PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Options

Comments

• thriftychick
    Options
    For moneysaving in general its got to be Martin's money diet but for food then my most useful one is "How to feed your family for £4 a day" (although I think its £5 now) by Bernadine Lawrence. The new book by Gill Holcombe "How to feed your whole family" is along similar lines and good too.

To be honest though, all the advice on old style is far more useful than any book!
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    lollyred1 wrote: »
    i have mse ones already but have decided this yr i really need to knuckle down to saving money and living more frugle(sure thats the right word) any help would be great x

Right word; wrong spelling - FRUGAL ;)

We have an existing thread on just this subject - I'll merge this one to give you more ideas :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • redfraggle_2
    Options
    Thrift by India Knight - not necessarily about doing things very cheaply, but its about living cheaply with style. encouraged me to give home-made presents and cakes (which everyone loves!) and think about vintage styles (not just second hand).
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm currently reading 'How I lived a year on a pound a day' by Kathy Kelly which is quite interesting. Not so much principles of how to live but a story of one person's challenge to themselves.
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this thread!

I've just reading (almost finished!) The Thrift Book by India Knight which I've found really interesting (she's probably not as old style as some of the authors of some of the books on here) and have given me a few good ideas to try. It covers subjects such as food, beauty, holidays etc, might be a good book for someone who wants to know a bit more about old style, not everyone on this board would learn something from it!

Does anyone have any other books to recommend? I've made a list whilst I've been going through this thread to look for but was wondering if anyone has read anything else recently since the last post on this thread was over a year ago!

Just wanted to add also, I joined www.readitswapit.co.uk a few days ago, seems to be a very good website for swapping books with people which you no longer want :)
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    I love the Fragrant Pharmacy, the Holistic Beauty book, and also Home Comforts, and all the Tightwad Gazette books x
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0971855110/ref=sib_rdr_dp

will definitely be going on my list!
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • tinkerbellsmum_2
    Options
    have u tried read it swap it for some of these books i know some r on there requested a couple myself but no books on my list they want. will keep trying lol
    i got a few cleaning ones
  • tinkerbellsmum_2
    Options
    ClaireLR wrote: »
    Just wanted to bump this thread!

I've just reading (almost finished!) The Thrift Book by India Knight which I've found really interesting (she's probably not as old style as some of the authors of some of the books on here) and have given me a few good ideas to try. It covers subjects such as food, beauty, holidays etc, might be a good book for someone who wants to know a bit more about old style, not everyone on this board would learn something from it!

Does anyone have any other books to recommend? I've made a list whilst I've been going through this thread to look for but was wondering if anyone has read anything else recently since the last post on this thread was over a year ago!

Just wanted to add also, I joined www.readitswapit.co.uk a few days ago, seems to be a very good website for swapping books with people which you no longer want :)

lol read back after i posted i've requested this book on read it swap it i love read it swap it been a member for over 2 years now
  • cheeswright
    Options
    I'm a bit of a book collecter
    and have bough rather too many 'old style' books - often great reviews on - you know where...but sadly lacking in content - or sense...or...
    i would be really grateful if people could let me - and others too ! know
    whats worth buying ( eternal reference - dont shut that - my fingers still in there)
    whats worth getting out of the library ( interesting points but not worth the shelf space)
    and - avoid - its just another publicity thing and has no content ....

should anyone wish to know my must have is the better homes cookbook - american - but not a single bad recipe - eveything has come out really well ( must have cup measures) i love this book better than margarite patton and mrs beeton combined...

out of the library - jocasta innes - the country kitchen - all those questions about how long can you keep it - how can you preserve it - etc competently answered

avoid -How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet, with Very Little Money and Hardly Any Time, Even If You Have a Tiny Kitchen, Only Three ... - Unless You Count the Garlic Crusher.
    unless ou think deep frying is healthy -:eek:
    as dyslexia slows me down so much with reading - would realy appreciate suggestions - thans

( p.s. is anybody 'incharge reads this please could they note - i cant beat the logout speed on this iste - and spell things properly....! - bit porr for thhose of us with a bit of a struggle on here guys!!!!!)
    Fight Back - Be Happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family