MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Comments

• The only way his parents should give him the £10 back is to work for it eg cleaning the car, housework, gardening etc. When I was a teenager I had a Saturday job I didn't like it so I resigned. My dad gave me the money each week that I would have earned. So I had no need to look for another job and a big lesson to learn that money has to be earned by work, even if I didn't like the job, rather than be there as good as growing on trees
  • Mrs Evans says that Richie ought to earn the money back by doing jobs his parents ask him to do, and learn the value of money that way.

Mr Evans says that he would let Richie mourn his loss for two weeks before giving it back inside a wallet.

It's lovely that we always agree on everything!
    Team Edward :smileyhea
  • Dotmatic
    Dotmatic Posts: 71 Forumite
    I'd be inclined to say not to hand over the money but to encourage the child to do extra jobs and earn back the money over a number of weeks.
  • Definitely not. He needs to learn an important lesson about looking after his own money and taking responsibility. If they always bail him out he'll never learn...
  • glads69
    glads69 Posts: 8 Forumite
    What does Richie learn from losing the £10 and Howard replacing it? Ritchie does not need to be careful with other money in future because someone should/will reimburse him if it happens again!

What does Ritchie learn if they follow Marion's approach? Losing pocket money hurts whether lost or stolen. If Ritchie cares about having pocket money he should be more careful with it in future (once bitten, twice shy).

As long as Marion and Howard sympathise with and show Ritchie they understand his loss so the decision does not appear cold and heartless, then definitely go with Marion's view. A lesson learned off the back of a £10 loss is far better and less painful than a much greater loss later on in Ritchie's life because he was not careful.
  • Nope - he's not 5... He needs to learn the value of money - end of.
    Working in Marketing for one of the big four supermarkets.
  • macaroni
    macaroni Posts: 448 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    chivas wrote: »
    IMO, the poor thing is only a poor thing as long as he as lost the money - as soon as it is replaced he becomes a spoilt brat :rolleyes:
    I know that sounds harsh, but seriously, think about the future of the child - not about keeping him happy and looking good in his eyes right now. Giving more money turns a good life lesson into an incredibly bad one.

(Yes it's a shame - but if you lost your wallet would you go to your employee for reimbursement?? Once the money was given it was the responsibility of the keeper - and if they weren't responsible enough to look after it, then they shouldn't be given any more...)

I totally agree!!
    :hello:
  • a bit of tough love is required here. It would not have happened in isolation, no doubt the parent should have been discussing personal responsibility for some time now. So tough love is now required to embed the lesson firmly in his mind. This means NO giving him the money, and NO additional opportunity to earn it back for himself.. He goes without, loses the money and has no more until the next natural unrelated earning opportunity arises. Anything less is pandering to him and your own guilt. It will hurt him, and it is exactly that hurt that drives home the lesson. Any less and he won't fully understand and is more likely to do it again causing him and parent more problems.

Parents are not friends, their job is guidance to life and understanding the value of possessions and money is best learnt young when its all relatively easy.
  • meher wrote: »
    ofcourse yes, poor thing - he is grieving for his lost precious £10 and learnt his lesson the moment he lost it and to have to bear with his mother's additional lessons is too much to ask for a 11 year old. I like to believe if you show that you trust your child, s/he'd work on living upto that expectation.

No way! I had a phone stolen (pickpocketed) from me on the metro. Why would my parents replace it? I know I'm a little older then Richie, but he has to learn to look after his stuff.

Cost me my food budget for a week to get another VERY CHEAP mobile, but it has definitely taught me to look after it a lot better. Zipped in the bag.
  • Marion is right and Howard is wrong, she is after all the woman and women are always right.
    Seriously children need to learn to look after money. these things happen to everyone. He may hate Marion in the short term but will thank her in the future. Life is Tough. 11 is old enough to accept this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure