We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• carolwat
    carolwat Posts: 757 Forumite
    Options
    I want as contract where I pay 10 or 15 £ per month but want something that gives me good coverage.
  • Hippychick
    Hippychick Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    My OH has just gone for Vodafone via Quidco (£55.00 back) was a free modem for £15pcm with 3gb download limit.

He chose vodafone as they were the only company which had a clear pricing structure for usage abroad (£9.99 for 24 hours, which was so much better than paying £4 or so per mg download), they also have a coverage map on their website and it has pretty good coverage over the whole of the UK, it looks a bit patchy in Scotland and Welsh mountains though.

http://maps.vodafone.co.uk/coverageviewer/web/default.aspx

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • carolwat
    carolwat Posts: 757 Forumite
    Options
    Thats great hippychick. Thats the one I was looking at but forgot about quidco so that have made my mind up. When they say £9.99 for 24 hours abroad does this mean whatever you use in a 24 hour period or does it mean 24 hours total use say over a period of 2 weeks.
  • Hippychick
    Hippychick Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    carolwat wrote: »
    Thats great hippychick. Thats the one I was looking at but forgot about quidco so that have made my mind up. When they say £9.99 for 24 hours abroad does this mean whatever you use in a 24 hour period or does it mean 24 hours total use say over a period of 2 weeks.

£9.99 for a 24 hour period only.

http://www.abroad.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?do=cost.data&me=a1&nu=1&le=1&sn=s10 this lists the countries it services which is most of Europe, The US, Aus, NZ etc so pretty good really.

We spent a fortune in internet cafes last year!!!

CC debt at 8/7/13 - £12,186.17
    Barclaycard £11,027.58
    Halifax £1,158.59
    5 year plan to live unsecured debt free and move home
  • badger999_2
    Options
    Don't use t mobile if you don't want to pay by direct debit.
    The cheapest mobile broadband t mobile do is advertised as being £15,for now.It's £15 if you pay by direct debit but if you want to use a safe way to pay i.e. with a credit card they will charge you a 20% surcharge for using your credit card,so that's £18 a month.They will insist on doing a harmful-to-your-credit-rating credit check on you.When you receive your modem you will also see on the despatch note that you have been charged £6.99 for a sim card and £5.95 for delivery,so that's £30.94 for the first month on your credit card.You will also discover that after the first month t mobile will then refuse to take any more money from your credit card for subsequent months and demand that you pay by direct debit.Two points arise from this,one,there is no reason to do a credit check if they refuse to take money from your credit card and demand you pay by direct debit,two,your distance selling cooling off period has long since expired and you are now required to complete a 2 year contract paying by direct debit.
  • atticgirl2003
    Options
    I think I might change my ISP from namesco to Plusnet, £9.99 1gb free wireless router.
    Just a couple of questions, is the 1-port wireless router any good and does this mean I can only use my laptop in one room.
    Also do I cancel present ISP before I contact Plusnet.

Thank you for any help and advice.
  • Paddy_Charlie
    Options
    I'm wondering which is the best to go with. Both are £15 a month with a free dongle but 3 is a 12 month contract while Vodaphone is 24 months.

Which has the best service? I'm in Glasgow in the center so I'd think that coverage on bout would't be a problem but which would be quickest?

Cheers
  • sadiedoll
    sadiedoll Posts: 136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're not a Three mobile customer already, are you? If so, all broadband is half price at the moment.

Also, whether you are a customer or not, go through Quidco - I chose the 3gb tariff and will be getting £37.50 cashback.

https://www.quidco.com
  • cbartliff
    Options
    This talk of USB dongles is unnecessary. For anyone with a cheap Bluetooth USB device (£6) or built in Bluetooth on their laptop and a 3G phone can set up to use the phone's built in Modem. I pay 3 £5 per month for unlimitted access to 3's 3G "mobile broadband". You just pair the computer and phone and set up a dial-up connection using dial up networking. For 3, the number is *98# and you need to set up the dialer to set the APN.
    I even got my Asus Eee mini laptop to connect to Three! This is all perfectly legal it's just that the phone companies don't seem to be pushing this as there's a big support issue in getting set up. Search Google for your service provider and APN or Modem Settings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport