Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• cruella_de_vile
    Options
    Mobile broadband is the answer your looking for.

This is broadband (Well it's being called mobile broadband) basically through radio waves in the same way that a mobile phone operates. I think you can actually use a mobile phone (certain models) as your modem although It's usual to use a USB modem specifically for the task that takes its power from the usb socket hence constant charging not needed etc.

My mobile phone contract ends with Orange in 5 days. Out of curiosity when I wasw planning on going with Three rang up Orange to see if they could offer me anything interesting before I cancelled. The mobile phone deal wasn't good enough to beat new contracts with all the extras but they could do me the 3Gb mobile broadband for £5 a month although it would go onto my current mobile number, hence I would lose it.

Now my initial interest was with Three. I could get on a promotional price plan 1100 minutes or texts for £20 with a Nokia 6500 Slider. I would then be a Three customer so can then get the mobile broadband half price. So £7.50 a month for 3 Gb. Both 18 month contracts. Quidco could pay out over £100 on these two contracts. Also a free offer of Bluetooth headset of you get the code from customer services or know what it is already. This could work out less than £23 a month with a Nokia 6500 Slider with 1100 minutes/texts with a Bluetooth headset. And a USB modem with 3Gb data a month. Superb deal relly with no cashback claims to worry about.

Regards

Vertical

Thanks so much for your reply.

Can you tell me, is it the same kind of speed as conventional broadband?
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Dial a Phone have Orange Internet Everywhere 18 at £7.50 per month for first 10 months (by redemption) on an 18 month contract (Normally £15).
    Includes a Free Orange USB Modem stick (up to 3.6 Mbps). Usage limit is 3 gb per month.
    So thats £195 for the 18 months. Order via Quidco and you could be in for a £60 cashback as well bringing price down to £135 or equivalent of £7.50 per month.
  • MissMuppet
    MissMuppet Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    I ordered Vodafone Mobile Broadband last week... I tried it on my desktop and 2 laptops and in 2 different locations and the speeds were rubbish!! I noted some of them down... 162.7Kbps, 293.6Kbps, 287.7Kbps... No even 1Mb!!

I have called Vodafone this morning and I'm returning it, £25 a month for those kinds of speeds is daylight robbery. On the coverage map it said the speeds should be between 800Kbps and 1.2Mb.

So be warned anyone who's considering this... just make sure you test it as soon as you get it so you can send it back within the 14 days!
  • vertical_fool
    vertical_fool Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply.

Can you tell me, is it the same kind of speed as conventional broadband?

It's certainly faster than dial up and comparable to land broadband in my opinion based on the single place I've used it in the evening however the morning seemed poorer to the point where I didn't bother although I didn't move closer to the window or use a longer lead (Need to get one to try).

Comparing to conventional broadband. Conventional broadband varies a great deal and the demands of its user also varies hugely. For light/general use conditions I think it's great.

Vertical
  • Fruity1
    Fruity1 Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I admit I haven't got a clue about this so apologies for any totally dumb questions. My ex sorted all things pc related.:confused:

I've moved house and don't wish to put a landline in at the min. I've got a laptop that was prevoiusly wireless (connected by modem I believe to main pc). Anyway a friend suggested I get a dongle????:eek: However, having looked on vodaphone the reception for them is really poor in my little village.

So what I'd like to know please is what is my best alternative away from a landline, thats likely to work in a remote village, that is cheap as possible, and idiot proof??? Oh and most importantly that'll let me play on here and the kids on disney channel.

Many thanks.
  • pdotie
    pdotie Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone using this to share to two pc's via a Router.

I have looked at the Vigor one mentioned earlier, but the £££ is a little high.

Has anyone used/seen this model router? - Billion Bipac 7402GX

I have taken out a Vodafone contract £15pm with £55 quidco - 18 months.

sure as hell beats the £28 BT were charging!

P
  • vertical_fool
    vertical_fool Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Update.

Uploading is AWFUL. I have failed repeatedly to upload photos going from 500KB down to 7.5KB. With four bars signal strength it hangs trying to upload until it times out. The immediate receiver to me is just a GSM one though, Three have a UMTS receiver even closer with less trees obstructing though so maybe I'll try a Three PAYG sim in my Orange broadband modem.

P.S. Any solutions most appreciated !

Regards

Itchy
  • Tamarin
    Tamarin Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I am writing to ask if you can help please

I have a laptap and will be travelling around GB for about 6 to 8 weeks in our mobile home

I would like to use my laptop but without having to park up looking for cafes, pubs etc

I have read that you can buy cards to put in your laptop, so that if you receive mobile reception you can use your laptop

I will be uisng the laptop for emails and just looking for the next place to stay - that sort of information. Will not be downloading or watching films

As you can gather ... not a computer whizzkid!!! so I would appreciate the most basic of information to get me started

Many thanks
    Tamarin
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get USB dongles from most Mobile shops that will give you internet access on the move.

What mobile do you have at the moment and who are you with?
    It may be possible to connect your mobile to your laptop and use it for internet access by adding a "Data" or "Internet" package to your current contract.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Tamarin
    Tamarin Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I am on T Mobile. I buy a top up card

Would this help me at all? As just for 6 weeks not keen on a contract

Thank you for helping

Tamarin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories