🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PC Problems? - links to free online virus scanners

Options

Comments

• allison_white99
    Options
    If you've got a barclays account online, you can get free Kapersky Internet security for free for up to 3 computers x
  • allison_white99
    Options
    OOps! I meant kaspersky internet security 2011 :)
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    If you've got a barclays account online, you can get free Kapersky Internet security for free for up to 3 computers x

What's the relevance of that in a thread about online scanners? :doh:
    604!
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    What's the relevance of that in a thread about online scanners? :doh:
    I take it that this means that the ones you download such as Malewarebytes are not on line scanners as such. Are you able to recommend your choice of a good free one ?
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    I take it that this means that the ones you download such as Malewarebytes are not on line scanners as such. Are you able to recommend your choice of a good free one ?

Are you able to read? see here and here
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • theloft
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Are you able to read? see here and here
    Why do experienced users like yourself have to be rude to non-techies like myself. We come on to these forums for help and just because you CAN read, have you tried using the Search facility lately ? It comes up with all sorts of stuff not associated with original query. And in any case my question was addressed to T.O.G.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    Are you able to recommend your choice of a good free one ?

All the links to the online scanners in the first post are free. Try them and see which you prefer. I don't make recommendations about AV because it depends which features are most important to you as a user - memory use, scan speed, user interface, update rate, realtime detection performance, in-the-wild capability, browser/email integration etc.

There are websites where these features are regularly tested such as VirusBulletin and AVComparatives.

TOG
    604!
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do experienced users like yourself have to be rude to non-techies like myself. We come on to these forums for help and just because you CAN read, have you tried using the Search facility lately ? It comes up with all sorts of stuff not associated with original query. And in any case my question was addressed to T.O.G.
    Whilst not defending espresso's rather rude reply you have to understand it gets frustrating people constantly posting in this online scanners thread about regular anti-virus software. I understand not everyone may understand what an online scanner is but I think the first post makes it clear enough doesn't it:
    This thread is for free online scanners, which run in your web browser - NOT installed software like Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, AVG and so on.
    So you can only assume people haven't bothered to read it before posting any and every AV related question in the wrong place, ie here.
  • theloft
    Options
    JDPower wrote: »
    Whilst not defending espresso's rather rude reply you have to understand it gets frustrating people constantly posting in this online scanners thread about regular anti-virus software. I understand not everyone may understand what an online scanner is but I think the first post makes it clear enough doesn't it:So you can only assume people haven't bothered to read it before posting any and every AV related question in the wrong place, ie here.
    I accept that I was in error in not understanding the difference between an online scanner and others. But when it is a subject that you are not conversant with, I was just trying to be clear as I had obtained my system on the web. I now realise the difference. Unfortunately I went to the latest posts for information. I think that the abbreviated synopsis in your post should be at the top of each page, which would help ignorant folk like me !
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • amanspc
    Options
    hey,
    Online Scanner is not intended to be used as permanent replacement for your computer's security. It's designed to only detect and remove threats via on demand scan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport