MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Comments

• Of course they shouldn't. My son took his £70 birthday money with him to town years ago when he was 13. He lost it - pinched /lost, didn't know. We didn't replace it saying it had been his responsibility to keep it safe. Ten years later, he 'happened' to mention that he had gone with his mates to play football on the way and used his coat as a goal post; he then forgot to take his coat and when he went back, found that the money had gone.
    It was Richie's responsibility to look after this money - if anything lost is easily replaced, why should he learn to be more careful?
    Sounds like your son still hasn't learned a lesson yet

I'm pretty sure my mum and dad would have given me a tenner
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Buy him a wallet. He'll notice the difference between a tenner missing and a wallet missing.

I wouldn't replace it though.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • Gregm
    Gregm Posts: 151 Forumite
    What is an 11 year old doing going out with £10 note in his pocket anyway?

We are very much like anonymousie, any notes they get the wife 'holds' for them until it's needed. Any coins they have, ie change from when they have spent a £10 etc they keep hold of themselves. We do not live in a town so our kids can't walk down to Woollies so if our kids want to go to spend their ££ then generally we go at the weekend while out doing a shop anyway.

£10 is a lot for anyone too loose, if the parents reimburse then it is them that has now lost the £10, who is going to reimburse them? I say no reimbursement, it's tough but the boy has to learn by his mistakes.
  • yes, I think you should give the money back.........but only after let's say 2 weeks so this child will have enough time to think about what happened. He will be much more grateful than if you give the money straight away and should learn something about the experience. Now, this should be a one off, don't do it every week.
    £ 10 is a lot of dream for a 10 year old.
  • Don't replace the money... he's old enough to start taking responsibility and learn the value of things in life. Giving him another £10 will only mean if it happens again next time he'll expect to be helped out again... maybe for £20... then £50.... then £100... and so the snowball effect takes place...... next thing he's expecting to be bailed out of jail! OK, maybe a bit dramatic but you get the idea! lol
  • Tricia_Mc
    Tricia_Mc Posts: 31 Forumite
    Give him the opportunity to earn it back by working for it, but it should be proper work eg £5 for washing the car, but only if the car is actually clean rather than just having the dirt redistributed evenly (I speak from experience here)
  • TescoMum
    TescoMum Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter once took her purse to cinema when she went with her friend - forgetting that it still contained all of her birthday money!

She paid for ticket and goodies and didn't realise 'til she got home that she didn't have her purse! :eek: :cry::cry:

She was VERY LUCKY as it had been handed in along with the £62.00 contents still present!! :T

She learned TWO very valuable lessons that day ;
    1) Never carry more cash than you need
    2) Be honest - somebody somewhere will be very grateful! :A

Lifes are lessons are hard but do serve a purpose!
    TescoMum :-)

Always Ask Yourself...Do I Really Need It?

If Not then Sell It!

Even Better - Don't buy it in the First Place :-)
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    It depends on the child, if they are normally very careful and sensible and that was their months pocket money I'd give them £1 a week for the month (ie £4) so they had something but only £1 at a time to make the point about losing money.
    If they were careless and cheeky I'd say they had to learn a bit of a lesson and only give them 50p a week. (£2)
    (sorry but i can't imagine a 11 yr old getting £10 a week so I'm assuming it was a monthly amount)

Mind you I would also take it as a lesson to myself, what on earth was I doing giving an 11yr old a £10 note? and NOT checking to see that they had a wallet etc? So I'd buy them a wallet as well.
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• replace it but only after a few days as a lesson
  • starkj wrote: »
    Obviously the child need sorting out.

Don't give any more money.

Sew his pockets up.

Put him in the cupboard under the stairs.

Sell him to some gypsies for a tenner.

or have a heart, Guv?

Fantastic answer...laughed my socks off!! :rotfl: Poor lad, I'm pretty much in the same camp as ktj.... all depends on his nature.
    My dad bailed me out (and still does!) and I'm 43!!! With hindsight he should have been tougher with me..at the time It was a life saver!!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure