Powergen !

Options

Comments

• avebury_2
    Options
    As mentioned above, it looks like existing customers of certain tariffs are not affected by the Powergen price rise but anybody switching to Powergen since the price rise announcement will be quoted the new increased prices.

I don't know whether this means that those in the cooling off period (like me) qualify as existing customers or not - it's definitely not very clear.
  • chico
    chico Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just been informed by a very helpful lady from Powergen that as I applied to transfer to their Energy Online tariffs before the price increases were announced, the increases would not apply to my account.

The comparison websites are probably now reflecting the increased prices, assuming that the enquirer is proposing to apply to Powergen and so will have a new account subject to the new price tariffs.
  • Fastflys
    Fastflys Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Further to my earlier posts:

The plot thickens – Powergen are now giving out the following information:

Their Energy Online Duel Fuel tariff and Age Concern tariff will remain unchanged for existing customers.

An existing customer is one who has switched fuel accounts to Powergen prior to
    2nd November.

Anyone who began their switch to Powergen before
    2nd November will be treated as an existing customer.

It has been reported that Powergen will be increasing charges for existing customers on their Energy Online Duel Fuel tariff in January 05.  Not true, say Powergen.

It has been reported that Powergen will be increasing charges for existing customers on their Age Concern tariff in March 05.  Not true, say Powergen.

Past information from Powergen CS has at best been questionable and at worst
    been lies.

I will believe the above when I have documentary evidence to support it.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • averagepunter
    Options
    Just to add to the above - I have also received email confirmation from Powergen that they will not be increasing the price for Energy Online customers who applied before 2 Nov.

What was more surprising that the response only took 12 hours. I'm still happy with my Powergen experience so far.

Andy
    If you're happy to sell it to me at a price I am happy to pay - then I want it cheaper.
  • King_David_2
    Options
    Fastflys and averagepunter - many thanks for that information.

I applied to change my gas from British Gas to Powergen towards the end of October (electricity already Powergen).

I wasn't sure as I am another one in the cooling off period - your information was very helpful.

Cheers to both of you.
  • snowflake_3
    Options
    I too am on my cooling off period with Powergen, and have this morning, emailed to tell them I don't wish to switch to them anymore in view of their recent price hikes.

I have just had a reply from them saying that, because they have so many emails to reply to , it will take them about 5 days to reply! Could this mean they have been overwhelmed with people wanting to cancel?

I think I may have to phone them incase this wait would put me too close to the end of the cooling off period now.

I am considering switching to Scottish Power now that they are showing to be the best savers for me, and Powergen have slipped to about number 8 on my list!

ps hope I have set this up properly because it is my first post.
  • averagepunter
    Options
    I have just had a reply from them saying that, because they have so many emails to reply to , it will take them about 5 days to reply!  Could this  mean they have been overwhelmed with people wanting to cancel?

I had the same standard email reply about the five day response - however, I sent my e-mail about 10.30pm last night and had a response by 10.30 this morning.

I'm sure they'll respond quickly if they know you're thinking of cancelling.
    If you're happy to sell it to me at a price I am happy to pay - then I want it cheaper.
  • Fastflys
    Fastflys Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Hi snowflake,

Welcome aboard.

Don’t take offence but did you not read averagepunter’s and my posts above?

Internet comparison websites, “uSwitch” to name one are now comparing Powergen against other providers using Powergen’s new higher prices. This is why Powergen has in your case slipped to 8th position.

If you can believe Powergen’s CS, you will be classified as an existing customer by virtue of the fact that you began your switch to Powergen before 2nd November and as such will be offered their Energy Online Duel Fuel tariff at the price quoted before this month’s increase.

Don’t be too quick stopping your switch to Powergen. You may well be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • Clayts_2
    Options
    Just recieved this email from powergen. I have justed decided to switch about 2 weeks ago (so before 2nd Nov) to the online tarriff:

----

Dear Customer

YOUR ENERY PRICES ARN'T CHANGING

You've probably heard that energy prices are increasing throughout the UK this year, but there's no need to worry. As a Powergen EnergyOnline customer, these increases don't affect you. Because you manage your energy online, we can pass the savings onto you, and you still get all these great benefits:

Up to £43 annual discount*

Secure online access to your account anytime and no more paper bills

Provide meter readings easily online - no more estimated bills

Receive Tesco Clubcard points for every pound you spend on your bills

If your prices change in the future, we'll let you know immediately how these affect you.
  • snowflake_3
    Options
    Thanks for your reply " Average punter", and thanks for your advice "Fastflys". I did tell Powergen that I was switching because of the recent pricehikes, so I am hoping that they will advise me about the "Energy Online Duel tariff" not going up, if it does apply to me. Then maybe I can opt for this one. I think I will email them and specifically ask them. Reading some of the previous posts about Powergen though does make me a bit unsure about the promise of no price increase because I am not yet set up as a customer.

Do you know if they are saying that the prices on this particular tariff will be frozen for any period of time? Or do you think that they will put these up very soon too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure