Powergen !

Options

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    with regards to the discounts for dual fuel etc. I've been with powergen for a couple of years now since being sold by TXU to them so had little choice. On the energy online dual fuel tariff all the time I've yet to get a bill that declares any discount, BUT, I've yet to get a bill with any standing charge showing either online or on the paper bill. they have stiffed me around the last couple of weeks iwth me switching banks(4 months ago) so problems with DD, I await my next bills with interest etc. to compare the charge per unit etc.
  • Clayts_2
    Options
    Okay so I guess the general advice if you are in my position ie: mid switch but started switching before November 2nd is:

1) Continue switch as the old prices for energy online customers will stand until at least january maybe longer

2) Keep an eye on any further announcments and start switch as soon as it is confirmed energy online prices are going up.

3) Take the tesco points and £10 bonus for switching.

If you started switching before 2nd Nov it might better to cancel the switch and check the comparison prices again, on the other hand the tescos points and £10 might still make it worth while switching for just a month.

I will also keep an eye on the £10.75 discount we should get buit some seemly are not. Thanks for all your help guys.
  • Smartasss
    Options
    Clayts wrote about energy online:
    If you started switching before 2nd Nov it might better to cancel the switch

Why?

If you started before 2/11, then presumably that was because they were the best deal at that time.

As they aren't increasing the prices for those customers what would be the point of cancelling the switch?
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Just viewed my lastest bill online and the discount was £5-12.
    A relative of mine on exactly the same tariff but who used less energy over the quarter got £5-50 discount.
  • Clayts_2
    Options
    Clayts wrote about energy online:

Why?

If you started before 2/11, then presumably that was because they were the best deal at that time.

As they aren't increasing the prices for those customers what would be the point of cancelling the switch?

sorry i meant after 2nd novemeber.....
  • snowflake_3
    Options
    Hi everyone

Have had 2 replies from Powergen, one is the standard email that others of you have had saying that the price rise won't affect those who are aready online customers (or, as in my case, those who had started to switch), and the other was in reply to my email when I asked them to not switch me to them any more.

In this other email, they did say that if I carried on with the switch to them, I would not be affected by the price rise because I was an online customer, and had already started the switch before the price rises were announced, but they said they could give no assurances as to when they would have to put prices up for such existing customers.

So, now I guess I have nothing to loose by continuing with my switch to them, and getting my extra clubcard points, but I will have to watch when they announce a price increase for online cutmomers. I guess all you other moneysavers will also be watching out for that too!
  • Smartasss
    Smartasss Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    Hi alared.
    Just viewed my lastest bill online and the discount was £5-12

They only pay the DD discount quarterly.

That's the one that is 2 x £10.50 per year.

So each quarter should be £5.25 discount - maybe your last bill covered (say) 89 days instead of 90 to get to the £5.12.

The other two discounts (dual fuel £12 + online account £10) get knocked off the bills as lump sums at the end of each full year.

Hope this helps.
  • howells_2
    Options
    I had some questions, so I phoned the Powergen helpline. I ended up talking to an Indian lady (Calcutta, I think - I did ask her, but can't remember exactly). She was less than helpful, told me things which turned out to be wrong, and claimed the computer was down (I didn't believe her as she seemed to be waffling). Perhaps it was me, but I also had problems with lack of mutual understanding - my English is fairly standard with no perceivable accent (others tell me). So, I am reasonably certain the problem was with her English!

A couple of weeks later I had another reason to ring, and I asked the gentleman who replied where he was based - India again. I asked to be put through to someone in Britain which he promptly did. I ended up speaking to a lady in Nottingham (England). She was very helpful and knowledgeable, and put right the things the previous Indian lady had done wrong.

So, in future I will always be asking to be put through to someone in this country.

Please note that I am not racist, it is just that I believe Powergen are saving money at the expense of customer support.

Cheers, Mike.
  • King_David_2
    Options
    The sad thing with the last post is that you felt you had to cover your back when it comes to racism.

Why do we always have to justify the things we do?
  • tk
    tk Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    we feel the need to cover our backs to be "nice" maybe?. I am sick of phoning companies and having someone who doesnt talk english answer, its very awkward and off putting, but i have to admit i havent had the balls to ask to be transferred to england!
    trying hard to count my blessings while surrounded by idiots :O)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure