PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    hi nursemaggie and psso.
    im usually on the knit a square thread but like to pop in here and see what others are knitting.
    im working on a hat for the school harvest festival at the mo - it needs to represent pollen so im currently knitting yellow balls to sew onto it (once ive knitted the hat that is LOL getting in front of myself knitting the embellishments first)
    i also have on the needles a scarf and cardi for myself and some little yellow ducks for a charity.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to knitting and I'm really struggling to understand a pattern. Before I go into detail, is it ok to post it and ask for some help? It's for wrist warmers and I've spent ages looking on the net but just can't figure it out!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    welcome fay,
    dont post the whole pattern or you could get in trouble with copyright. post the bit you are stuck on with an explanation of what you think is wrong and someone will try and help.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Fay
    Options
    Thanks mrs money penny. It's fingerless gloves I'm knitting and I'm close to the thumb. There are a few bits I just can't understand. At present I have 51 stitches on my needles and the next part of my pattern gives me a description for all of the odd rows which makes me increase the pattern up to 63 stitches in the end-that's ok.
    Problem 1) it gives me some stitches, then some increases and says knit as per patter for 31 stitches-but which part of the pattern would that be, as the pattern is 51 stitches. Would this be the start of the pattern (which is 6 rows) for each of the even rows which could mean that if I follow the pattern on one row for example I knit 19 stitches, make one, knit 3, make one-the knit per patt for 31; but the pattern on that row says knit 22 (p1, k8) 3 times. So I would only get 22 knits then one of the purl/knit patterns. I'm so confused lol
    2) for the even rows it says knit as per patt-which I get, but my pattern only has 51 stitches to it. But the rows have 55, 57, 59, 61 and 62 stitches. So not sure what I do?
    3) then the dreaded thumb-just says divide for thumb. From looking on the net would this mean I put half my stitches onto a stitch holder?
    4) then says knit 32, cast one 1, turn-again not sure what turn means
    5) then says next row purl 14, cast on 1, turn....but if have 33 stitches on my needle don't I? Or am I totally and utterly lost and should I just buy gloves lol
    I get the next part-with these 15 stitches (once I figure out how to get them) work 3 rows and cast off knit ways. I can do that :)

6) then says rejoin yarn and pick up and knit from 1st from base of thumb, patt to end of row 51 stitches-utterly lost how I've got 51 stitches again now!

I have tried hard to figure it all out and I'm sorry if it's really basic and I'm missing it :( any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    i think it means that you follow the pattern you already have built up so that it continues and looks the same even with the extra stitches. so you would be sort of widening the pattern out so that it looks the same all the way up
    re the dividing for the thumb i understand that part but it whether i can explain it properly. you dont need a stitch holder.
    knit the first 32 stitches then cast on one, turn the work so that you are then working a purl row on just the 33 stitches you have just done.
    on the purl row you purl 14 of those stitches cast on one and turn again so you are sort of starting a knit row in the middle of your row of knitting.
    what i think it is trying to do is create a hole in the side where your thumb will come through.

ive just read that back and it makes no sense so im hoping you can understand what im saying, hopefully someone else will be along soon to clarify it for you and help explain it better.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    Fay:

It helps if you can understand the usual construction of arm-warmers or gloves.

I don't know whether you are knitting on DPNs or 2 needles, but the structure is this:

You have knitted the cuff? After the cuff, at the base of the thumb, you start to knit a gusset. (The circumference of the glove is wider around the thumb base than the hand.) So, you are going to knit a V-shape of increases for the thumb (a gusset) - thus, inreasing the stitches to 63. (Often this is in stocking stitch.)

When you get to 63 sts, that is where the thumb and forefinger divide. From there, you will place the thumb sts on a waste yarn until later. You then continue knitting the rest of the hand on the patterned 51 sts, to the Bind Off. (You may be instructed to Cast On 1 or 2 sts, across the gusset space on the first row after putting the gusset sts on holding yarn, to give you the original 51 sts.)

Having Bound Off the hand you will rejoin the yarn to the thumb gusset and follow the instructions for that.

Does this help you? If not, come back here again.

It will help us, if you tell us, if you knitting on 2 pins or in the round, on 4/5 needles. Also, if the pattern is online, tell us its name, so we can take a look. :)
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • Fay
    Options
    Hi both, thanks so much. It's becoming clearer but still not 100% what to do. So I'm knitting on two needles. I've started at the bottom of the glove I.e the but that sits over the fingers-they're actually like wrist warmers so no fingers, only a thumb.
    So for I've done 11 rows with 55sts on 3.25mm needles, then swapped to 4mm, decreased to 51 stitches and done 8 rows.
    So what mrs money penny says about keeping the pattern does make sense to me, I think!
    I also think I know what you mean about the 32 stitches and turning too. I think I just need to try it and see...maybe?
    The pattern isn't online, it's a James Brett one. Choice of two sets and I picked the prettier one, maybe I shouldn't have. But I like a challenge-my second project was a cable baby blanket!
    Thanks for all the help. Any more tips now you know a bit more?
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Hi Fay

I wish I could show you my kitting because I am knitting mittens at the moment so the follow the same sort of patten.

As far a the pattern on the gloves is concerned it should say keeping continuity of the pattern. I hope you understand that. As iQueen says you are making a gusset for the widening of your hand at the base of the thumb. This gusset should jut be in stocking stitch and your pattern should continue. Where you start to increase for the gusset it ought to have said pattern the amount of stitches. Then cast one on. I always make one by picking up the loop between the stitches and knitting into the back of the st.

When it comes to dividing for the thumb you are just separating out the thumb gusset and working it on its own, there is no need to take any stitches off the needle it just feels odd at first but it is possible to kit a whole thumb and not just the hole you will need.

If you Google divide for thumb you will probably get some videos showing you this. It is much easier to see what we mean than us try to describe it.

If you have any more problems come back and we will try again.

Welcome to the knitters thread. I think there must be a lot on holiday.
  • dibuzz
    dibuzz Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Apart from looking at videos the best way is to just try it. Sometimes it all becomes clear as you go along.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
  • Fay
    Options
    I have looked at videos and typically there are stitch markers or stitch holders being used. Which is why this pattern confuses me I think-although it doesn't take much at all!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure