PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Options

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2012 at 12:07AM
    Options
    Haven't currently got this one so just bought it off ebay for £2.68 !

Edited to add: delivery included
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Badrick
    Badrick Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't want to buy it new from Amazon marketplace.
    £79.99 + £2.80 delivery :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • skintmum2012
    Options
    O my I did not know books could cost that much I think mine cost me about £2.68p to but I am not sure as I got it with a voucher.
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, lol.... I was supposed to be being really strict with myself and not buying anything... Just bought one of ebay for pennies under £3 (inc P&P)... I love looking at recipies and my eldest DS loves learning about the war etc and it looks like it has bits about the war as well as recipies :)
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • ostaragirl
    Options
    I've just ordered a copy too, itching to see what's all in it. Thanks for that.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I have this one, and also The Victory cookbook that is a compliment. Another brilliant one is "Waste not want not" by Stella Atterbury which is a leftover cookbook. I recently got one from Abe books for a friend.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    with cheap ingredients
    Is there much for vegetarians or is it all about raiding the butchers for scrag ends of meat? If the book reflects the war-time connotations of the title then I'm not sure I would much fancy any of the recipes, culinary tastes have changed incredibly since then, for the better IMO.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

I'll add this thread to our main recommended book thread shortly...

Recommend an Old Style Book?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • skintmum2012
    Options
    I have this one, and also The Victory cookbook that is a compliment. Another brilliant one is "Waste not want not" by Stella Atterbury which is a leftover cookbook. I recently got one from Abe books for a friend.

I have the Victory cookbook as well which I think is good but I think we'll eat again is amazing :) I have also got post war kitchen which if I am honest I did not think much of I think I felt a bit let down after reading we'll eat again. I am going to have to Ama""n waste not want not. Thank you for the tip :) I love makes waiting on make do and mend at the mo.

VfM4meplse: There is a LOT of meat in this book but there is also veggie meals and I would have thought if the book says sausages you could use quarn instead (I think they are better then the meat ones anyway) My sister is a veggie and I could feed her out of this book even if I did adapt a few things for her :)

Shortie: Yes there are bits about the war as well which was one of the reasons I love it as well. I am really intrested in the war. And the people that where alive during it and what it was like.

Hope everyone loves the book as much as I do :D
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6

• skintmum2012
    Options
    Also I managed to get a coppy of Waste not want not from World of Books for 2.99 everywhere else seemed to be selling it for £6.
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills