Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• emmalou_2
    emmalou_2 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I currently have a landline with BT @ £15ish a month & AOL @ 14.99 a month...

I never use my home phone, well okay, i may order a taxi off it every now and again but i can use my mobile for that!!

Do you agree that I would be better off going on mobile broadband?

I'm a bit worried about the capped limits or if the speed is gonna be real slow.. but i just seem to be throwing my money away to get my laptop online at home...

I'm online up to 50 hours per week, mostly on a forum/bulletin board, but occasionally games and i download up to a max of 5 songs a month...

So i'm paying £30.00 a month for pretty much that, i'm sure there must be a better offer out there for a non-phone using person like me...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
  • rash.m2k
    rash.m2k Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends, on 3 it is now £7.50 for 18 months for all customers via quidco, that gives you 3GB.

I suspect it should be more than enough, but don't expect the speeds to be enourmous, if you can get an antenna for the modem get one, it does make an enourmous difference.

The max speed I have seen mine goto is 80kb/s and about 0.8Mbps.

But I think if your usage is as you say it is should be no problem.

Oh how about getting something to monitor your usage for one month and see how much it is?
  • j-baby-scotland
    Options
    I've had a similar dilemma too... just moved. Low telephone user & debated losing phone & broadband. Opted to keep phone, needed at present.

I bought a '3' dongle... but not as cheap as here...

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=PEAK058

It's PAYG... I got mine from Carphone Warehouse for £49.99... then, a valid for one month, 3GB limit @ £15.
    For an idea: my usage at the minute is just over 26 hours (all in) & 265mb approx. usage.
    I browse a lot... papers, forums etc., & my 4 year old does download games for cars.
    I am pretty impressed with the speed etc., being used to broadband. Seem to get 3.6 mbps steadily.

Have to say the deal mentioned by rash.m2k through quidco sounds good, if you don't mind being tied in for 18 months. Gonna look into it myself... beats what I pay Orange!
    :D
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
  • Snugglepuss
    Options
    I'm looking into mobile broadband as I don't use my landline at all. The providers seem much of a muchness price-wise (about £15 a month) - but does anyone have any experiences / praise / horror stories about any of the providers in particular?

Thank you!
  • ianianian_2
    ianianian_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After months considering whether to pay for line installation in our rented place just to get the internet we have recently been told to get mobile broadband. The only problem is we’re not sure which company to go with?

¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We will only use the internet for job applications/ checking bank details etc as opposed to downloads.
    ¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I am on O2 and coming to the end of my contract (1.5 months left). I’m not sure this means I’ll get discount from O2 or it’ll be used against me when trying to come up with a new deal for my mobile contract?
    ¨[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]My girlfriend has a 3 contract but hardly gets a signal in our house and has heard terrible things about their mobile broadband so she just wants us to go with vodaphone.

Can anyone help us?

Thanks

Ian
  • sharkbait_2
    sharkbait_2 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone got the 3 dongle to access the internet? Was thinking about moving from Virgin to 3 but wanted to check how reliable it is and how speedy?
  • goosander
    goosander Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    I borrowed one to try it out and found it to be unacceptably slow when used at my house (approx 150-200 Kbits/sec) despite a good signal but it worked quite well when used at a friends house (1-2 Mbits/sec), so I think its down to luck as to how congested your cell is.
  • TimRogers
    TimRogers Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    What is the cheapest mobile broadband available?
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, this is what I signed up to a few weeks ago:
    Three's 1GB contract service with cashback from Quidco.
    £10/month
    18 month contract comes with £60 cashback on Quidco.
    Total £120 for 18 months = £6.67 per month, free modem

To get the best Quidco cashback with this particular deal, sign up via Carphone Warehouse and not Three themselves!

I think this is the cheapest option but do not touch if you're likely to go over 1GB each month - there are much much cheaper options.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure