We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• hellomoneyfromaus
    Options
    There are the USB broadband dongles as well from TM and 3 . The very nature of wireless internet makes it a little slower than 'wired' internet ,the internet 'language' as was not originally designed for wireless communication. Having said that they are getting better all the time.
  • NIC73_2
    NIC73_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I too am currently investigating this and Vodafone seems to be a popular choice. I just wondered if anyone knew any of the promo. codes or what the added benefit of having the promotional code would be?
    Many thanks:A
  • cruella_de_vile
    Options
    Apologies in advance for bumping a really old thread :o but this is something I have been thinking about lately and wondered if there had been any new technology to enable broadband without a phone line (I'm with Virgin Media at the moment and want to move away from them!)

Thanks and sorry again! :)
  • vertical_fool
    vertical_fool Posts: 440 Forumite
    Options
    Mobile broadband is the answer your looking for.

This is broadband (Well it's being called mobile broadband) basically through radio waves in the same way that a mobile phone operates. I think you can actually use a mobile phone (certain models) as your modem although It's usual to use a USB modem specifically for the task that takes its power from the usb socket hence constant charging not needed etc.

My mobile phone contract ends with Orange in 5 days. Out of curiosity when I wasw planning on going with Three rang up Orange to see if they could offer me anything interesting before I cancelled. The mobile phone deal wasn't good enough to beat new contracts with all the extras but they could do me the 3Gb mobile broadband for £5 a month although it would go onto my current mobile number, hence I would lose it.

Now my initial interest was with Three. I could get on a promotional price plan 1100 minutes or texts for £20 with a Nokia 6500 Slider. I would then be a Three customer so can then get the mobile broadband half price. So £7.50 a month for 3 Gb. Both 18 month contracts. Quidco could pay out over £100 on these two contracts. Also a free offer of Bluetooth headset of you get the code from customer services or know what it is already. This could work out less than £23 a month with a Nokia 6500 Slider with 1100 minutes/texts with a Bluetooth headset. And a USB modem with 3Gb data a month. Superb deal relly with no cashback claims to worry about.

Regards

Vertical
  • matt885
    matt885 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi.

I recently moved into a new house for the time being and im not sure how long im going to be staying there. It doesnt have a landline installed and I am also unwilling to pay £xx per month for something which I cannot cancel or take with me when I move (see: Virgin Media which I am still paying off).

I need a decent broadband connection which i can use for general surfing, downloading music and also gaming i.e online poker etc. I use it perhaps 3 or so hours per day, most days for these purpopes. Most of the time it is for poker with the occasional dowloading/surfing/email etc. Speed is important but not so much as reliability.

I was thinking the Vodafone 5gb for £25pm might be the best option but was unsure If there is a better option for me. Hopefully mobile broadband is suitable for this purpose as this looks the fastest provider. Any other suggstions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.
  • Buddhabellybutton
    Options
    My friend has just moved on to a boat house and wants to know the following questions.

(1) What mobile has the best modem?
    (2) What network is the cheapest?
    (3) Is it cheaper to use your mobile
    or a dongle as he has to have a mobile anyway?

Thank you,

Buddhabellybutton:confused:
    Peace Of Heaven
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    most of the companies offering mobile internet offer a 3GB monthly allowance for around £15,is that enough for,well i dont know tbh how much usage would 3GB be??
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    most of the companies offering mobile internet offer a 3GB monthly allowance for around £15,is that enough for,well i dont know tbh how much usage would 3GB be??

How much do you use, see here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Buddhabellybutton
    Options
    Still waiting for some kind person to reply:A

;) Thanks in advance.

Buddhabellybutton.
    Peace Of Heaven
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies in advance for bumping a really old thread :o but this is something I have been thinking about lately and wondered if there had been any new technology to enable broadband without a phone line (I'm with Virgin Media at the moment and want to move away from them!)

Thanks and sorry again! :)

I've popped your post into this thread as it discusses what you are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport