We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PC Problems? - links to free online virus scanners

Options

Comments

• akward
    akward Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    JDPower wrote: »
    Virus Total and the like are fine for scanning suspicious files but are no good if you're already infected and need an online scanner to scan your computer.

Agree, but it's still a very useful tool. I use it rather often.
  • pjb2u
    pjb2u Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    malware bytes and ccleaner is all you need
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pjb2u wrote: »
    malware bytes and ccleaner is all you need
    I suggest you read the title of this thread :wall:
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ********* security
    You wouldn't be spamming now would you, given that is neither online OR free :naughty:
  • rosielea
    rosielea Posts: 46 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like to run the BitDefender Virus Scanner but it's asking to install a 'qsax.cab' add-on, is it OK to accept it?
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - it's the QuickScanActiveX (qsax.cab)

Are you having specific problems or just running an alternative scan to your installed AV?
  • rosielea
    Options
    Gazza1964 wrote: »
    Hi

I was checking my mums laptop today - just to make sure everything was ok as its all new to her - and I noticed that Webroot protection stated that it had been running for 1 day 7 hours and so many minutes - I thought this a bit strange as she has had the laptop about a fortnight.

Anybody know why this is... is it simply that the core program may have been updated or must it have been manually stopped and restarted ?

Thanks for any help - I am just being cautious as I dont want any disasters to happen and several nieces and nephews have access to the laptop and are keen to show thier grannie whats what on the interweb thingy.

I've had the very same problem. I contacted Webroot's help forum and they came back with:

"The protection status on the Overview panel starts recording protection time from the moment when the 2013 version is installed. The protection time is the amount of time Webroot has been actively protecting your system. For example, if you only use your computer for only 1 hour a day, after 1 week you will see "Protection has been active for 7 hours" (not 7 days).

If you would like further information on the features in our 2013 version, click here to view the SecureAnywhere User Guide.

If you click on the My Account panel, you will see your actual time remaining."

Hope it helps. :) Linda x
  • rosielea
    Options
    waddler_8 wrote: »
    Yes - it's the QuickScanActiveX (qsax.cab)

Are you having specific problems or just running an alternative scan to your installed AV?

Both. My laptop has been going a bit bonkers ever since I upgraded my Broadband from 10 to 30mgs with Virginmedia. I've got Webroot AV and it's scans find no threats so thought I'd try scanning online before taking it back to the shop again for another complete 'look-see'!
  • rosielea
    Options
    rosielea wrote: »
    Both. My laptop has been going a bit bonkers ever since I upgraded my Broadband from 10 to 30mgs with Virginmedia. I've got Webroot AV and it's scans find no threats so thought I'd try scanning online before taking it back to the shop again for another complete 'look-see'!

Now it's asking me to disable the 'Protected Mode' and run IE as administrator. I'm very nervous when it comes to things like this, is it OK to do so and will it be returned to Protected Mode once the scan is over or willI have to do it manually?
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    rosielea wrote: »
    is it OK to do so
    Yes. Q14

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/faq/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate