We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

can I freeze cheese

1…89111314…26

Comments

  • jodie114
    jodie114 Posts: 417 Forumite
    With the morrisons 50p crunch this week on cheese, i wanted to know if i stocked up, can i freeze it?

    its the pre grated type in resealable bag?


    thanks

    jodie
    Ok, ok, i need to go back onto Weightwatchers, lost 7 stone..... 2 back on, this has to change.....Help!!!:eek:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,216
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jodie114 wrote: »
    With the morrisons 50p crunch this week on cheese, i wanted to know if i stocked up, can i freeze it?

    You can :D I've just added frozen cheese to a sauce for supper.

    I'll add this to the existing cheese freezing thread to keep ideas together.

    Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Excellent - did a search and found this thread. Two mini batches of grated cheese now in the freezer. No waste, yippee!:T
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • Hi all,

    Been lurking here for a while and must say i have picked up some great tips thank you everyone!!

    I was just wondering if you can freeze cheese...as in blocks of it, as it is always in the reduced section but i'm never sure if it can be freezed - if it can how long for?

    thanks for you help

    Jules
  • You can :j I'll add this to the existing thread on freezing cheese to keep ideas together ;)

    Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thank you!!! - i've just had a quick look at it seems to answer my questions!!
  • NAT.B_2
    NAT.B_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    I had no idea you could freeze cheese! Im learning alot! thanks lol
  • You can freeze cheese but its very difficult to slice once its defrosted, its best to grate it first
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi folks,
    I got a bit carried away and bought a bit of extra cheese- can I freeze the block whole, or is it best to grate it ?
    It is organic cheddar and some non-organic cheddar too.
    (Board guides feel free to add this to another thread :)- I just was not sure where to put it other than somewhere on the OS board).
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi orkneystar,

    You can freeze the whole block but after defrosting it can be a bit crumbly and difficult to cut into slices so I prefer to freeze it grated and just remove as much as I need when I need it.

    There's an older thread with more ideas so I'll add your thread to that one to keep the replies together.

    Pink
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.