MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Comments

• Shytalker
    Shytalker Posts: 32 Forumite
    Yes, they should give him the tenner.

The poor little bean has already suffered some anguish and humiliation and will have learnt something from that. Anyway, he was honest enough to tell his parents about it.

It might have been hard for him to admit it. Of course, he might also have calculated that they would replace it out of sympathy but they should give him the benefit of the doubt.

His honesty deserves a bit of encouragement.
  • burgers3
    burgers3 Posts: 21 Forumite
    No he needs to make sure he looks after his things money included life is hard he might think about it a little harder next time (it dont grow on trees my son) from my dad when i lost £1 back in the 60s and have not lost any since (apart from bad debt)
  • starkj
    starkj Posts: 63 Forumite
    Obviously the child need sorting out.

Don't give any more money.

Sew his pockets up.

Put him in the cupboard under the stairs.

Sell him to some gypsies for a tenner.

or have a heart, Guv?
  • heleen
    heleen Posts: 116 Forumite
    I woudl refund half of it and let the missing £5 be the lesson. And make it clear this is a one off bail out.
    Depends how much he normally gets/has though. If he's been saving up for 6 months to get the tenner I would only take 1 or 2 pounds off. If he gets a tenner a week then £5 seems fair.

Heleen
    I love it when a plan comes together :rotfl:
  • If I lost a tenner and went to my bank expecting them to reimburse me they'd die laughing.

So Bank of Mum and Dad - be just as tough.
  • chivas
    chivas Posts: 208 Forumite
    IMO, the poor thing is only a poor thing as long as he as lost the money - as soon as it is replaced he becomes a spoilt brat :rolleyes:
    I know that sounds harsh, but seriously, think about the future of the child - not about keeping him happy and looking good in his eyes right now. Giving more money turns a good life lesson into an incredibly bad one.

(Yes it's a shame - but if you lost your wallet would you go to your employee for reimbursement?? Once the money was given it was the responsibility of the keeper - and if they weren't responsible enough to look after it, then they shouldn't be given any more...)
    :money: I heart Martin! :money:
  • anonymousie
    anonymousie Posts: 995 Forumite
    I have a 14yr old and 11yr old and to both of them £10 is an awful lot of money- certainly not a "back pocket" amount. It is the sort of amount that the 14yr old might rarely take to school for concert tickets etc

They would both my mortified to have lost so much money- maybe I'm wrong, but even for the 14yr old, if they have £10 xmas/birthday spends I pop it in my purse till they need it!

I guess I'd go for the "not replace but earn it back" school of thought, but it wouldn't happen!
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    If anyone here is a parent it might be interesting if you ask your kids what they would do? Who knows - it might prevent them loosing any themselves.

I would be on the side of earning it back - after asking why it was loose in a back pocket. Gosh I'm a hard person.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • Of course they shouldn't. My son took his £70 birthday money with him to town years ago when he was 13. He lost it - pinched /lost, didn't know. We didn't replace it saying it had been his responsibility to keep it safe. Ten years later, he 'happened' to mention that he had gone with his mates to play football on the way and used his coat as a goal post; he then forgot to take his coat and when he went back, found that the money had gone.
    It was Richie's responsibility to look after this money - if anything lost is easily replaced, why should he learn to be more careful?
  • He should work for it. its a harsh lesson to learn but you can never start them off too early on the path to money sense
    weight loss challenge start Sept 2010 14s10lbs:eek: target 10s10lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport