PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I am another who hates sewing up and knit practically everything in the round!
    Have never tried dpns but I love my circulars and when I occasionally have to knit flat I still use circulars as they fold up nice and fit in my hand bag! I favour magic loop though so I don't have to worry to much about cable lengths. Have just discovered the addictions that is sock knitting:rotfl:
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of how to search on ravelry. I have found one but I do not know what to do. I am a member but I have only looked at stuff so far.

Asking for toddlers sweaters in DK got me no where, all for girls or very patterned so still the same maths. I have never seen 8 to 10 year old toddlers have you. I thought I had found one but when I looked in detail it was for chunky.

I tried just DK Sweaters. I thought I had found one stated at age 2 I need 18 months to 2 years and of course they included hats scarves mittens and everything else you can think of. Since when was a cardigan a sweater?It is no good having age 2 to 3 it will not fit him until the following Christmas. I do find things are usually a bit big anyway in small children's sizes.
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    It can be a bit hit or miss searching on ravelry. I think because we think of sweaters as jumpers, whereas American sweater patterns can be jumpers or cardigans. Vests are another one. Sleeveless tops/ tank tops here.

Not sure what you mean by you don't know what to do ? Have you found a pattern you like ?

I personally like doing the Presto Chango pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/presto-chango

Yes, I know it's more like a cardigan with the buttons, but I find it easier to put on / take off than struggling to get one over a little ones head.
    I did one for a little boy in blue.The front panel was done in moss stitch, rather than the original pattern. Also did it in cream yarn with coloured flecks through it and had different coloured buttons all the way up.

Another website you can browse is

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/toddlers_clothing.php
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I love knitting in the round on DPNs. I recommend Bryspun 5 inch plastic as they are good for gripping the yarn. I'm more a dpn fan than a circular fan so far.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2014 at 9:28AM
    Options
    I knit top down raglan jumpers on circular needles for all three of my grandsons and this is my favourite pattern

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basic-seamless-raglan-pullover

However I have just read the update and see the pattern has been taken off. Contact me if you want to know how to get a copy.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • Apollonia
    Apollonia Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 September 2014 at 11:40AM
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion of how to search on ravelry. I have found one but I do not know what to do. I am a member but I have only looked at stuff so far.

Asking for toddlers sweaters in DK got me no where, all for girls or very patterned so still the same maths. I have never seen 8 to 10 year old toddlers have you. I thought I had found one but when I looked in detail it was for chunky.

I tried just DK Sweaters. I thought I had found one stated at age 2 I need 18 months to 2 years and of course they included hats scarves mittens and everything else you can think of. Since when was a cardigan a sweater?It is no good having age 2 to 3 it will not fit him until the following Christmas. I do find things are usually a bit big anyway in small children's sizes.

You need to use more filters in the search terms. I filtered for 'Knitting', 'DK', 'Pullover', 'Toddler' (that's ages 1-3), 'Male' and got 298 matches.

Link to search results:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&weight=dk&fit=toddler%2Bmale&pc=pullover&sort=name&craft=knitting

15 of those are free patterns - click the filter for free ( under the 'availabilty' tab) if that's what you want. HTH

ETA: oops! I forgot to filter for language - clicking for patterns in English changes the totals to 269 matches, 12 free.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thank you psso I think that one is too girly. I don't think my daughter would like that. I am looking for a plain one because I have three shades of light blue. They add up to 150gms. I think that will be enough for him as the hoodies I knit for him took just under that and of course the hood takes quite a bit of yarn. I do want one that either opens on the shoulder or down the back to make it easier to get on. He does not like getting dressed and undressed anyway.

Thank you cuddles that is lovely unfortunately it is chunky. Nice size range though.

The one I found was a Vneck with a collar. It did not say if it was free or not. It was a Sirdar pattern. I think it could be a 50s pattern as I seem to remember knitting it for my brother when I was about 8.

I could not find anything to click on to find out if it was free or to pay for. Others I noticed did have somewhere to download things. I have looked on knitted pattern central They did not have much for children.

I want to look at the pattern. If I was buying it in a shop I would look inside at the tension and the stitches and everything.

Aren't the expensive on line. £2.95 to around £5 with delivery on top I could buy him a sweater cheaper. Not that I want to do that I want to use up this yarn.

So what do I do to get a look at the pattern?
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Was it on ravelry, can you show us the link.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just finished knitting a cardi in aran yarn and totally forgot to add the inset pockets, now how daft was that!:o (as I had nearly finished I wasn't about to unravel it all either!)
    Pictures here http://www.highlandsockies.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/chunky-cardi-buttons-and-brooch.html

Still not worked out how to put photos up here after photoshop changed their layout a year or so ago!
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you cuddles that is lovely unfortunately it is chunky. Nice size range though.

I knit this in DK all the time

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/learning2me/basic-seamless-raglan-pullover-3
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport