Buildings & Contents Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• BigDunc
    BigDunc Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    I too am looking for insurance home and contents. We're currently with Loydstsb, because we bank with them, but I know we could pay much much less in premiums.

But I'm scared. When we had a storm a couple of years ago, it took one phone call, a couple of faxed quotes, and the money was in my account by the end of the week. The service is good, and I don't want to be like the chap on the Direct Line ad, having to find the money and then recoup it.

So any advice, greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Karen

My renewal letter came through from the Halifax recently, they wanted £779 for this year's B&C insurance. Halifax also offer quotes online so I went through that and it came out at just over £400. I rang up to complain and asked how it was possible that I could be charged almost 100% more. I was told that it wouldn't be possible to get that price on my current type of policy. I can only assume that means a policy for people who don't check the absorbitant amounts the bank likes to charge.

Anyway, I went through the facts and figures with the helpline chap and it came to about £560. He said the difference between that price and the web price would be down to the 25% on-line discount. My on-line application has been accepted and the expensive one binned.

The point I am trying to make is if you want to stick with Lloyds, get a quote from them from https://www.lloydstsb.com, they offer a 15% discount for booking on-line so it will probably work out cheaper.

Duncan
    Fiscal drag, that's my problem. Too many people dragging on my fiscals.
  • dibbs26
    dibbs26 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I tried nhi insurance with heath lambert, they saved me a fortune..........try em for a quote and see...............
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BigDunc wrote:
    The point I am trying to make is if you want to stick with Lloyds, get a quote from them from https://www.lloydstsb.com, they offer a 15% discount for booking on-line so it will probably work out cheaper.

Duncan

Lloyds wanted £400 so I went for the same policy with the Halifax for £215, works out at £18 per month.

Phoned up Lloyds to say I wouldn't be renewing and guess what.........they will do the original £400 cover for £15 per month.

Too late now anyway, or is there a 14 day cooling off period?
  • BungleGirl
    BungleGirl Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    I got my Halifax buildings and Contents renewal through today £499.06. I had a look on insuresupermarket - halifax was coming up LOADS cheaper than the quote that they had sent me. Went through to their website for a detailed quote and for exactly the same policy it is £309.38 - a saving of £189.68!!

Called Halifax and they said no problem for me to do it online - I just need to let them know that I don't want to go ahead with the renewal quote that they sent me. Very helpful guy - sounded as though he was used to people calling about exactly the same thing.

Glad I got to the post this morning before my other half as he would have just accepted the original quote.
  • geoffs_3
    Options
    M&S are offering £50 off home insurance until August. Check out

http://www6.marksandspencer.com/

I was quoted £156 for 150k building and 50k contents insurance compared to my existing insurer who was quoting £266, and they insure in Northern Ireland as well.
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We got our Building and Contents insurance renewal quote this morning and they (Direct Line) were asking for £275.10. I dug out last year's paperwork and we paid £194.25. I've just been on their website and entered our details as if for a new quote and increased the amount of contents cover. The new quote is £182.83.

How can they justify this? :mad:
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • itsfrommark
    itsfrommark Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    There does not appear to be a clear answer to the problem of gaining building insurance where there is a history of subsidence. I own a mid terrace house which has no subsidence (detailed surveyors report) but the two end of terrace properties did many years ago. They have been underpinned. Our current insurer has changed its policy to include subsidence up to 50 metres away, leaving us without insurance. There is the added complication that the property is let at present.
    It would be very welcome to hear from insurers who take a sensible line on this as thousands of properties are affected by this directly or indirectly.
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some insurers are limiting their exposure, and many "direct providers" have always cherry picked - but with a report detailing the facts ( as you describe) I would be surprised to find you not being able to get cover - perhaps speak to a few brokers

( BTW .. unusual for existing insurer not to renew , even if changed policy for new business)
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • mike_the_bike_2
    Options
    ...Hi Folks...made the very big mistake of logging a claim with Direct Line for Subsidence...At the end of the day it turned out to be very minor cracking caused by a local authority tree on the verge that hadn't been cut in 15 years...Got the tree pruned, cracks were patched up and 8 years later no further problems..No need for underpinning or anything serious like that

Trouble is I seem stuck with Direct Line as the property has the dreaded "subsidence" claim against it & they are milking it for all its worth...Premium went up £120 last year and now another £140 ..Now paying £430 buildings on £180K rebuilding... Any ideas what I should do?
    The Early bird may catch the worm ...but its the second mouse that gets all the cheese!
  • eml_3
    eml_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Hurrah - thanks MSE! UIA quoted us £340 to renew our buildings and contents insurance, so I tried the suggestions from here and Norwich Union have offered us £173! I nearly fell off my chair with shock and am now torturing myself with how much we could have saved over the years!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure