MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Howard and Marion replace Richie’s tenner?

Comments

• garyrjb
    garyrjb Posts: 20 Forumite
    Jostick wrote: »
    Richie is only saying he lost the £10. He is a budding Money [strike]Saving[/strike] Making Expert!
    If Mum holds sway, hey ho, it was worth a try. If Dad coughs up; result! Richie will be able to go to either one whenever he runs a bit short! The added advantage to any siblings is that they will also receive handouts to make things "fair".
    The solutiom? Simple; fine Richie £10 for being so careless. We all have to pay for our mistakes!

Oh what!!!?? Think about it; what sort of parent do you wish you'd had? :kiss:

If he was a decent money maker he would have sidled up to dad on his own and secured a £10 payment and then gone to his mum and got her to cough up as well!! £20.00 would be the minimum expected for a budding money maker!!!
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I would give him back a fiver and tell him that he needs to be more careful as next time NOTHING will be replaced!!
  • abjem21
    abjem21 Posts: 111 Forumite
    phoenix-6 wrote: »
    Lend Richie the £10 - have him repay it at £2 per week.

Then you would have the ideal opportunity to graphically show him what compound interest means :eek: , and how much repaying a loan can cost if you dont know what it means or how to negotiate.

Or you could ask him to help work out what Apr he should pay ! :D

By the way, I have a 13 year old daugter and she says NO WAY should they replace it. My hero.:A
    To anyone that tells you "There is no I in team" say no there isn't
    But there ARE TWO I'S IN COMMISSION and I dont get paid "Team"
    ...........:D..........
    Faint Heart, Fair Maiden, Juan NEVER!.
  • englishmac
    englishmac Posts: 137 Forumite
    phoenix-6 wrote: »
    Lend Richie the £10 - have him repay it at £2 per week.

… or offer Richie the choice of borrowing the £10 to be paid back in £2 instalments from future weeks’ pocket money. If he doesn’t need it (child definition of ‘need’ of course) he may decide to cut his losses now. This would encourage him to think things through and take responsibility for his own finances.

If it was sheer carelessness though I would personally be most inclined to say tough, let it be a lesson. No doubt easy for me to say, as I don’t have children, as parents regularly remind me. The value of £10 to an eleven year old is totally beyond my comprehension - I hear of weekly pocket money of £25 and am horrified but I believe it is quite common in some circles.

A further option if you want to be ‘soft’ on him is a (big) bit of a white lie. I have done this to a nephew before when he lost not money but a toy he had just bought. It was a special occasion he had saved for and he was really excited at being there. The item was quite expensive. He was younger – around 6 years old – and was very upset. We were still at the venue he bought it when it was discovered he had left it behind. I made a point of being very angry and retraced our steps to see if I could find it, making it quite clear that if I didn’t find it we would not replace it (he didn’t have enough to replace it himself at this point). I couldn’t find it but as he was very upset and it was a big occasion I bought a new one and pretended I had found it, stressing the point of how very lucky he was to still have it for several hours after. It made the point without spoiling his special outing too much (he didn’t care too much for the long drawn out ear bashing but at least he still had his souvenir).
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • I don't think mum and dad should replace Richie's tenner. Children need to appreciate the value of money and how to take care of it. By replacing the tenner they are not teaching him anything. Richie needs to know that when money is gone it's gone for good whether it be spent, stolen or lost. this will help him take better care of next week's pocket money.
  • LAXMI
    LAXMI Posts: 5 Forumite
    Since he's still young, but also old enough to learn an important lesson, tell him its either 50% it was pinched or 50% it was lost i.e his fault because can be proved only give him 50% of the money back - £5. Thats seems fair!:D
    :rotfl: Keep Calm and Save the World with a Pen:rotfl:
  • englishmac
    englishmac Posts: 137 Forumite
    consultium wrote: »
    Parents are not friends, their job is guidance to life and understanding the value of possessions and money is best learnt young when its all relatively easy.

OMG, I didn't know people like you still existed. A sane voice in a mad world! Welcome to my world!! :T :A
    Cheap and cheerful. Preferably free. :T LBM - more a gradual rude awakening.
    DFD where the light is at the end of this very long tunnel - there, see it? Its getting brighter!! :o

DFW Nerd Club Member no. 946. Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts. :D
  • I would give him back the money the first time and give him the chance to show he will be more careful in future.:T
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    If this is the first time this has happened, I would replace £5 and give him the opportunity, over a couple of weeks, to do extra jobs to earn the other £5.
    That's Numberwang!
  • Absolutely Not!! It's called taking responsibility for ones actions. Next time Richie may take more care and not be so careless when dealing with money. Hard lesson but Mum is definitely right, life is tough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure