PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recommend an Old Style Book?

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    An american book called 'the delectable egg' by mel marshall and published in 1968.

As someone who often has a surplus of eggs the plethora of ideas for smart breakfasts or light lunches beyond eggs benedict is welcome, let alone the fun in reading it. There are also some more substantial meals and puds in there.

Its a book that cheers me up in its delight in such a simple subject. Its something I think of as being truely old style too.

I have quite a few 'old' books, but the delectable egg is one of my desert island books.
  • siegemode
    siegemode Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Butterfly Brain, Wow 400 books ! I feel quite envious. I have a couple of boxes of books upstairs since there's no room in the kitchen. Thanks for reminding me of the Sainsbury' Teatime Favourites, I've just retrieved it and feel a baking session is imminent:D I have 20+ books from that range, but my most used one and kept in the Kitchen is Home Baking by Carole Handslip.

I had, but loaned out Wartime Cookery by Marguerite Patten and never got it back so I'm going to order a few books from @maz0n in a bit. I'll check your others out too. I have given so many books away, but tried to keep the most useful. I wish space wasn't such an issue:(
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two of my favourties are:

Kitchen in the Hills (Elizabeth West)

Grandma's Ways for modern living (Paul and Diana Peacock)
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I have, and still use, the indexed collection of recipes that accompanied the first series of the Farmhouse Kitchen, maybe late 60's. They are looking a bit worse for wear these days but I could never part with them. I have never been tempted to try any of the recipes from the Home Made Beer and Wine section but, never say never!!

It was the highlight of my day, getting my feet up with a cup of coffee, and watching dear old Dorothy Sleightholme in her Farmhouse Kitchen! I couldn't wait to send off my cheque to Yorkshire Television for the collection of recipes at the end of the series!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Janey3
    Janey3 Posts: 417 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh yes, travellingAbuela, I remember watching Dorothy Sleightholme's programmes! I sent off for the recipes too, but unfortunately have lost most of them over the years, but I still have a couple in their lovely little wallets. Going to dig them out now! - Happy memories!
  • LolaLemon
    LolaLemon Posts: 958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bella79 wrote: »
    I've just finshed reading this and WOW its a real eye opener, and confirms most of what i thought i knew.

Has any of you os'ers read it ? your thoughts?

For peeps who havent, info about it can be found here: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-defined-a-k-a-the-rules/

This ladys blog is all based on the book, some go as far as "raw milk"

They sayf if your great-grandmother wouldnt reconise the food in your trolly, you shoudnt be buying it.

Just wanted others opinions. i know most of us on here already cook from scratch etc but would u go as far as to not use sugar (except honey, maple) only wholmeal flour etc "raw milk", local meat?

I try not to use sugar, we have honey if needed (mostly for smoothies) I've yet to convert how much honey i would need for baking a cake etc but it is an aim to get away from the white processed stuff.
    Would LOVE to be able to get raw milk, but its illegal in Scotland yet we can order it in, just cant sell it up here,, crazy.
    I try and buy local meat, my fav butcher is rather expensive, his meats are mouhwateringly delicious, and you can taste the difference, its all organic etc and is an absolute treat for us to be going to that one.

My fav cookery books are actually the us borne childrens cook books as they are only small portions for one or two people, full of pictures and easy to understand and explain how to do a technique. they have tips on how to chnage and adapt as well. great for people moving into a house for the first time and havingto cook for themselves.
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2014 at 8:57AM
    Options
    If anyone is interested there's a book with traditional British cake recipes for 77p, :)
    here's where I posted about it:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64597579&postcount=727

EDITED forgot to mention that it uses imperial measurements, if anyone prefers them
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    I read a couple of blogs - they are free so even better than books.

A Thrifty Mrs

Frugal Queen

Wartime Housewife

..and google some, lots come up. They have posts on all sorts, from recipes to household and beauty tips.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I was given a 'Good Housekeeping' cookery book in 1977 as a Wedding present - and it is in Tatters! it is my 'go to' book for basic recipes! I am finding I am also using it more in the last few years as 'retro' foods become fashionable.
    I also use a little paperback book called 'Shirley Goodes Kitchen' - lots of useful moneysaving recipes in there and the Banana Bread recipe is the best one I have come across. (though I have customised and improved on it by substituting Golden Syrup for Apricot Jam).
    I also use various recipes from the 'Favourite' series which I have collected from the £1.20 shop in Saundersfoot. every holiday I have bought a few recipe books from there. and almost every one has yielded a recipe which I use regularly.
    They are little booklets published by J Salmon Ltd, website www.jsalmon.co.uk
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 March 2014 at 2:26PM
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks! I read through this thread, and bought a few of the books recommended, and I also already had a few.

I particularly want to say The Tightwad Gazette is just fabulous! Obviously not everything is relevant, but its all about the attitude isn't it, and it very easy and fun to read as well as being very useful!

I also really like 'How to feed your family a healthy, balanced diet...' Straightforward, easy recipes, most of which I can easily convert to vegatarian for myself.

'Grandma's Ways for Modern Day' is also really clear and easy to read, and a good resource to have around.

Now I bought all 3 of thee books secondhand on Amazon, and only really paid for postage. However, I bought 'More with Less', and 'Diet for a Small Planet' on Kindle, and I don't know if it is because they are on Kindle, but I'm really not into them at all. It might just be the wrong format for cookbooks...

I also already had 'Sucking Eggs: what your Wartime Granny could teach you...' and can recommend it as a really enjoyable, and quite useful book!
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure