Buildings & Contents Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Insurance_Quote
    Options
    Hi Kerri,

If that was for a policy through paymentshield you can all so get quotes for them online. I have posted further details on the referrers board here as I'm linked to the company offering the online quotes.
    Disclosure: I am registered with the FSA for insurance mediation activities. Any comments on the board are posted purely for discussion and generic information purposes only. Full disclosure available via my profile.
  • imported_jac
    imported_jac Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I am still checking prices for Buildings and Contents. I have found quite a few Companies who are cheaper but has anyone tried claiming against their policy. Can anyone recommend a Company for it's customer service as well as it's price.

Regards
    Jackie
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Together with many others just to say thank you. I saved £120 on insurance and ended up with slightly better terms, by following a few links from your site. :T :T :T

I did steps 2 and 3, but as I had left it until last minute to seek alternatives to straight renewal, didn't have time for 1 and 4.

So thank you Martin (+over £150 of Tesco evouchers). However recognising I could have saved more how about putting in Step 0 start at least a week possibly a month before hand.

Thanks

Disorganised newbie
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    I too am looking for insurance home and contents. We're currently with Loydstsb, because we bank with them, but I know we could pay much much less in premiums.

But I'm scared. When we had a storm a couple of years ago, it took one phone call, a couple of faxed quotes, and the money was in my account by the end of the week. The service is good, and I don't want to be like the chap on the Direct Line ad, having to find the money and then recoup it.

So any advice, greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Karen
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have lloyds tsb and their service was fantastic when claiming, only had to get one quote too. They are pricey though. thinking of switching to Halifax.
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gambler wrote:
    we have lloyds tsb and their service was fantastic when claiming, only had to get one quote too. They are pricey though. thinking of switching to Halifax.

Don't forget to check Sainsburys for the identical (Halifax, well HBOS) policy - cheaper for me but YMMV.

--
    Chiny
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    Options
    just tried insure supermarket and Barclays came out at £151 (renewal £400). But when applying for further details the barclays website is quoting £203. Funny thing is it bases the quote on the barclays website on very little criteria and certainly less than the insure supermarket asks for.
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    Options
    Got the DL renewal through on Saturday. £640!

Checked out Martin's suggested website. Quotes varied 3 - 4 hundred, including DL.

Went to DL website, ran their figures from renewal through it, £270 cheaper.

Having now slept on it, will run Mrs Mac through the caculator tonight, bound to be cheaper. Take out policy in her name, cancel mine, take Mrs Mac out for a meal, several times, on the savings.

Leeson learnt. Do not renew blindly. Thanks Martin:beer:
  • floppyfreakster
    Options
    *ahem*

When you take out a policy with D/L over the phone you receive a 20% introductory discount, which is valid for the first year's cover. Naturally you would expect your renewal premium to increase by at least 20% to take account of this.

When you call us up to cancel cover at the end of the 12 months, and say that you're taking out a D/L.com policy, that's fine. You're perfectly within your right to do so.

One thing I would say, though, is that the only reason that you're benefiting from a discount by buying online is that the system incorrectly gives you this discount. It also means that the policy will, again, inevitably shoot up by 25% the next year, and even more if you make a claim!

The great thing about being insured by us, though, is that we do not penalise you for claiming as much as some other companies.

To put it lightly, if you're being given a 65% No Claims Discount by another company, and you make a claim, the policy should, in theory, shoot up by 65% the next year! With D/L we don't offer no claims discounts, and therefore we don't penalise you as much!

Be wary of blanket policies covering you for up to £50,000 for contents and so on. Check the unspecified valuables limit. This could be as low as £8,000. Do you really think you only have £8,000 worth of jewellery and other 'high risk' items (as other companies may call them)?

Just some words of advice.
  • ronaldmacdonald
    Options
    Gambler wrote:
    just tried insure supermarket and Barclays came out at £151 (renewal £400). But when applying for further details the barclays website is quoting £203. Funny thing is it bases the quote on the barclays website on very little criteria and certainly less than the insure supermarket asks for.
    I noticed this and rang up Barclays when the difference was 80%!! Apparently the insure supermarket quotes the MINIMUM available price and so is completely misleading compared to when you go to "accept the quote" and then get redirected to the Barclays site.

Now they wouldnt have done this to get top of the insure supermarket quote list surely :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure