PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Options

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey that's a great idea, think it will be ok if I did that? can't taste any worse than it does now? :T
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    soya mince is pretty disgusting isn't it? however, hold off on giving it to the dog!!!

soya mince in my view has two main problems: taste and texture. for taste, at this point, you might try stirring in a spoonful of marmite or bovril. that'll help to give the meaty taste. i would also add another oxo cube. If you want to use it again, the way i use it is to put the soya mince into a jug with some boullion (marigold's, you can find it on the same shelf as oxo cubes in the supermarket, its a stock powder), some mixed herbs, marmite and lots of pepper, and enough boiling water to make the mince wet - not swimming in it, just wet, as opposed to bone dry. i then use as i would mince, at the same point and in the same way.

For the texture: nothing will rescue the sloppy texture of it, i think the key if you want to cook with it is to provide plenty of *other* things to give the texture, like vegetables or even lentils, small green lentils hold their shape pretty well, just tip into boiling water and boil for 10 minutes (and drain) before using as you'd use mince. in terms of veg, try adding more onions, peppers, courgettes and aubergines, carrots is another possibility. you could add olives too if you like those. all those will help to give more texture to the dish.

good luck!!

keth
    xx

p.s. just saw the points about adding beef mince. thought you were vegetarian which is why i didn't suggest this! i usually use soya mince as described above as an addition to beef mince (along with green lentils) to bulk out the beef, so it would certainly work. however, i would brown the mince first, i'd also saute any extra veg you add before adding them to the pot. xx
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    Ah so many thanks! :T
    I wish I'd asked you guys before I cooked it what I should do with it :o
  • Greatgimp
    Greatgimp Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, can't come for lunch, I've got to ....... comb the dog!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Ah so many thanks! :T
    I wish I'd asked you guys before I cooked it what I should do with it :o

Wouldn't have been very money saving. I'd have just said bin it. :o

The texture to me is like lumps of chewed up cardboard :eek: and reminds me of the meals I've shared with my vegetarian friend. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mags_cat
    Mags_cat Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't used the dried stuff, but one thing i have found with the frozen soya mince (Quorn or other similar brands) is that it doesn't like to be cooked for too long.

So I don't treat it like *proper* mince - if I'm making chilli or spag bol I will make up the sauce with onions, veggies, beans, spices etc. and then cook it until almost ready and only add the frozen veggie mince about 20 minutes before the end. That way it doesn't cook for too long and keeps a bit of texture.

Not sure if that helps - but I hope you can rescue your panful :)
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    Thanks Mags_cat xx
  • aurorahelios
    Options
    I just use it as a bulk to real mince as well, so far DH hasn't noticed its in there amongst the mince, oats and lentils. He knows about the other stuff because he caught me putting them in one day.

It's used this way in cheap ready meals too, I wonder how many people who say they would never eat this stuff are happily consuming it in their tv dinners.
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    You have to soak soya mince in something flavoured before you use it - eg stock, tomato juice etc...still horrible texture no matter what you do though :)
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Definitely brown some meat mince and add some of the soya mix to some of it. Taste again, but don't put good money after bad if it tastes awful!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport