PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The Bible? :unsure:
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    I have, and still use, the indexed collection of recipes that accompanied the first series of the Farmhouse Kitchen, maybe late 60's. They are looking a bit worse for wear these days but I could never part with them. I have never been tempted to try any of the recipes from the Home Made Beer and Wine section but, never say never!!

It was the highlight of my day, getting my feet up with a cup of coffee, and watching dear old Dorothy Sleightholme in her Farmhouse Kitchen! I couldn't wait to send off my cheque to Yorkshire Television for the collection of recipes at the end of the series!

I just remembered I had those! I found a set at a car boot sale a few years ago. Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes, More Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes and Further Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes. Just dug them out and having a lovely read with a cuppa.

Over the years though in times of trouble I always return to Tightwad Gazette (Amy Dacyczyn) and How to Feed Your Family on Five Pounds a Day (Bernadine Lawrence) supplemented by some of the old style threads on stretching pennies.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I just remembered I had those! I found a set at a car boot sale a few years ago. Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes, More Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes and Further Farmhouse Kitchen Recipes. Just dug them out and having a lovely read with a cuppa.

Over the years though in times of trouble I always return to Tightwad Gazette (Amy Dacyczyn) and How to Feed Your Family on Five Pounds a Day (Bernadine Lawrence) supplemented by some of the old style threads on stretching pennies.

They are still on sale :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Dorothy%20Sleightholme&search-alias=books-uk&sort=relevancerank
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't look ike that link is working :(
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Elisheba wrote: »
    Doesn't look ike that link is working :(
    It was just an Amazon search page for the terms Farmhouse Kitchen Dorothy Sleightholme, there's quite a few books on Amazon :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure