PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2014 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Fay:

Got it! You are knitting top down ... towards the wrist.

I can't help you a lot - I've never knitted top down mitts and I knit them on 4 needles! Sorry. :(

Nevertheless, (if your seam is going to be down the outside of the mitt,) your thumb gusset is knitted on separate sts, in between the patterned bits. Although, it is possible that the seam goes down the thumb side, which would mean that the gusset would be at the beginning (or end) of the rows.

When it says 'turn', this means you will knit part way across a row then 'turn' and work on the other side, back the way you've just come. ;)

You could look at 'top down' mittens on Ravelry, maybe you will get clearer instructions in the free patterns. You could also ask for more advice in the forums there.

I will continue working cuff up! :o
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Sorry I have never knitted top down either. I just worked it out yesterday I have been knitting my own pattern of mittens for 35 years I have made thousands as I also do them for charity.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok looking at what I've knitted I think I've got it wrong as I have a ribbed section on the plain half of my knitting, which presumably is the cuff. So knitting cuff down. It seems to be working so far but I haven't got to the dividing for thumb yet, I was too busy gardening! I have competing hobbies lol
  • Fay
    Options
    Oh gosh ladies, I've done it...with your help I have what looks like a thumb in my knitting! I will post a pic tomorrow. Better make dinner now lol thank you all so much :)
  • Fay
    Options
    imagejpg1_zpse9d59a26.jpg
    There we are, an almost thumb! Thank you all so much for your help. I'm now going to frog it because I dropped a stitch and didn't notice and it's run! But I wasn't happy with the finish anyway and hopefully it will be better now I understand the pattern, thank you again :T
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    shame about the dropped stitch fay, but glad youve mastered the pattern and the thumb technique.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • downshifted
    Options
    Just a line to say that at the ripe old age of 59 I've just taken up knitting! So far I've made a Teddy from the book by Val Pierce (20 to Make - knitted Bears) and I've started a penguin which was a kit on the front of a knitting magazine. I've started on small things because I don't have a lot of sticking power at big projects - I get bored.

I'm finding the knitting ok, but am getting help with the sewing up as I'm not neat enough.

I do enjoy reading this thread - I may have mitten envy but that will probably have to wait for next winter!!!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Yes pity about the dropped stitch you will have to learn how to pick them up again with a crochet hook when you have had more experience good luck with finishing it.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Welcome downshifted nice to see you. I think maybe this thread needs getting going again.

Most of us don't like sewing things up. I have 4 things waiting to be sewed up. I stopped to start knitting Christmas gifts as most of them need to be in the post by the beginning of December it's not too far away. So far I have made 3 scarves 3 hats and 3 pairs of mittens for my grandchildren.

There are lots of videos on You Tube to help you and this site also does a lot to help you with your knitting. http://www.knittinghelp.com
  • Fay
    Options
    I want to make my husband a pair of fingerless gloves or wrist warmers but most the patterns I can find on ravelry are knitted in the round, how easy/hard is this? And could this be a solution to your dislike of sewing things up downshifted?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback