Buildings & Contents Insurance Discussion

1171819202123»

Comments

• Free_Mike
    Free_Mike Posts: 24 Forumite
    Just changed my insurance - following the 4 steps. Saved £263 from last years quote!!!
  • dell_2
    dell_2 Posts: 4,089 Forumite
    Got a flyer through the door today - We'll cut your bill or pay you up to £100 when you switch - Ref DH889

As I've said above, I don't like TSB - they turned me down for my first bank account when I was 16, so I thought - great - revenge

Now I should say that my B&C insurance is with PAYMENT SHIELD (thanks colin aka PAYLESS), so strictly speaking it's not a renewal quote, however I did explain this to the lassie on the phone - "fair enough was the reply"

PAYMENT SHIELD - £19.96/MONTH (rebuild, contents £40,000, individual items < £1,500 + accidental damage)

TSB - £24.76 - and that was the contents only!

So I said what are we going to do?

Reply - maybe you are better where you are

So what do you think? Should I try to "put them to the sword" and try to force them to meet the quote (OK I'm on thin ice), or just sit back and be smug knowing I've got a great deal?

Dont bother wasting your time on people who dont like you
  • Hi

Its around this time of year that my annual buildings and contents insurance is renewed. So I decided to look for a competitive quote. I've come across two snags;

1) Many companies do not insure flats, even purpose built ones.
    2) The value of my flat has increased over the years should the amount the buildings insured for reflect the market value ?

Any suggestions ?

Regards,

JY
  • nemo183
    nemo183 Posts: 637 Forumite
    Whilst I fully appreciate the usefulness of this site for family/owner occupiers, it's worth pointing out that the link for student house sharers appears to cover just one company - the somewhat uncompetitive Endsleigh Insurance - so although it appears to suggest it will busily trawl through all the providers, in actual fact it will only quote Endsleigh.

In the unlikely event the Endsleigh site will provide you with an online quote - normal useage suggests that it collects all your data, before announcing that "the online service is currently not available", students may find it worth comparing the Endsleigh quote with https://www.saxoninsurance.com
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    I'm trying to cut our B&C ins and gone through MSE site and not much better for us. Phoned Chase Templeton and waiting for them to ring back.

Had a look at Halifax site giving 25% for online and it says no more than 2 claims in 3 years. I couldn't proceed with this as have an old computer and 'is not security safe' for Halifax.

So phoned them and they said give discount for 2 claims in 5 YEARS.
    I said it says 3 years online and he had to check it.
    Came back and said he would give discount but it didn't amount to 25%

So watch out 25% online discount with them but not so much for phoning.

I'm still looking and it's due on 29th..!!
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Can anyone recommend a company that will cover us for B&C. We had 2 water leakage claims in 2002 and a small contents claim in 2003 (about £100). Wouldn't have claimed for that if I'd known the problems it is now causing.

Have had continous cover since but with high premiums and trying to get them down.
    Have tried the MSE chart but don't seem to get anywhere with it.

Have tried Halifax and Abbey and M&S but too costly.

Thanks for any ideas. Maisie
  • This thread has been closed and a new one opened, as the article has been updated.

See new thread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport