PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was just trying to do that very thing. Thanks, squeaky!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was just trying to do that very thing. Thanks, squeaky!

You're just wa-a-ay too slow :):p
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok... after reading about it on here in various posts... and people saying how economical it is for bulking out meals etc... and you cant tell the diff in taste etc..

i want to try it....

my friend bought some yesturday in morrisions as it was on offer and said she made 11 portions of shepards pie out of it....

so i dont want to by the quorn, as i think that might be expensive compared to the others...so where is the best cheapest place to buy it at mo..

and when i buy it whats tis the idiots guide to using it ? plus can i use half and half with real mince beef etc...

thanks....

oh and where do i find it in the supermarkets etc...:confused:
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used the flavoured one from Holland and Barrett, much nicer than others I have tried. Usually half and half with real mince.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    I used the flavoured one from Holland and Barrett, much nicer than others I have tried. Usually half and half with real mince.

thanks.. how much is it for what size bag ?
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks.. how much is it for what size bag ?
    About a quid and the bags are about the size of a small bag of pasta. I buy several at a time when I go (because I hate going into town), empty them all into a container and can't remember exactly :o sorry.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use the unflavoured stuff from sainsburys , use marmite to give it a "meaty" look/taste

about 59p a bag last time i got some
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    I buy unflavoured Fudco dried soya mince from the world food section in Tesco. It comes in an 800g bag - I can't remember the exact price, but it's much cheaper than smaller packs and lasts for ages! Flavour it with herbs, marmite or vecon, and maybe add a bit of veggie worcester sauce too.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • chmmy
    chmmy Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find it works best in something with a heavy sauce like spag bol or chilli, but don't expect it to taste like mince in something like shepherds pie or meatloaf!
    Might be best as half and half with mince if you're not used to it.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I'll stick with my Beanfeast. It's veggie, and a halfway house between real mince and plain soya mince. With a glug of soy sauce and/or a teaspoon of marmite, it really is very close to the real thing. The bolognese style one is best. It is (or was when I last bought it) 73p in most major supermarkets, and although the pack says Serves 2, a tin of tomatoes added easily makes it into enough for four as a pasta sauce.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport