PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i would really like to knit this cardigan, it looks like a nice simple pattern that i can pick up and put down when wanting something simple but am not sure about the wool. i cant afford to use the wool stated but i do have a really basic dk wool from a pound shop that i have about 800g of black or i have a huge stash of chenille wool also purchased from a pound shop. could i use either of these wools?

http://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/plus-size-jacket-knitting-pattern/v1
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    homealone, you need to knit a tension square with the wool you are thinking of using. Make sure you knit it in moss stitch as this will affect the guage. The pattern states you need 20 sts and 32 rows in moss stitch in a 10cm square, so if your sample is bigger than 10cms try again on smaller needles, if it's smaller try bigger ones. It's really just trial and error until you get just the right size.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Anyone in the North East may be interested in this

http://www.metroradioarena.co.uk/eve...2fdefault.aspx
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    From Thursday, 24th March Aldi will be stocking some cheap, colourful and cheerful acrylic yarn.

Double knitting - 500g for £4.99
    Aran - 400gs for £4.99
    Baby 250g for £2.99

Two different Scarf Kits at £2.99 each.

Here's the link

I'm seriously into knitting :o and before I start a project in (expensive) wools I get some of these big balls from Lidl or Aldi. I test my design, make notes and refine the pattern. Sometimes the wearer wants to keep the proto-type, but more often than not, I'll give it away to a charity for the Homeless.

I'll be working on a 'Worst Possible Taste' Christmas Jumper for a man. :D It will involve embroidery, duplicate stitch and intasaria and because he will be entering a competition it's got to be right. Thank goodness for Lidl and Aldi, eh? :j

Look out for a homeless man or woman, next Christmas, wearing a jumper with santa on the front, a nativity scene on the back and various meerkats, daleks and Shaun the Sheep on the yoke and sleeves. :o
  • PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kay_Peel wrote: »
    Look out for a homeless man or woman, next Christmas, wearing a jumper with santa on the front, a nativity scene on the back and various meerkats, daleks and Shaun the Sheep on the yoke and sleeves. :o

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    KayPeel

Very sadly, I know a couple of men who would probably love that jumper!

Can't wait for the picture :rotfl:

NJ
  • homealone_2
    :j:j:j:j am very happy today, have added to my stash :o naughty i know but have also found some friends to go out and play with. i was passing a sex shop and then a book shop, not surprising as i was in kings cross, but then fell over a small blackboard that read come join in our knitting and cocktail evenings. well it was this lovely olde worlde shop all laid out inside with gingham and jars of sweets from yesteryear. it was as though someone had been passing over head and dropped it by accident. well they had my attention with the knitting and cocktails but then at the bottom of the sign it read come look through our bargain box of wool. well that was that then i shot in the shop like a 5 yr old let loose in a sweet shop but this sold more than wool and sweeties but all sorts of house knik knacks then up about 10 steps at the back of the shop you find this lovely little cafe, i did nt get to look upstairs as i spent so long gathering my odd balls of wool just what i needed as am making 2 blankets that are supposed to use up all my odd balls of wool but dont think i will have enough to finish one for definite as my ds1 has decided he only wants shades of blue. so have some more for that. most of the wool was in bags of 3 or sometimes 4 balls of wool for a pound. i have seen adverts for little knitting circles now it has become a trendy thing in outer london but never this central to me. cant wait for next tuesday when it is held to see how it is. i dont get out much as my mobility has worsened the last 6 months and this would be a perfect place to meet new people and even get some help maybe when stuck and all with a cocktail, it cant be bad. i will report back as to how it goes, but must walk past the cabinet displaying the wool with my eyes closed as with this last find i now find myself with 5 projects all on the go
  • homealone_2
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    homealone, you need to knit a tension square with the wool you are thinking of using. Make sure you knit it in moss stitch as this will affect the guage. The pattern states you need 20 sts and 32 rows in moss stitch in a 10cm square, so if your sample is bigger than 10cms try again on smaller needles, if it's smaller try bigger ones. It's really just trial and error until you get just the right size.

thanks, thats what i will do. i must admit have never done a test square, always too keen to get on and start it but can see that this being already a big cardigan if i get it wrong will fit the whole family in, thanks again will keep you posted
  • berrybug
    berrybug Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    homealone This knitting group sounds like a great idea wish there was something like that near me you enjoy the time spent there cant wait to read your posts telling us how you got on .
    I pray for patience as strength might just get me in trouble !!!!
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Wow - the group and the yarn bargains sound great.
    Hope you enjoy it Homealone.

Just finished my first adult sized slouch hat on circular needles.

th_100_7102.jpg
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport