl find out if they did accidentally watch something, or am I just overthinking this in a bid to stay on the right side of the law? :sad:

I think you are rather over-thinking it. There is no electronic scrutiny - it is simply not possible within the law.

If someone else selected a live feed then it would be that person who committed an offence, not you. There is no vicarious responsibility in this offence (meaning that you are not responsible for other people's actions). I would have thought that the chances of kids willingly selecting Sky News would be quite slim. Other "live" content on YouTube that is not a concurrent service to a broadcast TV channel does not require a TV Licence.

The reality is that anyone with an Internet connection is one click away from live streaming TV. That is the practical context we are dealing with, here. All you need to do is (a) not watch them, (b) if you ever speak with TVL call centre be clear that you know you must not watch them, and (c) if TVL ever call at your door, do not speak with them.

After a few weeks, all of this should be second nature, and you can get on with the rest of your life without worrying about it.

If (c) still worries you, then as I said, there are legal strategies for putting them at significant disadvantage - so much so that they are likely never to bother you again (which is what has happened to me).
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No one believes all that "I never watch live tv" stuff
  • Cornucopia
    edited 29 June 2019 at 9:11AM
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    No one believes all that "I never watch live tv" stuff

In what way?

You may be that addicted to TV broadcasts that you cannot even bring yourself to wait for a couple of hours to see them. However, I'm quite happy to watch content as and when I choose, and not follow the whims of schedulers. So are a lot of other people. It's a classic case of not judging everyone by the same standards (and perhaps more importantly, the same lifestyle).

- Small household
    - Limited TV watching (a few hours of catch-up per week)
    - Access to streaming services (maybe more than one)
    - Other things to do than watch hours and hours of TV
    - Interested in subject areas not well catered for by the main TV channels

All of that lends itself to giving up the TV Licence.

Furthermore, in my discussions with BBC-TV Licensing it is them that often find themselves on the wrong side of the law, not me. So much so that the BBC has banned TVL from contacting me (for around 3 years, now). That really doesn't seem like the action of an organisation that is confident about their legal position.
  • GypsyRose
    GypsyRose Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I don’t watch Live tv. I’m too busy to be brainwashed by the rubbish they spout especially news programmes. I’m happy in my ignorance of the calamities of the world. I’m on the road most of the year and I don’t have tv in my van either.
  • GypsyRose
    GypsyRose Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Whoever sold you the pills.
    Really helpful reply Thanks for making the effort.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How does this apply to the fact that I will no longer be watching live TV?

Mail them one of these. :D
    Male-TV-Aerial-Connector-RF-Coax-Cable-Plug-Socket-Coaxial-Metal.jpg_q50.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback