PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• glitter03
    Options
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this?

I recently made cottage pie and froze the remainder of the mince/veg mix.

To eat this at a later date would i just defrost it and reheat in microwave?

Thanks in advance :)
    :coffee:
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    glitter03 wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this?

I recently made cottage pie and froze the remainder of the mince/veg mix.

To eat this at a later date would i just defrost it and reheat in microwave?

Thanks in advance :)

That's what I would do...but others may know better...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • glitter03
    Options
    Thankyou :D
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    I understand that if you cool a meal correctly and store it, you probably would be safe to leave it in the fridge for a few days and that way save having to defrost a meal. Now if I could find some of the links I have about such matters...if I can...I will...there is so much help on MSE and elsewhere I have learned so much...

Good luck Glitter...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother defrosting it personally, I'd zap it at full power until piping hot. Easypeasy 5-10 minute dinner (the more portions, the longer it takes to warm through) in the microwave. Depending on what it is, I might crisp it up for 5 minutes under the grill, e.g. the cheese on top of a cottage pie
  • glitter03
    Options
    Thankyou both! I didnt realise i could microwave it frozen, that is very handy for those days when time is limited!

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

yes, just zap it frozen, maybe couple minutes to start with, check, stir, check, stir, until you're happy with temp.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our freezing quick questions. Cooking for the freezer & homemade ready meals may also help

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Freezing Cauliflower I believe I have to parr boil the florets for 3 minutes in boiling water then drop into cold water before putting into the freezer but what about the green leaves can they be frozen ?
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I find green leaves like this don't really freeze well because of their high moisture content. However, it's a shame to waste them, and the cauliflower stalks. They will keep for a while in your salad tray and are ideal for chopping up and including in mixed vegetable soups. You could possibly try chopping the stalks up and freezing in a separate bag to throw in a soup mix to bulk it up, rather than wasting them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure