Cut Your Car Insurance In 4 Steps Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Richard146
    Options
    The best site I have found for comparing car insurance prices is https://www.insurewith.com. It take the minimum of information and directs you to the 3 most competitive insurers. They say they monitor 60,000 prices every month. I saved about £80 this year and my son aged 19 (and just past his test) found insurance for just under £1,000.
  • redneck
    Options
    Couldnt even find my car with insurewith ?
    And boy was I confused with confused, Elephant, Direct Line and Tesco opted out < why ?
    More Th>n came up as the cheapest on Confused, however with the massive excess, I'm sticking with First Alternative, who are not even IN confused's list.

I Smith try them ? "owners of high performance executive vehicles and 4x4s" I started to use them because they are low mileage lady driver friendly.
    http://www.firstalternative.com/s_story.htm and obviously for a quote, goto the quote page !!!!
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    All I can say Martin is thank you!! I've managed to get nearly £200 knocked off my quote and that's with reducing my voluntary excess as well!! Dead chuffed! Plus, the £50 cash back from the Post Office will come in very handy. :money:
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • Forestlands_2
    Options
    I feel riped off by N.F.U. Mutual who will not give a discount on the Foxguard F - 11T security system installation on my Land Rover Discovery. Sent them the certificate of installation, was told it was not on their approved list.

Will go on to step 2 soon but need to find out about security and immobilisers. Are many insurance companies giving discount on motors fitted with security systems/immobilisers. Which makes are the best to buy in order to get approval from insurance companies? Still finding my way around the forum - thanks for your patience!

Thanks to you all, and Martin, for the great tips!! Cheers
  • ardnas
    Options
    I just wanted to let other AA customers know the following.

I have been insured by the AA for the past 7 years and have always found them to be the best quoes. I went to renew my insurance online today and couldn't do it. I entered all my details as a new customer and then rang them. When I asked for my renewal price they told me it was £369. I said what I had done and that the new customer price quoted was £186. They explained that new customers get a 20-40% discount at the moment. I did the mobile phone contract trick Martin has suggested and guess what? I now have new car insurance at £186.

Thanks Martin for saving me a huge £200!!
  • oldandhappy
    Options
    Having a hard time trying to Insure using Quidco(not used it as yet ever) for 1976 MGB Roadster....I have had quotes on insuresupermaket.com that where reasonable but looking to save as much as I can and the companys I have tried so far through Quidco just tell me I have to do it via Phone...... Insurance is Due on the 29th Sept. ...Thanks
  • angus1
    angus1 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Although I missed out on the Quidco deal I'm still really pleased with my saving on car insurance. I've been with Direct Line for years and they've always been quite reasonable but I thought I'd have a go at cutting the cost. I'd already decided to do away with the protect your no claims bonus thing which saved £50 pa and then I tried Prudential and their quote saved me another £30 pa which didn't seem much but still worth doing. But then I remembered a tip I'd seen on here and reduced my estimated mileage from 20,000 to 19,000 which saved another £40 pa so my monthly premium goes down from £34 a month to £24 a month - really chuffed. :j
    (Angus is my dog, not me ...) ;)
  • Cinders2001
    Options
    I just did a confused.com inquiry and it is £60 cheaper using my same insurer through Confused than me going direct!
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • ukpotters
    Options
    Just got my Mother a quote with the post office. And for limited time they are offering £50 cash back. T&C apply but still a great offer.
  • ravenlighte
    Options
    On the subject of saving money on car insurance...my renewal is coming up so have just completed the moneysupermarket.com step and was offered the option to take out insurance costing £29.99 to cover my excess up to £500.

Meaning that when getting a quote I could opt for an excess of £500, which would then be covered by this insurance in the event of having to pay the excess...thus reducing my annual premium ( + the £29.99 of course)

Has anyone heard of this before? Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure