PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,904 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I know someone will be able to help me... can I freeze radishes? I bought them as reduced seedlings at the end of the season and they've grown into beasts (I imagine some have gone woody - I'm a novice gardener and don't eat them, they're for my DH). I'd like the pot back that I've grown them in...

What's the best way to do this, or should I be making radish soup (sounds disgusting!)?

TIA
    Vicky
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• cardiogirl
    Options
    I've taken far too much fish out of the freezer that I was planning on using for fish pie, so some will need to be re-frozen once cooked. Would any of you lovely experts recommend that I make up the fish pies (potato topping) completely or cook the fish & bag up in portions sizes or cook fish, add white sauce & then freeze? I really can't decide which way may be best as haven't frozen much containing a white sauce. Many thanks.
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd make up the whole fish pies, means you don't have to faff about making mash the next time :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi going to do some bulk cooking for the freezer, I know about the foil dishes, but can you freeze cottage pies etc in glass dishes, thankyou:)
  • thriftyniftyme
    Options
    You can, so long as the glass is freezer safe... but then you've lost that glass dish until you eat that food, so you'll quickly run out!

You can line the glass dish with foil, freeze it, then take it out of the glass so you don't lose the dish to the freezer for too long. When you take it out, you put it straight back into the glass dish you originally used to defrost then cook.

If I'm completely honest, I prefer to bulk-buy foil dishes because it's a bit of a faff!
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    You could if they are Pyrex, but it's not a great idea, unless you are planning to defrost them in the fridge before trying to cook them. Otherwise the heat stress to the glass could cause a crack, and maybe glass to go into the food.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

I sometimes freeze cottage pie or lasange in a glass pyrex dish but you are without the dish for other things then OK if you have lots of dishes and wont miss the one in the freezer.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for your quick responses I thought it would just save money on the foil dishes, thanks for your advice.
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I mostly use plastic pots-got a load of those lock and seal boxes on offer a few years ago, but also use old ice cream tubs washed out and some old recycled take away plastic tubs-don't get takeaways often, but am partial to a chinese on a special occasion lol.

You can get friends and family to also save their pots for you-or ask we got given a few freezer tubs from parents as most people accumulate them over the years or even try freecycle.

I find that if you freeze stuff in something like a pyrex dish you can then take it out and using a pallet knife can scrape around the side and pop the food out in a frozen lump which can then go in a freezer bag. This works best with things like lasagne and cottage pie that freeze in one big lump lol.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills