Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Aark wrote:
    Which brings me back to the article which suggests people should take a "new customer" quote from their existing "renewal" insurer. Can someone confirm if this is correct and legal?

I phoned my existing provider (Direct Line) to see if they could beat the quote I got from Budget using Martin's tips. The guy I spoke to said he couldn't beat it but if I tried as a new customer on the Direct Line website that I would get a 10% discount which he couldn't give me over the phone.

So I guess it is legal if they told me that themselves.

(Though when I tried it it wasn't any cheaper!)

Have gone with Budget and saved myself 50 quid on my renewal quote. Thanks Martin.

Just one point on the whole process. I didn't find anywhere on insuresupermarket.com that let me say my wife was on a provisional licence. Needless to say I couldn't get the generous quotes they offered when I went to the sites in question!

Jim
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bltchef wrote:
    hi i have just baught a skoda occtavia 1595cc iwoyld appreciate if any body could tell me which insurace broker that is going to cost me the cheapest many thanks

Um. Have you tried reading the article? And filling out the forms on the websites suggested? And then going with the cheapest of them?

I think the point is that it depends on your circumstances.

Jim
  • kevmaxthom_2
    Options
    bltchef wrote:
    hi i have just baught a skoda occtavia 1595cc iwoyld appreciate if any body could tell me which insurace broker that is going to cost me the cheapest many thanks

Hi
    Try signing up to QUIDCO and give Prudential a go. They are currently giving £100 cashback through quidco.I renewed my peugeot for £162.57(less £100 cashback) means £62.57 for the year.Bargain.
    Kev
    Regards

Mark
  • micktsb
    micktsb Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    HAPPY DAYS!!!! thanks for this advice martin,i got my insurance quote for a 7 seater hyundai down from £230 fully comp (which i thought was quite good)to a stunning £152!!!
  • ChuckleVision_2
    Options
    I just did a confused.com inquiry and it is £60 cheaper using my same insurer through Confused than me going direct!

Mine was just over £100 difference for the same company, using the same details! Just shows how much they try and stiff you!

Anyway, I got my insurance down to just £175 for fully comp protected no claims (even though I have a claim outstanding!). The lowest on confused was £250 (budget), but I used Screentrade instead, through quidco (which was tracked successfully) and got £120 cashback off the £294.54 policy.

Saved me about £70 :)
  • dodo
    dodo Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my car renewal is due in 2 weeks and just had my notice from current insurer ( Saga ), they wanted £221 for fully comp. even with 60% no-claim, no claims or convictions for 5 years+ , one named driver (me) and no commuting.

Read the article and thought I would try "confused" It worked very well with abit of patience, giving me a cheapest quote of £143!

Then I noticed the Post Office cashback offer of £50 on a quote of £168 with less excess than Saga offered.

The Post Office site nearly drove me mad:mad: but eventually I managed to complete the form and submitted it. Two days later I had my confirmation papers and could cancel Saga's renewal, they were miffed but couldn't touch the new premium after cashback.

The only snag seems to be I had to pay the full £168 and am waiting for my £50 to arrive. Hope it does because I think a saving of £103 is great (nearly 50%!!!)

Thanks to all for the advice and giving me the nerve to try:T
    Life in the old dog yet? :confused: :hello:
    (I used to look like this, but it was a long time ago!)
  • edwinab
    edwinab Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Is this necessary or just a rort to get more money out of you? I have my renewal notice here & there is 20 something pounds extra quoted for this, and I wondered if I needed it or not?

Cheers
  • rosenowlan
    Options
    Followed your guide and just saved about 50% on my insurance - my existing insurers didnt charge extra for business use which I no longer needed so I was amazed to save over £200 just by reduction in mileage and a slight increase in exess - :beer: my now previous insurers couldnt or wouldnt match it and all just via a simple form filling exercise and confused.com -So many thanks for this and the bargain rail fare to Cambridge and the cheap flights to Spain cant wait for the next new savers !
  • albundie
    Options
    Gemmzie wrote:
    Martin's email stated that £80 was the best cashback deal

However, I got a cheaper quote through Prudential and via Quidco, got £100 cashback

Making my insurance £314 :money: Not bad for a 19 year old female with 2 years NCB :)

After trying Insuresupermarket and comparethemarket, the Pru car insurance quote was the best.

So two things:

Firstly...
    The Pru website cannot be 'scraped' by robots as it has one those 'Security 6-digit code' images where only human entry can proceed.

Secondly...
    Quidco have a note for the Pru cashback stating 'Although the vast majority of transactions are tracked successfully, the network currently responsible for this merchant has decided to only pay 50% for any successful enquiries on missing transactions. We have expressed our dissatisfaction to the network and are doing everything we can to improve this situation.'

So that's £50 cashback (well £45 (one of £5 a year admin fee out of your cashback)), but the Pru car insurance quote beat my 'Swiftcover' renewal by £30!

Thanks Gemmzie for the tip.

---
    Albundie
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Swiftcover was £150 MORE when I just put in my details!!
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport