MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Options

Comments

• waygood
    waygood Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Yes give him a tenner! But make sure he realises that as this is the FIRST time this has happened and they will not help a second time.

We all learn from our mistakes and our parents are there to help us through the learning process.
  • SilverLiz
    SilverLiz Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    I think Mum is right. Eleven is just about right for starting to learn about money and its safety before he reaches his teen years.
    Start paying his debts now and you will never stop!!
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    er.. NO!

Hello...

It's probably the first time I am not undecided about the 'MORAL DILEMMA' question
  • mistdemon
    mistdemon Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Shytalker wrote: »
    Yes, they should give him the tenner.

The poor little bean has already suffered some anguish and humiliation and will have learnt something from that. .

I think that's a bit naive - the only thing he will learn that way is that it doesn't matter how careless he is because bank of mum&dad will come to the rescue.

My step-son had a habit of losing mobile phones(4 in a year including one through the washing machine because he forgot to take it out of his trousers) and his mum kept replacing them - until one day we refused and said he would have to pay for it out of his pocket money..needless to say he hasn't lost one since!

Life is hard - the sooner you learn that the better - if you're old enough to have £10 or a mobile or any other valuables then you're old enough to learn how to look after them and to face the consequences if you don't...
    if i had known then what i know now
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    englishmac wrote: »
    OMG, I didn't know people like you still existed. A sane voice in a mad world! Welcome to my world!! :T :A
    Oh, we do exist. We're just a bit of a minority. I would definately not reimburse. My role in life is to help my son learn what life's about and refunding him the cash is teaching him the worst kind of lesson. I really don't feel the least bit mean about it either. For an 11 year old to lose £10 is certainly not the end of the world and if he thinks it is, then he will definately not repeat his error! I'd like to think my son wouldn't have lost the money in any case as he would have had to earn it in the first place so would hopefully value it more than if it was just given to him.

And £25 for week's pocket money??? That is craziness. :eek: That's half this family's food budget for the week.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    waygood wrote: »
    Yes give him a tenner! But make sure he realises that as this is the FIRST time this has happened and they will not help a second time.

We all learn from our mistakes and our parents are there to help us through the learning process.

Here here. It would be a lesson for kid and parents that maybe he's not yet ready to have that sort of money on his own.
  • rebecca_smith_2
    Options
    How many jobs would a child need to do these days to earn a tenner? In my days it would've been hmmIroning - 1000 hankies or 200 other items (actually I think some other things were only 2p each and only sheets were 5p!)My pocket money was 50p for jobs (cleaning one room in the house each week and making tea once a week) and 5p for each birthday, so at age 11 I had the grand sum of 1.05 pocket money. Even with inflation I can't see how an 11 year old would need more than a fiver.A tenner indeed!I'll ditto what most people are saying. A fiver only, to be earned with extra jobs or to be advanced from next weeks spends.
  • flikkerty
    flikkerty Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    poor kid, give him the money. We all know that feeling of being gutted when you have either lost something or thought you lost it. The punishment is there already. This is based on him being a nice kid and him being all happy and relieved to have dosh back. If he is a scallywag then forget it, make him earn it back! ha ha i have double standards i've just realised!
  • steam_dan
    steam_dan Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    Don't reimburse. Don't make additional opportunities for him to earn it back.
    Sit him down and talk to him about the value of money and the need to look after it.
    Next time he gets his pocket money, take him shopping for a new wallet. Teach him to bargain hunt for the best deal, teach him to negotiate a better price with the shop keepers. Negotiation is an important transferable skill that he will find useful through out his life. Be careful though, if he gets too good at it he may negotiate you into an increase in his pocket money!!
    After buying the wallet, visit a few building societies/banks and pick up some leaflets on savings accounts. When you get back home, sit with him and help him look for the best savings account for his needs. Have him open the account with some or all of the money left over from the purchase of his wallet, then encourage him to save a regular amount each month from his pocket money.
  • michaeliholt
    Options
    I would not replace the missing tenner. The lad must learn to look after his money. I would set him some chores to earn another tenner. That way he will understand the value of the money. If he loses any more money I would stop payments for a month. :rotfl: lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure