PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Options

Comments

• Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I would recommend
    1. Victory cookbook by Margeurite Patten - sorry about spelling
    2. Paupers cookbook - Jocasta Innes
    3. Anything by Shirley Goode - classic thrift from the 1980's
    4. Food for free - Richard Mabey - great for wannabee foragers - you can save quids if you know what to look for and when to look
    5. Also on the subject of foraging - river cottage do a great seashore foraging book, great if you live close to the beach
    6. Anything by Fiona beckett - beyond baked beans, and her other student cook books
    7. Grub on a grant - by Cas ? - classic cheap student food
    Why not check out the library - there are loads of frugal food books at ours - most of the above are available to lend, and at least you can get a good look at them before you buy

Best Wishes

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I forgot to add that my absolute favourite OS style books are Tightwad Gazette and Thrifty ways for modern days - although most of whats in the latter I've read on the forum, I still like to have it in book format :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 February 2010 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Recently got Darina Allen's 'Forgotten Skills of Cooking' and love it - includes foraging, all sorts of basic dishes, how to use up more or less every part of an animal, preserving just about anything you can think of, wine and beer making, smoking food, sausage making, etc, etc... She is Rachel Allen's mother-in-law I think.

Thanks for the review. I keep looking at that book and wondering if it's any good. I'll have to order it. :)

Edited to add:
    The Book People have it for £9.99.
  • cheeswright
    Options
    just talking to neighbour over fence and she had the forgotten skills book - ten mins later had out credit card...loads of stuff in it that I have already spent ages looking up on internet - an lots i hadnt thought to....excellent recomendation
    Fight Back - Be Happy
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    try the paupers cookbook, very cheap on amazon and brilliant,
    also try "How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet, with Very Little Money and Hardly Any Time, Even If You Have a Tiny Kitchen, Only Three ... - Unless You Count the Garlic Crusher... " by Gill Holcombe
    she has a second one out called "Fish Pies and French Fries, Vegetables, Meat and Something Sweet ... Affordable, Everyday Food and Family-friendly Recipes Made Easy"
    QUOTE]

I got the former from a charity shop for £2 after wanting it for ages and tbh found it overpriced even then. About half the book is taken up with desserts and puddings and I never cook or eat those.

I have a lot of time for Economy Gastronomy and Jamies Ministry of Food tho and in addition on the cookery side, anything by Cas Clarke who did a whole series of about 8 books or so when I was around Uni age.

ahh well we love puddings (which is bad!) so it's gone down well, even a couple of friends who had a read went out and bought it and they are not cook-type people so i was pleased it helped them
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Trix2
    Trix2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I would recommend the 'Everyday Cookbook' by Marguerite Patten. You can still find it in charity shops (although the measurements might be in imperial). It is far and away the most useful cookbook I've ever had, for basic stuff, like how long to cook carrots - to more complicated but still basic and very edible things. It has easy separates sections on meat, fish, etc. I'm so hooked on it I have been using it for 32 years and rummage round charity shops buying copies for friends. My kids both have one.

Hope this helps.
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    Trinny wrote: »
    Hello all

I would recommend
    1. Victory cookbook by Margeurite Patten - sorry about spelling
    2. Paupers cookbook - Jocasta Innes
    3. Anything by Shirley Goode - classic thrift from the 1980's
    4. Food for free - Richard Mabey - great for wannabee foragers - you can save quids if you know what to look for and when to look
    5. Also on the subject of foraging - river cottage do a great seashore foraging book, great if you live close to the beach
    6. Anything by Fiona beckett - beyond baked beans, and her other student cook books
    7. Grub on a grant - by Cas ? - classic cheap student food
    Why not check out the library - there are loads of frugal food books at ours - most of the above are available to lend, and at least you can get a good look at them before you buy

Best Wishes

Trin

^^ So agree with Trin's suggestions, if fact they are some of the books I use the most.

Economy Gastronomy - IMO just hype. I tried some recipes and did not like them.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try the paupers cookbook, very cheap on amazon and brilliant,
    also try "How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet, with Very Little Money and Hardly Any Time, Even If You Have a Tiny Kitchen, Only Three ... - Unless You Count the Garlic Crusher... " by Gill Holcombe
    she has a second one out called "Fish Pies and French Fries, Vegetables, Meat and Something Sweet ... Affordable, Everyday Food and Family-friendly Recipes Made Easy"
    very handy and easy to use, lovely recipes and ideas :) oh and i second econnomy gastronomy and Jamies ministry of food, MoF is fan-blimming-tastic!!

I bought 'How To Feed Your Family...........'
    from Amazon, it arrived on the Saturday and my dad took it home with him when he came for dinner on the Sunday! :rotfl: I never even got to turn the first page.

So beware, if you buy these books, hide 'em from your family and friends! :cool:
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Thanks for the review. I keep looking at that book and wondering if it's any good. I'll have to order it. :)

Edited to add:
    The Book People have it for £9.99.

If you order from the Book People don't forget to go via Quidco for 6% cashback (goes a little way towards p&p, although sometimes they have half price or free p&p, depending on the offer).

I don't have much patience with Jamie Oliver's stuff, I find it usually over-complicated (it makes me laugh how he claims to cook "Italian" food! A variation of it, more like!).

My fav OS book at the moment is "Sucking Eggs: What Your Wartime Granny Could Teach You About Diet, Thrift and Going Green" by Patricia Nicol. Various offers on Amazon, from around £5+P&P
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    *must resist urge to order books*
    *MUST RESIST URGE TO ORDER BOOKS*

Darn! I think I will have to order that one Caterina!
    Put the kettle on. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family