We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if it has been posted before or not, but thought I'll post this here incase it hasn't:)

National Express East coast trains offers free wifi on their trains:
    http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/Onboard-Our-Trains1/In-your-carriage/WiFi---Internet-Facilities/

• diabolikal
    diabolikal Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    cbartliff wrote: »
    This talk of USB dongles is unnecessary. For anyone with a cheap Bluetooth USB device (£6) or built in Bluetooth on their laptop and a 3G phone can set up to use the phone's built in Modem. I pay 3 £5 per month for unlimitted access to 3's 3G "mobile broadband". You just pair the computer and phone and set up a dial-up connection using dial up networking. For 3, the number is *98# and you need to set up the dialer to set the APN.
    I even got my Asus Eee mini laptop to connect to Three! This is all perfectly legal it's just that the phone companies don't seem to be pushing this as there's a big support issue in getting set up. Search Google for your service provider and APN or Modem Settings.

It works just fine, but it is against Three's Terms and Conditions (they were quick to tell me when I signed up!) and so they could easily add additional charges if you're detected doing it. Don't get me wrong, I do this as well, but it's probably best to keep your usage to a minimum!

Three offer addon's called "Broadband Lite" and "Broadband Plus" which are both for using your phone as a modem, but they are charged at the same rates as their dongle services. Their very well priced "Internet Max" or "Internet 10" add-on are for Internet on your phone only unfortunately!
  • alanjrobertson
    Options
    QQuaver wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know if it has been posted before or not, but thought I'll post this here incase it hasn't:)

National Express East coast trains offers free wifi on their trains:
    http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/Onboard-Our-Trains1/In-your-carriage/WiFi---Internet-Facilities/
    Agreed, although sadly whenever I've tried to use it I've found it incredibly (basically unusably) slow - no doubt due to the connection being shared between so many people. Found it better just to switch back to using my T-Mobile Web'n'walk connection via my mobile.
  • dealbeaker
    dealbeaker Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    1,3 and 7 Gb Mobile broadband.
    Can anyone inform me as to what this really means and how does it compare to a standard internet connection?
    Has anyone used it?
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    1,3 & 7 is your bandwidth allowance. Only difference is that you connect via a mobile phone.
  • dealbeaker
    Options
    how does this compare to say a standard broardband package that would be connected via landline?
  • Sully316
    Sully316 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I tried Orange's version and had problems from day 1 with it. There is no real difference compared to a standard broadband package via a landline, other than if your using it on a laptop, you just plug in the USB device and away you go, whereas a regular connection via a landline requires a filter and a router etc.
    The main thing is to check your coverage on the area you are in, as your download speeds/conection speeds vary on the area you live in.
  • dealbeaker
    Options
    what sort of problems did you have? was it to do with coverage.
    I am trying to get a feel as to how much I could use it without exceding my usage.
    And paying extra costs. I
  • poorandindenial
    poorandindenial Posts: 4,097 Forumite
    Options
    I have the Vodafone package connecting via a Huawei dongle thingy. Have had no real problems with connection and have never hit my useage limits. Takes a couple of goes sometimes but nothing major.

Had the Orange one for a day, wouldn't connect (software wouldn't work) and I realised their pricing was crazy so I sent it back - after characteristic poor orange customer service. Wasn't a coverage issue that prevented commection, it was a product issue as my mobile is orange.

Mind you I got mine a while ago when this was not very popular so packages are better and cheaper than mine now.

It is probably worth a google on it to see what consumer review websites make of the service and cost of each provider and package.
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Sully316
    Sully316 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem as Poor above where it wouldnt connect properly so I sent it back. When it did connect I wasnt receiving the download speeds it said I should be receiving in my area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport