PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Susan946, I love the cushion cover.
    Cuddles, great scarf.
    I am still doing my scarf wrap although it has been put on hold while I do a cardi for me.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lambanana
    lambanana Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    janb5 I didn't try magic loop for ages because it looked so confusing but once I gave it a go it was so easy, you need a very flexible circular needle such as the knitpro ones (I use the fixed, nickle coated ones for socks and interchangeable nickle coated for anything needing over 3mm needle) and once you get the hang of it you're off, easy peasy. There are some great tutorials on-line. I still love my DPNs and still use them but magic loop is a good skill to learn as I only have dpns up to 4.5mm but I have interchangeable circulars up to 8mm so knowing magic loop means I'm sorted for projects knit in the round on most needle sizes.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    janb5 I didn't try magic loop for ages because it looked so confusing but once I gave it a go it was so easy, you need a very flexible circular needle such as the knitpro ones (I use the fixed, nickle coated ones for socks and interchangeable nickle coated for anything needing over 3mm needle) and once you get the hang of it you're off, easy peasy. There are some great tutorials on-line. I still love my DPNs and still use them but magic loop is a good skill to learn as I only have dpns up to 4.5mm but I have interchangeable circulars up to 8mm so knowing magic loop means I'm sorted for projects knit in the round on most needle sizes.

Maybe it`s silly but what happens if you make a mistake- which I often do! - how do you sort it out if you have magic loop?

What was the best tutorial and did you have a lbm when you figured how to do it?:beer:
  • Mrs_Money
    Mrs_Money Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thought I would join in and post a few pics of things I have made. Hope you like them. :)

Brown Kidsilk Haze cardi :
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/Brownkidsilklaceandcablecardi2.jpg

Chunky cable knitted winter jumper:
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/CathsbrowncabledXmasjumperDec2009.jpg

Part of a cabled tank top I finished ages ago :
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/IMG_02561.jpg

Skull and crossbones motif :
    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/P1010013.jpg

I am currently knitting lots of socks and a lace wrap for my mother-in-law so I will post pics when done.

Love the skull and crossbones - it looks really scary and has come out so much better than others I've seen patterns for on the 'net - where did you get the pattern?
    I'd like to have a go at it!
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2011 at 9:43AM
    Options
    Here is the back of my cable cardi, knitting it using cheats cable that doesn't involve a cable needle :D:
    PIC_7479_medium.JPG
    It will be a (hopefully) quick and comfy cardigan for me.
    This is the scarf wrap design-updated with current length!:
    PIC_7487_medium.JPG
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• SuziQ1962
    Options
    Hi, just to say i have picked up my pins again(after very long time) and am halfway through the curly spiraly scarf-absolutely loving it .I am using 6mm pins and a chunky space dyed brushed mohairy yarn and it looks great!! Will post a photo when I can work out how to do it and I have finished it-thanks for the pattern and the inspiration to get started again :):):)
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/£26.00:j
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget £28.90/£100:eek:
    January 2012 Grocery challenge £378.27/£240 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    14/16 NSD in January:mad::mad:
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs :j
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Orkneystar - that cable looks fantastic. Is it quick and how is it done? Also love the scarf.

I'm working on a zip-up jacket for no2 grandson (13 months). It's a dark grey dk that his mum wanted. Don't think it will take me too ling.

Sue
  • lambanana
    Options
    Lovely knitting as usual OrkneyStar

janb5 if I make a mistake I go back and fix it the way I would on DPNs or straight knitting projects, either ripping it out or undoing it a stitch at a time back to the mistake. I like the tutorial here for a video tutorial http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Or this one is good for step by step with pictures and I am using her tutorial for how to knit magic loop two at a time http://knittinggiraffe.blogspot.com/2008/09/magic-loop-tutorial-part-1.html

I'm not sure what my ML LBM was but it did just click into place. My first ML project wasn't a sock, it was a little ipod cosy which allowed me to learn the technique on a small project (I made up the pattern but just a bit of ribbing then a tube and a 3 needle cast of to close up the end) then I used it for the ribbed band on a hat when I didn't have the right size 16cm circular needles. You might not enjoy the technique, some people don't but it's worth trying. Everything is and worst case is you have to pull it out and don't bother doing it again :) same with all new knitting techniques!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member #398 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :T
    CC: £6412.95 (0% APR until Feb 2015 which I'm hoping is also my DFD!)
    Currently awaiting the outcome of a PPI claim which may bring forward my DFD, fingers and toes crossed!
  • shjo558
    shjo558 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening all, first post on this thread!

I've never been a intricate knitter but did make baby clothes for my DS many years ago.

The one thing I just can't master is 'casting on' in the first place.

I am left handed but tend to do a lot of things right handed and think something gets mixed up when I try.

Are there any easy to understand guides out there?

Also, I quite fancy that twisty scarf I spotted a few pages back, what size of needles would I need to buy (I'm a wee bit loose when knitting;)) and how much wool does it take?

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mrs_Money wrote: »
    Love the skull and crossbones - it looks really scary and has come out so much better than others I've seen patterns for on the 'net - where did you get the pattern?
    I'd like to have a go at it!

My husband drew it for me. I may still have the pattern. I'll have a hunt for it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback