PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cuddles123 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used an alternative to Sirdar Big Softie?

Thinking of knitting something for my daughter, but the yarn will cost £30 :eek:

I'm also looking for a cheap chunky wool if anyone can recommend anything.

I have used this yarn
    to make my crochet hat here:
    PIC_8816_medium.JPG (showing a close up so you can see yarn).
    Looking at the Big Softie specifications compared to the Magnum specifications it might be an option, or one of the other King Cole yarns. I got the Magnum from e-bay, obviously you would not use that colour though for a boy ;).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone ever used an alternative to Sirdar Big Softie?

Thinking of knitting something for my daughter, but the yarn will cost £30 :eek:

I'm also looking for a cheap chunky wool if anyone can recommend anything.

Kemps have big softie for £2.19 a ball but if you go for the marshmallow colour it`s only 69pence !!!!!
    http://www.kempswoolshop.com/search.aspx

Chunky wool here too at fairly reasonable prices
    http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/Seriously_Chunky_by_Cygnet.html

By the way, Aldi has wool on special from 24th March, if anyone needs to top up their stash.;)
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week12Thursday11.htm
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Am just knitting the 4ply from the last Aldi offer and its great. Went to my nearly local woolshop yesterday and got some Sirdar recycled cotton DK, although its 2.10 a 50gm ball its so soft and lovely for a special gift - I am making tiny boots with it. Just started Dgs's summer cardigans and vest tops, I will post a pic when they are done. Picked a really nice white with citrus green and yellow fleck for one cardi.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Home Bargains today had all sizes of knitting needles. mostly coloured metal although the bigger sizes were plastic. Prices started at 49p and the most expensive I could see were sizes 12 and 15mm which were 59p. also had stitch holders, stitch markers and circular needles.

Tried my HB today and they knew nothing about this :mad:
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • Poorbuthappy55
    Options
    I've just finished knitting my scarf with the Can Can wool and it's fab lots of lovely ruffles. I followed the technique on Youtube which was really helpful.
    I'm going back to my cardigan now - must finish it before I start anything else!!!
    Snowball DF Nov 2017
    Jan 2011 MBNA £2634.66 Feb £2608.37 Mar £2561.86
  • kezbabybabe
    kezbabybabe Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just got back from my day at the Stitch & Craft and I've had a fab day. I did the "learn to crochet" workshop as I've never got past doing a chain and I now feel confident to tackle a little project!!
    Never thought about doing this at one of these before, but it makes a lot of sense.
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Made a hat to match the jumper for Grandson.

Still feel odd working on circulars though. Feel as though I'm knitting back to front and want to turn my work around.
    I'm now trying an adult hat to see if something bigger feels better.

th_100_7100.jpg
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • Poorbuthappy55
    Options
    Made a hat to match the jumper for Grandson.

Still feel odd working on circulars though. Feel as though I'm knitting back to front and want to turn my work around.
    I'm now trying an adult hat to see if something bigger feels better.

th_100_7100.jpg

Cuddles these are lovely. I'm knitting the last sleeve on a cardigan for myself and the edge bands and shawl collar are on circular needles. As I'm a returner to knitting after many years I'm not sure how I'm going to get on. I'll let you know.
    Snowball DF Nov 2017
    Jan 2011 MBNA £2634.66 Feb £2608.37 Mar £2561.86
  • linni
    linni Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi knitters - this may seem a bit daft, but my dog is always getting ear infections and rather than resorting to her having a very nasty operation which even the vet isn't keen on doing, I would like to knit or crochet something to keep her ears pinned back (when at home). I used to have something crocheted but I gave it away years ago. Can anyone point me in the direction of any patterns that might be suitable. If not, i'll have to use pegs!
  • thifty
    thifty Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I am currently knitting my first big garment having only knitted baby things and scarves before and I am really stuck on a part of my pattern and wondered if anyone could help me please?
    I am on the right front of the cardigan, shaping the front slope and the pattern reads ( 48 stitches on needle)
    dec one st at raglan edge (k2tog, knit to last 3sts, k2tog, k1) in every foll alt row 29 times, then in every row 5 times, AT SAME TIME dec one st at beg (front edge) in every foll 4th row 7 times, then in every foll 6th row 5 times ... 2 stitches
    Next row k2tog Fasten off.
    The capitals and bold bits are as on the pattern. I have got nearly to the top but have got too many stitches left! I have had 3 women at my sewing group trying to help me and they are all experienced knitters. They say the pattern is badly written. It's from a Patons easy knits book.
    Hope someone can help!
    Cross Stitch Challenge Member ?Number 2013 challenge = to complete rest of millenium sampler.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback